Random failure? My guns jammed my engine?

JozMk.II

Regarding the engine seizing at certain power settings in the air, but not at the same settings on the ground: there are a few variables which may affect this. One is temperature, and another is oncoming airflow. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am can clarify.

Okay, I've at last managed to complete the cross-country challenge campaign mission. I kept engine RPM and MP in the green arcs while flying level, pushed both beyond the green arcs while climbing, and used a high RPM with a lower MP while descending toward the destination base. At last, made it without my engine seizing.smile.gif

Continuing the campaign, enjoying the subsequent missions, so far without engine seizure...

Okay, I've at last managed to complete the cross-country challenge campaign mission. I kept engine RPM and MP in the green arcs while flying level, pushed both beyond the green arcs while climbing, and used a high RPM with a lower MP while descending toward the destination base. At last, made it without my engine seizing.smile.gif

Continuing the campaign, enjoying the subsequent missions, so far without engine seizure...

Try a high altitude cruise with 2400RPM and MP in green will kill your engine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I too have been having engine seizures, and posted my issues here

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96403

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

My engine just died in this guided tour mission, while descending from 30000 ft to 25000 ft. And I did my best to keep needles within green range of gauges. Even used radiator flaps to prevent oil from overheat.

Hi Ophiuchus,

I've not got lots of experience on 1.2.1 but I've only had difficult to quantify problems with 'over-boosting' - i.e too much MP and too little RPM. I think Yo-yo said there's a little fix coming for this? In due course. Overheating seems to me to be reasonably well metered and manageable - you probably know the radiator switches need to be held for the duration of operation (10+ seconds from closed to open). I've been totally manual on the radiators so far.

As a result of over-boost problems, I've been being over cautious probably - am doing long range practise flights lately which seem like the best way to get to know the motor and find the limits of over heating, radiator 'authority', over-boost limits, etc.

I've done 3 longish flights (1 overboost engine seizure so far only). Have just completed a long flt without incident which took me to 30000+ followed by a smart but not hasty descent.

I don't use max continuous settings for the climb - I've been going for c.40'MP and 2700RPM for the initial climb - Like I said I have only done 3 long range test flights so far in 1.2.1. Once above say 15000ft I reduce the RPM by 500, then again at 20000ft, and so on - BUT reducing the MP a bit everytime - I cruised happily at 30000+ at 26-27'MP and 2500RPM with about 240IAS - probably cautious but...

I descended on about 15'MP and only notched the RPM forward 500 at a time starting at about 18000-15000ft, I repeated this until RPM was set at 2700 at about 5000ft . I think I started closing the radiators manually to not over cool the motor as well (and vaguely remember closing ram air and adding heat at one point - this flt was last weekend).

An over-long reply and probably over-cautious approach but it works for me.

Hope this helps some:thumbup:

EDIT: Have edited this loads for clarity, over a few hours - sorry have Manflu :(

Edited by VIMANAMAN

Thanks Viamanaman, some useful tips for noob like me ;). And shame on me, I didn't read the manual thoroughly enough.

I reckon I need to brush up on the theory if I'm going to get the hang of this...light reading for me too I think

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound