HOTAS Warthog Ministick in Flaming Cliffs

You need to assign the ministick axes to a control on the controls settings page within the sim. For some reason the sim doesn't pick up the ministick axes when you move the stick around so you have to manually select the ministick axes from the dropdown menu. JOY_RX and JOY_RY are the ones you want.

Ex. to use the ministick to slew the F-15C TDC around, assign JOY_RX to "TDC Slew Horizontal" and JOY_RY to "TDC Slew Vertical." You'll also want to invert the JOY_RY axis from the axis tune page. I also set saturation to 50 for both JOY_RX and JOY_RY for smoother control.

"Same for me only joy_x and joy_Y, no joy_rx. But it does appear to work ok. the slewing is all over the place though, even with the saturation changed. I wanted the same smooth movement you get in DCS a-10c slewing."

Are you running a script profile via TM Target software though? If you're not running a script you'll have separate controllers identified for "TM Warthog Stick" and "TM Warthog Throttle" in sim, each with their own JOY_X and JOY_Y axes. If running a script then only the "TM Warthog Combined" is available as a controller.

EDIT: Added screenshot

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/dcsaxes.png/

Edited by Priest
Added screenshot

I cheated this a bit to make it easier in the meantime before learning how to really model the axes properly (and the Script manual gives the hint that DCS A-10 uses Axes "Relative" Mapping instead of "Absolute" to solve this problem) by placing the SCX and SCY as the DX_XROT and DX_YROT Axes, then doing a massive reduction in Saturation and a moderate curve as follows:

TDC Horizontal:

Deadzone: 25

Saturation X: 100

Saturation Y: 15

Curvature: 35

TDC Vertical:

Deadzone: 5

Saturation Y: 25

Curvature: -20

Checked off Inverted.

I find this to be very smooth, albeit a bit slow. As said before, I believe the real solution lies in making the X and Y Mouse axes in the TARGET script as "Relative"; this will require more study of the software for me to follow how to apply properly (and I just bought the thing yesterday).

Similar technique (from cursory review of the Script manual) also seems to be how the Warthog gets around the keystroke issues of the autopilot settings; I'm looking to apply that as well, and also a press-sequencing order to invoke the changes in HUD modes relative to the F-15 HOTAS as best as FC3 allows.

Wonder if DonUlfulso (I think that was his handle) ever messed with this version of the software...

First off, in order for DCS to see your microstick axes as mappable in-game, in your TARGET profile you need to have the following DX axis definitions:

MapAxis(&Throttle, SCX, DX_XROT_AXIS);

MapAxis(&Throttle, SCY, DX_YROT_AXIS);

Then in the DCS UI, you ought to be able to select JOY_RX and JOY_RY as your horizontal and vertical slew axes.

I too have been annoyed with how sensitive these axes are though, even after significantly flattening their response curves in the controls UI. lunaticfringe, good find about MAP_ABSOLUTE vs. MAP_RELATIVE, I had completely forgotten about those options. Since the TARGET script editor manual states that MAP_ABSOLUTE is the default, I think you are correct that MAP_RELATIVE ought to solve this problem. It makes me wonder, though, why my cursor slewing in DCS A-10C always worked just fine without specifying MAP_ABSOLUTE.

Edited by GregP

Is that true in planes besides the A-10C? I know the A-10C module automatically recognizes and configures the Warthog, but I didn't know the other modules do that.

As for my testing of the MAP_RELATIVE functionality, my quick tests last night seem to suggest that it's a better option than MAP_ABSOLUTE -- for one thing, the response seemed much more manageable even using the default axis response curve -- but I'll need to put more time into it before I can really say how much better it is.

I cheated this a bit to make it easier in the meantime before learning how to really model the axes properly (and the Script manual gives the hint that DCS A-10 uses Axes "Relative" Mapping instead of "Absolute" to solve this problem) by placing the SCX and SCY as the DX_XROT and DX_YROT Axes, then doing a massive reduction in Saturation and a moderate curve as follows:

TDC Horizontal:

Deadzone: 25

Saturation Y: 15

Curvature: 35

TDC Vertical:

Deadzone: 5

Saturation Y: 25

Curvature: -20

Checked off Inverted.

I find this to be very smooth, albeit a bit slow. As said before, I believe the real solution lies in making the X and Y Mouse axes in the TARGET script as "Relative"; this will require more study of the software for me to follow how to apply properly (and I just bought the thing yesterday).

Similar technique (from cursory review of the Script manual) also seems to be how the Warthog gets around the keystroke issues of the autopilot settings; I'm looking to apply that as well, and also a press-sequencing order to invoke the changes in HUD modes relative to the F-15 HOTAS as best as FC3 allows.

Wonder if DonUlfulso (I think that was his handle) ever messed with this version of the software...

Thanx exactly the help i needed...

Like Mouse I just programed mine under the Axis Commands in options. I don't use TARGET.

I selected the "add" box and under Throttle the box for TDC Vertical, moved the micro switch up then down and the sim automatically assigned the correct axis. Did the same for horizontal.

My axis tuning was;

Horizontal:

Deadzone = 5

Sat X = 100

Sat Y = 60

Curve = 0 (may tweak this as I go)

Vertical:

Deadzone = 5

Sat X = 100

Sat Y = 60

Curve = 0 (may tweak this as I go)

Invert

Works smooth as silk. If still to zippy for your taste just lower the Sat Y.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

WartHog's mini stick and COD

Im sorry Im posting this here, as I've done also at the COD site to no avail thus far. The WartHog file site has minimal support for COD as well. But if some of you that use the WartHog and also fly IL2 COD would help me out, that would be much appreciated.

The mini stick does not seem to be recognized properly in COD and its control GUI, as thus it just moves quickly to the lower right hand side of the main screen when in game and thats about it.

Being new to the WartHog, I have been successful in getting all the buttons and axes mapped within the basic WH profile in TARGET. Works great with a couple more tweaks to go (like the flap switch commands will flood the other commands if left in the up or down state). The real issue for me now is trying to get the mini stick to act like a mouse in game properly. Does some of the mini stick profile code posted here work also work in other games?

i do use a trackIR and I am aware of the mouse enable and disable mode in IL COD.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...