Put DCS World on Steam Greenlight?

pieceofmind

I don't think there's any need for exclusivity to Steam, so I don't see why anyone can object to it being available there as well as through your current channels. As I said at the start Steam has an enormous userbase and to not be able to pitch these titles to them is a missed opportunity. It may be evident but I would argue Steam is more a marketing tool than a DRM service. Rightly or wrongly a lot of gamers rarely or never venture outside its limits.

If ED are still looking at this issue and are aware of greenlight then that's all I wanted to hear. I'm sure they're capable to do what's best for them.

More to the point, it's gonna suck when we're completely at the mercy of the company--we're mostly there now, but in time, it'll be worse and the average user will eventually be able to feel it, instead of only the more critical ones.

It looks like you avoid mentioning the benefits to the consumer as well. Since you're a frequent user of Steam you'd be aware others find convenience in automatic patching, game downloads always being available and unlimited (temporary server issues aside), integrated community features and so on.

Games are a luxury and there's really no need IMO to take a doom and gloom attitude to how they're delivered. I just do no accept the argument that consumers would gradually erode their rights away to a point where playing games is actually to their detriment rather than something they do for enjoyment. There's no evidence of that happening and it's an argument based on fear of what is possible rather than what is likely. Godwin's law is irrelevant because we're talking about access to games here, something that any willing agent in the market can provide - not the abuse of basic human rights by a government. There is just no comparison.

• 3 weeks later...
Please do a search of the forum. ED has made overtures to Steam with regard to new products. Steam is not interested.

That's just it though, Greenlight takes it out of the hands of Valve and leaves it up to the customers to pick the games. Nothing is lost by listing DCS: World on Greenlight and seeing what customers will vote for it. It's value added to have it on Steam, not a must. I see no immediate negatives if it is though. If DCS: World uses it's own patch engine Steam updates are largely irrelevant.

Please do a search of the forum. ED has made overtures to Steam with regard to new products. Steam is not interested.

Actually that is the whole point of Steam Greenlight: To let Valve know that there are people who would like to see a game on Steam that isn't yet.

Actually that is the whole point of Steam Greenlight: To let Valve know that there are people who would like to see a game on Steam that isn't yet.

I get that, I am also aware that ED knows about Greenlight. It is still in EDs hands, so they will do what they want, when they want.

Either way, this communty is too small to have an impact on Steam voting.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I wonder why people keep forgetting that.

Blinders. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

DCS World Greenlighted?

How come DCS World isnt greenlighted over there at Steam?

I would vote for it!

:thumbup:

lol Old news I guess.......Didnt find out about this until Steam sent a email yesterday about it.. Oh well USA is always last to know.

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

It's on Origin now. That should make someone happy.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1556606#post1556606

EDIT: Which makes me wonder, why would anyone buy A-10 on Origin? It says it is a 7GB download. It doesn't say that it is a nine month old, obsolete version. It doesn't mention DCS World at all.

Edited by cichlidfan

I have nothing against steam or origin, and I have nothing against DCS (or any other game for that matter) being available on any such service. What I do have a problem with is when I go to the store and pick up a hard copy of a game and then I am still required to install it on one of these services. I don't have anything against DRM, but if I wanted a game on steam, I would buy it on steam, not go to the store.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have nothing against steam or origin, and I have nothing against DCS (or any other game for that matter) being available on any such service. What I do have a problem with is when I go to the store and pick up a hard copy of a game and then I am still required to install it on one of these services. I don't have anything against DRM, but if I wanted a game on steam, I would buy it on steam, not go to the store.

unfortunately you wont be able to buy these games from a store near you. in the near future, you'll have to buy digital down loads...

or travel over a hundred miles to the nearest mega store to buy, i.e Fry's electronic.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||