Accepted to Officer Training School.

Graves0922

Ropes and harness on a Confidence Course? What is this bullshit? :P

In Army pre-commision officer training, our Confidence Course was completely unprotected: if you fell, you broke your leg, or worse. None of it was technically difficult, so a fall wasn't a major risk so long as you paid attention to what you were doing, but the possibility of serious injury was very real.

As an aside on inter-service rivalry: the Army and Airforce, and likewise the Navy and Marines, depend upon each other to such a degree that neither could accomplish their mission without the other's help. That said, if you visit the Air Force Academy, the monuments and objects on display are almost entirely of the aircraft flown by academy graduates. If you visit West Point, the monuments and statuary are all of the academy graduates themselves who led soldiers in battle with distinction and honor. I think that difference in emphasis (the impact of a machine versus the impact of a man), and what that implies about the values of the respective branches, speaks for itself.

Also, what I remember of my Navy days, we always competed with each other be it craft trade or sports or which company, platoon, squad was the best. To stay sharp. So, the inter-service differences and negative attitude towards each other is a good thing to excel at being the best at what we did.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update: Graduated and commissioned on the 18th. Drove to Pensacola NAS for my CSO training. I don't officially start until after I spend a month in Colorado learning how to fly and a couple days back in Pensacola for water survival training. We get to watch the blue angels practice everyday. Pretty neat. T6's are all over the place with the current trainees and they're stupidly fast for a prop.

Welcome and congrats, Im also a GIB (Guy In the Back) Electronic Warfare Officer in South African Air Force. Best job in the world. You get to fly a vast amount of different AC (and trust me you will get more than enough hands on....you will soon find yourself to be the human auto pilot. Enjoy dude and congrats.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome and congrats, Im also a GIB (Guy In the Back) Electronic Warfare Officer in South African Air Force. Best job in the world. You get to fly a vast amount of different AC (and trust me you will get more than enough hands on....you will soon find yourself to be the human auto pilot. Enjoy dude and congrats.
Wow I'm surprised to see an EWO from SA here on the forums. If you don't mind I have a few questions:

Where are you based?

How often does the SAAF send you out and how many flight hours do you guys get a month?

Are you the EWO of the SAAB Gripen?

Will you do a flyby over my house? :D

I really wish I saw fighters more often here in SA. They used to fly all the time nearby years ago with Impala's and Cheetah's from Hoedspruit/Makhado but now just silence.

Edit: Congrats as well Graves. It's been interesting reading this thread. I wish you tons of luck for the future, just keep us updated when you can.

Edited by SyntaxError

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA

• 1 year later...

Any updates Graves0922 ?

Hope you did it and still living your dream! :thumbup:

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT