PAC2 recoil

just wondering where I should aim for sustained gun bursts?

I have noticed that after pac1 lock and then pac2 gun fire, the pipper jumps a couple of mm on hud and holds there throughout the rest of the burst.

Should I be aiming just below the target to take this jump into effect or are the rounds landing at the original pipper point?

From the A-10A's Dash 34:

Optimal PAC performance is achieved by ensuring that immediately prior to PAC's engagement the A/C meets the following condition for a minimum of 8 seconds: The pilot will maintain a bank angle less than +/- 12.0 degrees while keeping the G force between +0.8 and +1.2G. Time periods less than 8 seconds will result in a degraded PAC mode. Re-trimming the A/C results in PAC calculating a new stick position. Therefore PAC requires that the above condition is met again. Flight conditions are subject to many variables. Fuel consumption, 30mm round expenditures, and winds make it unreasonable to expect that a single PAC solution will perform accurately for multiple passes.

NOTE

PAC relies on 8 seconds of setting time. As the dive angle and airspeed acceleration increase, the time period between trimming the A/C and trigger pull become smaller. As this setting time decreases from 7.9 to 0.0 seconds, the pilot can expect an increasingly greater "PAC Jump". These jumps normally occur to the 12' o'clock position relative to the target with little if any lateral pipper movement.

The initial recoil correction provides an automatic correction for initial gun recoil. The gun recoil is corrected continuously when the 30mm gun is fired. The recoil correction is measured on live bursts greater than 2 seconds and used to null recoil transients of subsequent passes.

This is all assuming this is valid in the C model, but a lot of these systems seem to not have changed much so it stands to reason much of this will be the same, depending on the degree to which PAC is accurately modeled in the sim. There are a few more paragraphs to PAC, but the PDF I have doesn't have text recognition so I have to type out everything if anybody wants to read the full body, which contains some A model anachronisms for when comparing it to the C model.

As for what all that means, I'm not sure if you're seeing the "PAC Jump" or the recoil correction, or if you're not letting the sight settle for 8 seconds, or if its none of the above, but thats all the info I can muster.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Thanks for the detailed response. I certainly have not been waiting 8 seconds or longer in pac1 lock. Alot of my attacks are also at high angle so this might explain the jump.

What do you guys experience after a long pac1 lock? Does the gun pipper stay on inital target point durring a burst?

I'm inclined to agree with the Dash 34. I've noticed that if I do a 'snap shot', where I pull onto target with no trimming or lead time before firing, the PAC jump is enormous. Whereas if I come onto a target on a long straight run, with the pipper on target for a time before firing, the pipper holds.

I always thought it was just me - it looks like it's modelled properly, and snapshots should expect to have that kick.

Eight seconds of track time is a super-fantastic way to get yourself shot down by a Zeus or MANPADS.

The description given in the quoted text does not match the real-world system behavior or tactics. The wording used isn't technical and doesn't match the phraseology used in -1 and -34 manuals. I think the quoted text is likely someone's interpretation of how the system works, and even then, it sounds like pre-IFFCC description.

Eight seconds of track time is a super-fantastic way to get yourself shot down by a Zeus or MANPADS.

Are you telling me you've never seen the military give bad advice before? I recall reading they were told not to use Mavericks as defacto targeting pods in the first Gulf War, but they did and to great effect as I recall.

The description given in the quoted text does not match the real-world system behavior or tactics. The wording used isn't technical and doesn't match the phraseology used in -1 and -34 manuals. I think the quoted text is likely someone's interpretation of how the system works, and even then, it sounds like pre-IFFCC description.

Well it may or may not be partly obsolete information in the modern C, but its definitely from the -34-1-1 for the A. Revision from 3 May 1999.

In my time reading various military manuals, the use of "technical" language varies and at times approaches the point of being conversational depending on the author. Thats no indicator of the value of the information on its own, or of its source. You should read some Marine Corps manuals. Some of them made me misty eyed.

ka3hg9.png

2czf4pk.png

Edited by P*Funk

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Thanks for the detailed response. I certainly have not been waiting 8 seconds or longer in pac1 lock. Alot of my attacks are also at high angle so this might explain the jump.

What do you guys experience after a long pac1 lock? Does the gun pipper stay on inital target point durring a burst?

Short bursts instead of long usually helps.