TGP moving itself on gun run

Oznerol256

As im training to use the GAU-8 the way it should be used i encountered a problem with the TGP.

If you roll in to the target, the TGP moves away from the target. This is good and bad at the same time. Good: the symbol on the HUD moves away so your target isnt masked by it. Bad: in low visibility environments it may be hard to identify your target with the naked eye. In this case i want the symbol to stay where it was so i can use that to aim.

Track: L00k at my beautiful 150 rounds T-80 kill. Okay it was a bit low in the end and it is possible to score a 40 rounds kill but that doesnt matter. The track shows the problem. Just keep an eye on the TGP symbol on the HUD. You will notice that it moves a few meters away from the target as soon as i roll in.

Why? And can i stop the TGP from doing that?

150 rounds kill.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As im training to use the GAU-8 the way it should be used i encountered a problem with the TGP.

If you roll in to the target, the TGP moves away from the target. This is good and bad at the same time. Good: the symbol on the HUD moves away so your target isnt masked by it. Bad: in low visibility environments it may be hard to identify your target with the naked eye. In this case i want the symbol to stay where it was so i can use that to aim.

Track: L00k at my beautiful 150 rounds T-80 kill. Okay it was a bit low in the end and it is possible to score a 40 rounds kill but that doesnt matter. The track shows the problem. Just keep an eye on the TGP symbol on the HUD. You will notice that it moves a few meters away from the target as soon as i roll in.

Why? And can i stop the TGP from doing that?

1st, look for other posts related, which was just yesteterday

2nd, play track back, look at the tgp movement, this game is a sim, it simulates how the TGP functions in real life.

The TGP's main function is to look down, not straight ahead, once you have visual you dont need a TGP

also the symbol does not mask the gun sight, it auto hides it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Call Sign: Pork Chop.

intel I5 4670K @ 3.4GHz - GALAXY GTX 670 2GB @ 1080P - 16GB ( 2X8 ) Corsair DDR3 1600MHz - ASUS VG248QE 1080p

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO Mother Board - Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB(game/boot) - WD 640GB HDD 6.0GB/s - 750w Corsair Power Supply

:yes:Trackir 5 w/ Tclip Pro - :joystick:TM HOTAS Warthog - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G700s Mouse (edit:May19/14) http://wiki.benargee.com/

Once you have visual you don't need it. I don't have visual until I'm 2nm from the target, and that's when the target is out in the middle of a field, and even then the target is about the same size as the tiny little dot in the middle of the pipper. When the target is in an urban setting I'm lucky if I see it by 1.5nm, which doesn't give a lot of room for correction.

As a workaround I use the TGP diamond to memorize where the vehicle is when I line up the pipper. When the diamond moves around it screws up everything.

And the TGP sees straight ahead perfectly fine until I go in for a strafing run.

don't dive in on the target so soon, you can also slew the hud marker to the target after setting hud soi, that marker wont move off target. the tgp diamond represents where the tgp is looking, not where it wants to look.

this is not a bug, its just how the a-10 tgp works, so you have to work around it as the real a-10 pilots. i wish the a-10 could sustain speed in a 90 degree vertical climb, but it cant in real life

ive explained how it works. it is what it is

i have had no problems using the tgp in this manner

intel I5 4670K @ 3.4GHz - GALAXY GTX 670 2GB @ 1080P - 16GB ( 2X8 ) Corsair DDR3 1600MHz - ASUS VG248QE 1080p

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO Mother Board - Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB(game/boot) - WD 640GB HDD 6.0GB/s - 750w Corsair Power Supply

:yes:Trackir 5 w/ Tclip Pro - :joystick:TM HOTAS Warthog - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G700s Mouse (edit:May19/14) http://wiki.benargee.com/

I've been having lots of issues. I just flew a flight where after making a 10* bank to turn about 5* right onto my steerpoint the TGP moved in a small clockwise circle after leveling off. It was well within gimbal limits.

And later after doing some gun runs the TGP would get stuck looking 90* up and refused to get back on target.

I've been having lots of issues. I just flew a flight where after making a 10* bank to turn about 5* right onto my steerpoint the TGP moved in a small clockwise circle after leveling off. It was well within gimbal limits.

And later after doing some gun runs the TGP would get stuck looking 90* up and refused to get back on target.

ok, no offense but if you want a good chance at help post a track, pretty standard for this forum.

and that clock wise motion is normal if you understand the tgp movement constraints. think of it like a steering wheel, it can rotate 360 degrees but only about 450 degrees left, 450 degrees right.

where as the tgp has more left and right but same idea on limitation

and the target pod can look strait down and 90 degrees forward and 90 degrees rear from straight down. so if you want it to look 100 degrees forward from straight down it reaches 90 foward, rotates 180(upside down) and then looks up another 10 degrees. the faster you move the aircraft the more noticeable this effect is

here is a tip, do a mission to replicate your problem, then when your watching the replay focuse out the window at the tgp and watch how it moves.

post a track as always

i will make you a video myself on the limitations of the TGP sometime soon, tired right now.

My flights have been so long and full of crappy flying I've been afraid to post tracks lol.

The TGP moving after I roll out of a turn that triggers a "gimbal roll" message makes sense.

When I am flying straight ahead and the TGP has been sitting on my steerpoint without any problems, and then suddenly decides to move when I really haven't done anything does not make any sense whatsoever.

I'll see if I can reproduce after lunch.

Edited by Nealius

Yeah, read it. Twice. Doesn't mention anything about gimbal roll, TGP moving on its own, or point track. For me point track seems to be completely random. I will TMS up-short on a tank and nothing will happen. Then 20 seconds later it will automatically latch onto the tank and go into point track. If two tanks are close together sometimes it will bounce between the two tanks without any input from my HOTAS.

I was unable to reproduce TGP movement without gimbal roll. I do get movement with the gimbal roll, and I assume that is "normal" behavior. Maybe this can be mitigated by going into INR-A or INR-P modes.

Yeah, read it. Twice. Doesn't mention anything about gimbal roll, TGP moving on its own, or point track. For me point track seems to be completely random. I will TMS up-short on a tank and nothing will happen. Then 20 seconds later it will automatically latch onto the tank and go into point track. If two tanks are close together sometimes it will bounce between the two tanks without any input from my HOTAS.

I was unable to reproduce TGP movement without gimbal roll. I do get movement with the gimbal roll, and I assume that is "normal" behavior. Maybe this can be mitigated by going into INR-A or INR-P modes.

ya same here, couldnt find anything on gimbal limitations in the manual. but anyway to avoid the tgp from loosing its mark, dont make tgp the SPI use either markpoints or the cursor on the hud as spi, then slave the tgp to SPI. whenever you encounter gimball roll after that just boresight TGP then salve again to SPI

and about point track bouncing between tanks, you dont really need point track unless its a moving target

I will TMS up-short on a tank and nothing will happen. Then 20 seconds later it will automatically latch onto the tank and go into point track. If two tanks are close together sometimes it will bounce between the two tanks without any input from my HOTAS.

Thats normal. If you go into point mode the box will appear which idicates that you are in point track mode. The tgp tries to lock onto the point it is aiming. In most cases this results in the same behaviour as area mode. However, if the tgp detects something that moves, it will snap onto that if you are tracking something in vincity. This happens because you are most likely not tracking the exact center of the vehicle. So this snapping thing is intended as help for the pilot.

If you have two detected targets close to each other the tgp cant decide which target it should snap on. So it keeps snapping around. zoom in or out or enter area mode to stop it from doing that

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]