Can not read gauges with active NVG

Nopileus

I know, but you focus your goggles before you get in the aircraft usually, that's why I said it's useless in DCS, also, the focus should be set for infinity, so there's no reason to change that in DCS.

I know what it looks like IRL :) I have around 300 NVG hours, if I'm to take a wild guess.

Guess I should have looked at your avatar, but honestly I was just replying blind ;) Yeah, focus would be useless in DCS. Autogain/brightness control would be a pretty realistic feature. I'm guessing this stuff hasn't come up before since a lot of people might not have experience with Russian NVGs, and maybe the ones modeled in Blackshark are spot on, and jets don't have quite the same need for goggles as helos.

So to summarize:

-the NVGs need to be focused to infinity, with unreadable gauges up close (maybe not possible with focus, but properly lit gauges should bloom out in the goggles).

-the FOV is too wide and should be smaller (around 40 degrees), as well as circular

-the gain control should be automatic based on the amount of light entering the goggles

Edited by heloguy

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

There is an NVG mod, that address some of the issues - the visual side, not functional:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=100333&highlight=NVG+mod

I don't think much can be done without going deep into the game engine, as just like most others - there are no near infra red light emitters - and that's the most of the spectrum that night vision is picking up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

Yeah, I've seen the mod. When I get everything back from my move, I'll have to give it a go. Just think it would be cool to have different models of NVGs correctly modeled according to A/C. Or even better, according to the country associated with the pilot selected.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1