Activation Key not valid due changes of hardware configuration?

Direwolf

I recentrly made a major change on my computer, replacing the CPU, MB and HD (I didn´t format HD, just "ghosted" it in the new one). When I tried to access the game, I got the following message:

"The Activation Key is not valid any more due to significant changes of the computer hardware configuration. Press "Retry" to reactivate the application. If the error recurs, press "Error report" and send the report to product technical support."

Pressed retry at least 3 times, having a new activation window as result, so the game launched, but I couldn´t go to the cockpit, just having an outside view from the plane. Uninstalled the game and modules (I use Revo Unistaller to clean everything), downloaded the latest versions of them , installed again, and got the same result!. Uninstalled it again, installed jus DCS World, and installed the modules from the Module Manager. Same results!. Tried so many installation variations with the same results for ALL the modules.I don´t know if I reached a number of activation attempts, and the serials are no more valid, but I can see the serial in the module manager (and in my site account) . I don´t know if I had to format the HD, but this shouldn´t be necessary because I have another games running well after I replaced the parts. I would like to know if someone had this same problem and what is the solution.

PS: Please do not come up with a solution like: "Format your HD". It is not an option right now, but if everything fails, I´ll try this one (as last resort)

This reminds me to deactivate all modules before replacing my motherboard ,system drive and operating system.

You could try this:

As soon as you have DCS World and the modules installed, quit DCS World.

Please look into your DCS World\mods\aircraft\"module name"\bin folder and find a program named protect.exe. Run this as administrator.

Do this for all modules you have and then start DCS World again.

Edited by tintifaxl
typos

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

• 3 weeks later...
I recentrly made a major change on my computer, replacing the CPU, MB and HD (I didn´t format HD, just "ghosted" it in the new one). When I tried to access the game, I got the following message:

"The Activation Key is not valid any more due to significant changes of the computer hardware configuration. Press "Retry" to reactivate the application. If the error recurs, press "Error report" and send the report to product technical support."

Pressed retry at least 3 times, having a new activation window as result, so the game launched, but I couldn´t go to the cockpit, just having an outside view from the plane. Uninstalled the game and modules (I use Revo Unistaller to clean everything), downloaded the latest versions of them , installed again, and got the same result!. Uninstalled it again, installed jus DCS World, and installed the modules from the Module Manager. Same results!. Tried so many installation variations with the same results for ALL the modules.I don´t know if I reached a number of activation attempts, and the serials are no more valid, but I can see the serial in the module manager (and in my site account) . I don´t know if I had to format the HD, but this shouldn´t be necessary because I have another games running well after I replaced the parts. I would like to know if someone had this same problem and what is the solution.

PS: Please do not come up with a solution like: "Format your HD". It is not an option right now, but if everything fails, I´ll try this one (as last resort)

First of all, by you changing/upgrading your PC quite a bit you are effectively changing your hardware and game registry associated to your specific PC hardware is no longer valid. Only option is to use new activation and activate the modules again. If you use up your last activation, every months it automatically generates 1 new key, so you can use that to activate again (limit is 1 new activation once you use up your last activation.. and limit to this activation "regeneration" is 1 per month max)

In future if you are planning to do major upgrade, deactivate all your modules, then after upgrade you can activate again, this way you won't use new activation (but there is also limit to number of De-activations, in which case you'll have to use new activation, and again once you use the last one you get 1 new activation)

No longer active in DCS...

Also, cloning a previous system hard drive onto a new system generally isn't a good idea. A good practice is to completely set the new system up from scratch, with a clean install of the operating system. (I'm surprised windows hasn't flagged a re-activation request as well)

Remember to install the DCS to a directory outside of the Windows Program Files Folder

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"