Russian Air Force Photos and Video (NO DISCUSSION)

Flаnker

This is the device in USAF.

Note the blue bands - they indicate inert/inactive sections. This is a training missile, you cannot launch it, but it has electronics onboard:

http://files.air-attack.com/MIL/f22/f22_catm120_20101014.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

This is the device in USAF.

Note the blue bands - they indicate inert/inactive sections. This is a training missile, you cannot launch it, but it has electronics onboard:

http://files.air-attack.com/MIL/f22/f22_catm120_20101014.jpg

What's the difference? Both devices allow you to train pilots.

092836.jpg

Edited by Flаnker

Just sharing information.

As for difference: I don't know about CATM-120, but CATM-9 has a working seeker for example, so you can actually use it as an actual AIM-9, it's just stuck to your pylon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

To be honest it sounds like a thing the Russian Air Force would do - not relying on a weapon with foreign parts

Well this is not just a Russian thing - e.g. I recall a case during the cold war where an ammunition manufacturer in West Germany(IIRC - or another Nato country) purchased gun powder from a factory in Czechoslovakia because it was cheaper, but had to stop the practice because some bright head in NATO posed the question as to what would happen to the supply in case the cold war would turn "hot" :)

(can anybody shine a light on what countries are these components from?)

I think for the most part general off-the-shelve electronic components, microprocessors etc, which could be of Japanese or US orign and mass produced in the far east.

During Soviet times manufacture of such things was usually directly connected to military production, but with the collapse of the SU and the subsequent "drying out" of military funding, a large part of the "underforest" of suppliers either disappeared or changed their production to civilian goods.

So in the case of the R-77 versus RVV-AE(export version) it might simply be that it, at the time, was possible only to produce the weapon using foreign components because no domestic alternatives were available. This in turn would prevent the RVV-AE from entering service with Russian forces due to the import restrictions, but not from being produced for export and thereby keeping arms manufactures alive/providing a much needed source of income.

Besides, aside from circomstances surrounding the weapon itself you also need aircraft compatible with it which, aside from the MiG-29S(9-13S), the Russian airforce didn't have until very recently. There isn't much information available on the MiG-29S - how many 9-13 airframes recieved the radar upgrade in the first place, what it actually involves or what the current status is. For all we know the radar upgrade could have been applied to a few airframes only as a test meassure in support of further R-77 development after development of the multirole types originally intended to deploy it was suspended.

The Russian military is known for showing off technological advances that work but operationally are just smoke and mirrors- they test it, it works well and they can use it, but practically speaking odds are there are at most few missiles available. To counter that impression of course, add deadweight ones to anything vaguely compatible.

Well most of the information published on varies equipment comes from the arms manufactures(and state export agency - Rosboronexport) and since it can be difficult to persuade a prospective export customer to be the first to purchase a particular piece of equipment, you can understand why it may be tempting to give the impression that the item in question is already operational or at least closer to IOC than it actually is - in many cases it takes a signed contract to obtain the funding(bank loans/guarantees) necessary for final development, volume testing and certification.

Edited by Alfa

JJ

This is used by most if not all air forces. The point here is that training sessions that we know about for RuAF have been using R-27R, not R-77, until fairly recently.

Well there are some old photos showing a MiG-29S carrying R-77 training rounds(painted red), but whether this involved actual tactical training or merely missile testing is another matter - probably the latter.

JJ

Medium-range missiles allowed on the ground in the Astrakhan region. Usually pilots fly simulators with missiles. The rocket can be hung on the plane limited number of times (this applies to any missiles (Russian or American)).

I know missiles has a certain number of flight numbers. Doesn't explain the fact that they have never been seen hung on actual RuAF aircrafts.

I know missiles has a certain number of flight numbers. Doesn't explain the fact that they have never been seen hung on actual RuAF aircrafts.

Unfortunately, in Russia of arming the information is secret. The lack of photos is not evidence of absence missiles. For example: 2 years there are only 2 pictures Su34 with the Kh-31. Photos of aircraft capable of applying too little (these aircraft are based in the eastern part of the country. There's little aviation photographers. They are rarely allowed on this air base)

Unfortunately, in Russia of arming the information is secret. The lack of photos is not evidence of absence missiles. For example: 2 years there are only 2 pictures Su34 with the Kh-31. Photos of aircraft capable of applying too little (these aircraft are based in the eastern part of the country. There's little aviation photographers. They are rarely allowed on this air base)

Two is more, than zero.;)

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

I think (but not sure) i have seen more than two pictures of operational Su-34's with Kh-31's.

None the less, one would think the crowd that was so certain that RuAF has/uses R-77's would have coughed evidence up by now.

None the less, one would think the crowd that was so certain that RuAF has/uses R-77's would have coughed evidence up by now.

It is not about evidence on this forum. There is way too much spin with some "facts" and "evidence" here. And there will always be somebody who will ask unreasonable questions, regardless of the evidence presented.

BTW, F-15 can not carry 8 AMRAAM's? Show me a picture that it can, training missiles do not count. This is the type of a question that can not be handled properly on this forum. Same as showing the picture of MiG-29S with one or six R-77's under its wings.

Talking about R-77, Russia had every reason to be secretive at the end of the cold war and collapse of the Soviet Union. With the collapse of USSR, integrated defense collapsed, integrated industrial complex collapsed, integrated educational system, health care, judicial system, collapsed ... A lot's of people struggled to make it enough for food.

It makes a perfect sense that with what little they had, the Russian military was very secretive and was very careful to not expose its hardware to unnecessary wear and tear. And even with USSR collapsing, there was no need to carry or use R-77's. That is additional reason for the R-77 not been seen often.

Therefore we don't see R-77's being carried around. Even today, you don't see R-77 carried around ... I am sure that, if there is a conflict with Russia needing R-77's, you would see them all over around.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Therefore we don't see R-77's being carried around. Even today, you don't see R-77 carried around ... I am sure that, if there is a conflict with Russia needing R-77's, you would see them all over around.

^ true

BTW, F-15 can not carry 8 AMRAAM's? Show me a picture that it can, training missiles do not count.

^ that's the same reason - as r-77 on su-27 - why we wont see 8 aim-120 on eagles

only 1 training/inert missile is sufficient on f-15 , so im sure we will never ever see 8 catm-120 on eagles :) but the 8 live missile loadout is much more realistic

sign-pic4.jpg

The question of the R-77 useage isn't about finding pictures - the point is that you cannot even produce a picture of this type of armament in operation with the RuAF regarding 9.13C, never mind other aircraft of the time, and even up to 2005. There is certainly no other documentation or information that would indicate there was any significant R-77 stock.

To then try to turn this around to finding pics of F-15's hauling 8 AIM-120's, where we actually have radar manuals and corroboration from other sources that not only it is possible, but it may be a preferred payload in some situations ... is nothing but cynicism.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It makes a perfect sense that with what little they had, the Russian military was very secretive and was very careful to not expose its hardware to unnecessary wear and tear. And even with USSR collapsing, there was no need to carry or use R-77's. That is additional reason for the R-77 not been seen often.

You are right

New Su-30SM,first they stripped off it's canards,and now they painted it blue instead of bad-ass black???WTF???

Drugs are bad. :) And last i checked aubergine =/= black. And thank heaven it is painted properly now in proper camo and proper stars and not that utterly horrible POS aubergine color.