Why does the A-10C TV-Mavs have 3x and 6x zoom and the A-10A only 3x Zoom?

schroedi

• 2 weeks later...

The default "zoomed out" view in the A-10A is 3x zoom and when you zoom in one level you are at 6x zoom.

The A-10C macericks work exactly the same way when looking through the macerick's optical sensor but the A-10C has the advantage of being able to find and designate targets using its TGP and then slave the maverick seeker optic to that point. The TGP has two FOV's as well as a huge range of zoom inside each FOV while the maverick optical sensor does not allow the fine control within the various FOV zoom levels.

Most people in A-10C use the TGP to find and designate targets due to the high level of optical flexibility and then they slave the maverick optic to what the TGP is looking at. Makes it MUCH easier to engage targets from a distance. The A-10A is not able to mount a TGP as the airframe did not support it.

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

yes, everything right but we are talking about the fact that in the A-10C module the same missle has a wide and narrow field of view (with zoom factor 3x in wide mode and with zoom factor 6x in narrow mode) and in the A-10A module it doesn't have the narrow field of view (6x zoom factor). Both missles have the same TV seeker so they sould also have the same option. The IR versions of the Mav are modeled correctly, they have two Fov options in both planes. It has nothing to do with the TGP in the A-10C.

The A-10A does have the narrow FOV - and = keys (next to backspace) are default to change FOV.

I believe the issue is that the TV-guided Mavs in the A-10A don't have the narrow field of view (or the narrow FoV doesn't work), while the IR-guided Mavs do. (I don't have the A-10A, so I can't comment beyond trying to clarify.)

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I believe the issue is that the TV-guided Mavs in the A-10A don't have the narrow field of view (or the narrow FoV doesn't work), while the IR-guided Mavs do. (I don't have the A-10A, so I can't comment beyond trying to clarify.)

Correct, and as stated in the manual the AGM-65K only has the 3x field of view while the AGM-65D has 3x and 6x FOV. So if you want the zoom, pick the AGM-65D. =)

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

Yes, the manual of the a-10A says the TV version just has the 3x wide field of view but the same missle has a wide 3x and narrow 6x field of view in the A-10C.

I don't think you can call this a bug because if you take the manual as basis it is like it should be, so it is more like a simple mistake.