Ka-50 lasing, A-10C firing maverick

muamshai

Fire a few full racks of Vikhrs and target for the gun for a while, and you'll eventually burn the laser out, or you could try (like I did) binding your voice comms push-to-talk button to the same button as the Skhval/laser designate. :P Landing and repairing fixes it.

FWIW, though, I've never burned the laser out on a normal mission, or even a mission on which I went back to base to reload two or three times. It's modeled, but it's not normally an issue.

TGP laser burns out as well after some time

And from my experience, damage from not letting the Shkval cool down is not modeled.

Never said the laser couldn't be burnt out, but I have not yet seen any indication that it has something to do with cooling.

BTW, the countdown in the HUD doesn't have anything to do with cooling either, it only tells you for how long the laser will keep firing.

And since 1.2.3 or 1.2.4, you can't even repair the Shark anymore if it's only the laser damaged. You need to cut some blades or slam your wheels on the ground before you get repairs :doh:

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never said the laser couldn't be burnt out, but I have not yet seen any indication that it has something to do with cooling.

Erm, read that sentence back to yourself.

Tip: "burning out" (a colloquial term for overheating) has by its very definition a lot to do with cooling. ;) And high power LASERs, by their very nature, produce rather a lot of heat.

BTW, the countdown in the HUD doesn't have anything to do with cooling either, it only tells you for how long the laser will keep firing.

Incorrect. The countdown in the Ka-50s ATGM HUD is the weapon ToF + a 6 second LASER cool down time.

The quoted LASER cycle times are only possible if you correctly follow the limitations including the 6 second cool down between firings. If you ignore the cool down the LASER will fail sooner than the specified life. Although you can comfortable launch a full load of ATMGs with no regard for the LASER cooling cycle.

You also cannot get 10-15 minutes of continuos LASER use as you said previously. The LASER does have however a combined firing duration of of just over 13 minutes, if and only if you you follow the specified usage limits. The LASER in the Ka-50 isn't even capable of continuous firing, the duration of the firing cycles for ranging and weapon guidance are all limited to pre-programmed values.

This is discussed extensively in the Ka-50 forum.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Tip: "burning out" (a colloquial term for overheating) has by its very definition a lot to do with cooling. ;) And high power LASERs, by their very nature, produce rather a lot of heat.

Incorrect. The countdown in the Ka-50s ATGM HUD is the weapon ToF + a 6 second LASER cool down time.

The quoted LASER cycle times are only possible if you correctly follow the limitations including the 6 second cool down between firings. If you ignore the cool down the LASER will fail sooner than the specified life. Although you can comfortable launch a full load of ATMGs with no regard for the LASER cooling cycle.

You also cannot get 10-15 minutes of continuos LASER use as you said previously. The LASER does have however a combined firing duration of of just over 13 minutes, if and only if you you follow the specified usage limits. The LASER in the Ka-50 isn't even capable of continuous firing, the duration of the firing cycles for ranging and weapon guidance are all limited to pre-programmed values.

This is discussed extensively in the Ka-50 forum.

I just wanted to quote this so that no one missed it, because it was much more well said than what I wrote and I kinda page sniped by accident.

That's exactly like saying I know that airplanes can fly in this game, I just haven't seen any indication that it has anything to do with "wings".

Things don't spontaneously combust into fine smoke once they pass the set failure date provided in the manual. My harddrive will not explode as it passes its MBF time.

If you buy a flight simulator and the manual goes out and explicitly tells you that, hey this thing might overheat. You can be rather sure that that is the problem when you go about trying to make it do so.

That is irregardless if said overheating makes sense or not.

Edited by Irregular programming

Sorry guys, you're wrong.

If you fire a Vikhr without previously using the rangefinder, you'll get a countdown of 8-9 seconds. And you will notice that the missile is guided for 8-9 seconds and loses track when the countdown disappears. There is no 6 second cooldown in that contdown. Same happens if you range a closer target, fire and then aim for a spot further away.

Tip: "burning out" (a colloquial term for overheating) has by its very definition a lot to do with cooling. And high power LASERs, by their very nature, produce rather a lot of heat.

It's a different story whether there is actual heating and temperature modeled or the game just says after 15 minutes 'that's it, laser is dead now'

Sure the Shkval produces heat when firing the laser, but it's obviously not modeled if you can fire 15 minutes continously before it fails.

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry guys, you're wrong.

If you fire a Vikhr without previously using the rangefinder, you'll get a countdown of 8-9 seconds. And you will notice that the missile is guided for 8-9 seconds and loses track when the countdown disappears. There is no 6 second cooldown in that contdown. Same happens if you range a closer target, fire and then aim for a spot further away.

So what you're saying is, if you don't use the system as intended, it doesn't behave as specified. Well, no **** sherlock.

If however you do employ the weapons system as intended you do indeed get a 6 second cooldown after weapon ToF. It does not however prevent you firing the LASER again immediately. A quick 60 second test flight in the Ka-50 will demonstrate that.

See below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZhRYDAMDU

It's a different story whether there is actual heating and temperature modeled or the game just says after 15 minutes 'that's it, laser is dead now'

Once again, the overheating is indeed modelled, and it has been since BS v1.00. How soon failure will occur very much depends on how you use (and abuse) the LASER. If you totally ignore the required cooling schedule, you can have it fail after around 16-20 Vikhr shots.

Sure the Shkval produces heat when firing the laser, but it's obviously not modeled if you can fire 15 minutes continously before it fails.

You can't. Again, you cannot fire the Ka-50 LASER continuously at all, let alone for 15 minutes continuously.

But anyway, as I've already said, this subject has been discussed many times over the past few years in the Ka-50 forum, there should be no need to go over it all again

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

alrighty, in short it is not possible between Ka-50 and A-10C because:

1. Ka-50 and A-10C use different lasing systems

2. I might be wrong but as far as I know, A-10C requires lasing frequency/channel (or whatever you say it because I don't fly A-10C..yet), and in Ka-50 you can't set it

so no talk between Russian and American system, and besides it was never been implemented in real life. They still don't trust each other :P

so, while not being annoying, is it possible for US armor (M1A1 etc.) to lase the target for A-10?

This space is available for your advertisement

alrighty, in short it is not possible between Ka-50 and A-10C because:

1. Ka-50 and A-10C use different lasing systems

2. I might be wrong but as far as I know, A-10C requires lasing frequency/channel (or whatever you say it because I don't fly A-10C..yet), and in Ka-50 you can't set it

so no talk between Russian and American system, and besides it was never been implemented in real life. They still don't trust each other :P

so, while not being annoying, is it possible for US armor (M1A1 etc.) to lase the target for A-10?

You can't see the laser in either the a10 or the ka50.

....so, while not being annoying, is it possible for US armor (M1A1 etc.) to lase the target for A-10?

I am pretty sure I have tried to have JTAC lase a target in CA and then have the A-10C's TGP search using LSS mode. I can't remember if JTAC was positioned in a armor or I just tried to lase from armor. I think it was probably done in 1.2.3. Can't recall seeing a change to later versions.

Whether it can be done in real world I do not know.

Cheers

Hans

I am pretty sure I have tried to have JTAC lase a target in CA and then have the A-10C's TGP search using LSS mode. I can't remember if JTAC was positioned in a armor or I just tried to lase from armor. I think it was probably done in 1.2.3. Can't recall seeing a change to later versions.

^^^ This does work with CA.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.