Three Screen Setup With Laptop

martinistripes

I'm not really looking to build a full cockpit but I figured you guys would be the most knowledgable to ask about this. Is it possible to connect two monitors to my laptop. I'm thinking the 17" laptop screen central and maybe a 15" monitor either side. Can I connect one montior to the DVI and the other to the HDMI? And if so, would the horizontal resolution bring the GPU to a crawl? Would there be any additonal load on the CPU?

Video card is a Radeon HD 6990M.

Basically, I'm wanting more screen area/resolution without spending on a desktop system.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

• ED Team

I am not sure with laptops and at the time of typing this I have a HD 6770

But to enable three screens running I had to use both dvi slots on my card and the display port via a ACTIVE dongle for the third.

It may well be different for your card but I would ask around the ATI forums for a definitive answer.

I initially got it wrong and wasted £20 on a passive dongle, so make sure you do some research before committing :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

No - I don't think you can use only your 6990M for this.

The DVI is only a "mirror" of the HDMI. ( you should check if this is a DVI-D or S) use wiki or goggle to look up the different specs. of DVI .. it can be confusing...

Means :

When you plug in a HDMI cable in - your DVI will be inactive (AFAIK - make some tests - the adapters are cheap).

You can only look for a TH2GO as a "real" TH solution.

Or use a USB monitor solution... (but this is far away the best solution if you looking for performance in DX9-11...)

Now that we talked about the "is it possible?"...

....here some notes about the performance:

Pleas also goggle for what the "M" stands for and what this means for the capabilities of your card.

HD 6990M isn't getting close to the performance of a "real" HD 6990

And you also have to know that a TH setting raises the needed V-ram significant.

Edited by PeterP