First flights, and my problem is opposite!

Ninjaofdoom

Hey all! Long time BS pilot here. I picked up the Huey after reading about how it wasn't too bad to fly but a monster to land. I'm a rotorhead so I bought it and off I went....

And my experience was the complete opposite of what I've read lol :pilotfly:

Take off into a hover, not so bad. The MOMENT I tried to fly anywhere, all hell breaks loose. First it demanded left pedal, then somehow I had to hold half right pedal... Tipping the nose down made it shake like mad and it didn't want to just fly straight at all. Did some creative funneling/spinning amazingness....

And then yanked it into a rock-steady hover 10 feet above the runway, and touched down perfect.

This one is gonna take some time... :joystick: :joystick:

Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.

i7-930 @ 3.8ghz, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600, EVGA GTX470, OCZ 60GB SSD, TrackIR 5 Pro, Win7 64

And a 46" LCD at 1920x1080 to enjoy the goodness :joystick: :pilotfly:

No electronic flight aids in the Huey back to brass tacks i'm afraid fella pure pilot skill and finesse welcome to Club Huey.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Hey all! Long time BS pilot here. I picked up the Huey after reading about how it wasn't too bad to fly but a monster to land. I'm a rotorhead so I bought it and off I went....

And my experience was the complete opposite of what I've read lol :pilotfly:

Take off into a hover, not so bad. The MOMENT I tried to fly anywhere, all hell breaks loose. First it demanded left pedal, then somehow I had to hold half right pedal... Tipping the nose down made it shake like mad and it didn't want to just fly straight at all. Did some creative funneling/spinning amazingness....

And then yanked it into a rock-steady hover 10 feet above the runway, and touched down perfect.

This one is gonna take some time... :joystick: :joystick:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think once you start moving you'll transition into more efficient lift which is accompanied by a momentary shaking. From what I've heard the shaking is overdone in the sim but doesn't seem too bad and is mostly there to let you know that you are transitioning. But yeah, every little input changes the torque of the main rotor and the thrust of the tail rotor and those changes around the center of gravity of the chopper makes it yaw and roll and pitch in odd ways so you are constantly trying to adjust.

I'm not very good at it yet but it makes it much more exciting than flying the oh so docile A-10C!

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I look forward to logging some more flight hours. I will feel truly accomplished when I can fly around smoothly. Need to learn the finer points of trimming this thing and definitely improve the pedal work.

Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.

i7-930 @ 3.8ghz, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600, EVGA GTX470, OCZ 60GB SSD, TrackIR 5 Pro, Win7 64

And a 46" LCD at 1920x1080 to enjoy the goodness :joystick: :pilotfly:

I kinda like flying without trimming as there really wasn't any I gather. After a bit you find the sweet spot on the stick position and it's not so bad staying there during a cruise.

I've tried landing on roofs a few times but each time I end up a fiery ball of wreckage. Is there something I'm missing or are you not supposed to be able to land on many roofs.

Edited by lorenzoj

Ninjaofdoom: it kind of sounds like you didn't manage to keep the attitude held down enough to enter into translational lift. Just above 40 knots the shaking and other forces will calm down and it will be a nice smooth ride. Feels a bit like a fixed wing even.

I kinda like flying without trimming as there really wasn't any I gather. After a bit you find the sweet spot on the stick position and it's not so bad staying there during a cruise.

I've tried landing on roofs a few times but each time I end up a fiery ball of wreckage. Is there something I'm missing or are you not supposed to be able to land on many roofs.

AFAIK force trim is the real deal. However it doesn't do quite what we see on our consumer joysticks. Rather than moving the center position on the joystick to a different spot with regard to the control surfaces, the force trim just makes it so that the stick stays in the position you trimmed when no forces are being applied to it

If you land with much force DCS currently counts that equal to you shooting the building in question so that can be detrimental. The other point that makes rooftop landings a bit challenging is that most buildings are tall enough that you are not in ground effect at all when you come in for the landing. Ground Effect hovering is MUCH easier than hovering out of ground effect.

you will be in ground effect as soon as your rotor disk is over a solid surface. That's what makes rooftop approaches and departures more challenging. Anticipating when the ground effect cushion will affect your approach trajectory, and when you will lose the cushion on departure.

It's already been said, but if you're gentle, you shouldn't have any problems.

Most buildings WILL cause WIG effect. The surface of the football stadiums might not...

If you land on the chimneys, they don't quite interact with the skids properly, but you probably shouldn't land on smoking chimneys anyway :)

Cheers.

Yeah, I seem to remember a while back (in standalone BlackShark) discovering the ever-so-slightly dodgy physics concerning contact with buildings :)

Here is an old thread containing a funny little track I uploaded about it:

(I wonder if old BlackShark track files work correctly in DCS:World? - Can't test it right now)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=82497

Hats off to all those people (3 of them ...4 maybe?) who are able to hold anything resembling a steady hover in this rusty old tin bucket! :)