add naval units?

Ripcord

Ok, need some explanation for ship basic data:

GT.life = 2100 <= Life (¿damage units? some

GT.mass = 4.1e+006 (No in tons ¿?)

GT.max_velocity = 14.9189 (no in knots ¿Km/h?)

GT.race_velocity = 14.9189 (no in knots ¿Km/h?)

GT.economy_velocity = 10.2889 (no in knots ¿Km/h?)

GT.economy_distance = 8.334e+006 (¿on meters?)

GT.race_distance = 2.778e+006 (¿on meters?)

GT.shipLength = 137.5 (¿on meters?)

GT.Width = 13.5 (¿on meters?)

GT.Height = 31.5 (¿on meters?)

GT.Length = 137.5 (¿on meters?)

GT.DeckLevel = 5.8 (¿on meters?)

GT.X_nose = 59.1924 (unkonow)

GT.X_tail = -64.9268 (unkonow)

GT.Tail_Width = 13.5 (unkonow)

GT.Gamma_max = 0.35 (unkonow)

GT.Om = 0.05 v (unkonow)

GT.speedup = 0.269786 (¿aceleration m/s?)

GT.R_min = 275 (unkonow)

GT.distFindObstacles = 462.5 (unkonow)

GT.numParking = 1 (¿helo aprons?)

GT.Plane_Num_ = 0

GT.Helicopter_Num_ = 2

GT.airWeaponDist = 100000 (¿on meters?)

GT.airFindDist = 150000 (¿on meters?)

GT.Landing_Point = {-55.3, 4.73, 0.0}

;

As far as units go, unless otherwise stated, use meters for distance, m/s for speed, kg for mass, radians for rotation (occasionally degrees), and seconds for time. Specifically, gamma_max looks like the maximum bank (swaying) of the ship in the water and Om might be the rate at which it sways.

Edited by SilentEagle

As far as units go, unless otherwise stated, use meters for distance, m/s for speed, kg for mass, radians for rotation (occasionally degrees), and seconds for time. Specifically, gamma_max looks like the maximum bank (swaying) of the ship in the water and Om might be the rate at which it sways.

Meters per second seems correct for speed - e.g. in Silver_Dragon's example, max speed of some 14.9 m/s would translate to some 29 knots. The "economy_velocity" of ~ 10.3 m/s equals some 20 knots, which is the speed often used when stating max range(endurance) at economy speed for warships.

But what do figures like: "4.1e+006" mean?

For the Ticonderoga class "GT_mass" is set to "9.59e+006" - the displacement of this type of ship is some 9.600 tons(standard load), so I can see the relation with the "9.59" bit, but what exactly does the remaining "e+006" denote?

BTW I believe that the: "GT.X_nose = 59.1924" and "GT.X_tail = -64.9268"(in Silver_Dragon's example - OHP class) have something to do with the position for bow spray and stern wake repectively - i.e. distance in meters from center point of ship, where positive value= forward and negative=towards rear.

At least that seems to fit perfectly with the length of the OHP class frigate at waterline level(some 124 m). The full length of the hull is some 136 m, so the difference in distance from centerpoint is down to the "over hang", which is more pronounce at the bow - hence shorter distance to "spray point".

Edited by Alfa

JJ

Means 6 zeros: 4100 tonns = 4.1 *1000 * 1000 in kilogramms

Same with distances : Economy Range 8300 km = 8.3 * 1000 * 1000 in meters

Cheers

Edited by HungaroJET

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Yep, aeb means a * 10^b, where a is a real number (usually taken 1 < a < 10) and b is an integer.

Edited by Corrigan

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Means 6 zeros: 4100 tonns = 4.1 *1000 * 1000 in kilogramms

Same with distances : Economy Range 8300 km = 8.3 * 1000 * 1000 in meters

Cheers

Yes I figured as much(it would have to be for the value to make sense), but I just wondered about the format :)

JJ

Added a ship but it doesn't seem to move with the swells like boats in the scenery files. Anyone from ED available to comment on that? I checked to see if the sailboat EDMs have that movement animated, but it does indeed seem to be generated by the sim, not the model. Perhaps it's as simple as a couple lines in EDM attributes?

BTW - I made a quick test on the "GT.X_nose" and "GT.X_tail" values and they do indeed move the position of bow spray and wake in relation to the hull.

Furthermore, the "GT.Tail_Width" sets the width of the wake, but doesn't seem to affect cavitation(width between spray from propellors), so this may be fixed to "GT.Width".

JJ

Added a ship but it doesn't seem to move with the swells like boats in the scenery files. Anyone from ED available to comment on that? I checked to see if the sailboat EDMs have that movement animated, but it does indeed seem to be generated by the sim, not the model. Perhaps it's as simple as a couple lines in EDM attributes?

Are you comparing your new ship with another ship of similar class, or comparing with the sailboat? Not being a smartass, just I think I'm missing something in the question. It might be that sailboats, being 'fixed objects' (I see them listed along with houses and kindergartens and bridges) would very well have some attributes or animations that the mobile user-placed objects do not have. Is that what you are suggesting?

EDIT: damn this thread sure has come a long way in the last 24-48 hours. great stuff that people are uncovering!!

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Meters per second seems correct for speed - e.g. in Silver_Dragon's example, max speed of some 14.9 m/s would translate to some 29 knots. The "economy_velocity" of ~ 10.3 m/s equals some 20 knots, which is the speed often used when stating max range(endurance) at economy speed for warships.

For the Ticonderoga class "GT_mass" is set to "9.59e+006" - the displacement of this type of ship is some 9.600 tons(standard load), so I can see the relation with the "9.59" bit, but what exactly does the remaining "e+006" denote?

BTW I believe that the: "GT.X_nose = 59.1924" and "GT.X_tail = -64.9268"(in Silver_Dragon's example - OHP class) have something to do with the position for bow spray and stern wake repectively - i.e. distance in meters from center point of ship, where positive value= forward and negative=towards rear.

At least that seems to fit perfectly with the length of the OHP class frigate at waterline level(some 124 m). The full length of the hull is some 136 m, so the difference in distance from centerpoint is down to the "over hang", which is more pronounce at the bow - hence shorter distance to "spray point".

These are comments in db_units_ships.lua file:

GT.MaxSpeed = GT.max_velocity * 3.6; -- *3600/1000 м/с->км/ч поле для ограничения скорости унита в редакторе

Translation:

m/c = meters per second

км/ч = kilometers per hour

поле для ограничения скорости унита в редакторе == field for a unit's speed limitation (max speed) in the editor.

so then, is this suggesting that GT.max_velocity is being multiplied by a factor of 3.6 to covert from meters/second to kilometers/hour? I suppose that would make sense, since there are 3600 seconds in an hour, and 1000 meters in a kilometer.... crap, I was never good at story problems!!

I guess this would also indicate that the mission editor max speed is given in km / hour....? Oh no, wait we have the choice of using Imperial units or Metric units for the mission editor....

Edited by Ripcord

Take a look in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Scripts\Database\scripts and open GT_t

There are settings for teetering/swaying/rocking of CARS along all three axes, but nothing for SHIPS.

-- номера аргументов анимации для машинок

generic_vehicle.animation_arguments.body_swing_pitch = 20; -- качание при движении по тангажу

generic_vehicle.animation_arguments.body_swing_vertical = 21; -- качание при движении вверх-вниз

generic_vehicle.animation_arguments.body_swing_roll = 22; -- качание при движении по крену

generic_vehicle = generic_vehicle;

But this would make sense since the sailboat is treated as scenery and not a mobile/placeable object that reads these metatable settings. Maybe the naval ships, mobile units, just don't have these parameters?

Geez, you own this thread now! :D

But this would make sense since the sailboat is treated as scenery and not a mobile/placeable object that reads these metatable settings. Maybe the naval ships, mobile units, just don't have these parameters?

Looks like you've arrived at my question, as poorly stated as it was. Hopefully this is not the case! I've found nothing else, and I'm giving up on swaying ship objects for now. If you notice, none of the other (place-able) ship objects have that swaying motion.

Geez, you own this thread now! :D

Hardly so. But I did start this thread. If you don't mind I'll continue to participate in it...(sorry, being a smart-ass there). ;)

Really though, some good stuff going on here and I pulled up some Russian commentary in the lua files -- figured I'd share them, just in case they were revelant. Maybe they weren't.

Looks like you've arrived at my question, as poorly stated as it was. Hopefully this is not the case! I've found nothing else, and I'm giving up on swaying ship objects for now. If you notice, none of the other (place-able) ship objects have that swaying motion.

I had been messing around looking at these fixed objects, trying to figure out some way to add them to the structures that can be placed in the ME, and in doing so I came accross the 'boats' object and realized those are the little sailboats. So I had some idea that perhaps those were fixed objects (even if they do seem to move) and thus they might behave differently. But certainly I had never observed them in contrast with the mobile ship objects -- good eye!

These are comments in db_units_ships.lua file:

GT.MaxSpeed = GT.max_velocity * 3.6; -- *3600/1000 м/с->км/ч поле для ограничения скорости унита в редакторе..

so then, is this suggesting that GT.max_velocity is being multiplied by a factor of 3.6 to covert from meters/second to kilometers/hour? I suppose that would make sense, since there are 3600 seconds in an hour, and 1000 meters in a kilometer....

Yes its conversion from m/s to km/h, but as the commentary says, this is just for displaying the speed in the Editor. The "db_units_ships.lua" file isn't really interesting in terms of adding new ships - it has to do with how this class of objects as such is defined in the Editor :) .

JJ

Yes its conversion from m/s to km/h, but as the commentary says, this is just for displaying the speed in the Editor. The "db_units_ships.lua" file isn't really interesting in terms of adding new ships - it has to do with how this class of objects as such is defined in the Editor :) .

Yeah, probably so -- just spoking thru these files, trying to see what I could fine that relates, seeing if I could learn something.

I think the tricky part of this is going to be the 3d model aspect, getting the model converted. That is a whole art form in itself.

Yeah, probably so -- just spoking thru these files, trying to see what I could fine that relates, seeing if I could learn something.

Yeah me too - and its a good idea, because the more you understand about the overall "system", the better chance you have to make a mod work properly - and even come up with ideas for new ones :) .

I think the tricky part of this is going to be the 3d model aspect, getting the model converted. That is a whole art form in itself.

Indeed. But also the armament - I guess as long as a new unit just needs to be equipped with existing systems, it should be quite managable to compose the armament by picking systems out of existing scripts. But I wonder to what extend it is possible to "customize" a weapon system.

Edited by Alfa

JJ

That part is obviously very well documented elsewhere on the internet. The last step, converting the model, is also very easy. The "Latest EDM Model Tools" thread has everything you need to know in the first post, really.

Well wether building a 3D model of a warship can be considered easy or not, I think depends highly on your level of ambition - I realise that this is a flight sim and as such there is a tendency to settle for a fidelity level much below that of aircraft.

But building a good(accurate) and high fidelity ship model is definately not an easy task - ship hulls are every bit as complex as airframes of aircraft and given the density and complexity of systems "top-side", they tend to be monster projects - not to mention giving headaches in terms of the resulting poly count.

JJ

Didn't say it was easy, I said it's well documented! There's plenty of tutorials on the internet for the unsure.

Ok misunderstood that one - sorry :)

Also... Aarhus?

No not really :D - just the nearest town from where I live.

JJ