Map settings?

jeproject

I leave it on for one reason only: finding my way to the correct runway on a ramp start. I swear these airfields need more signage! :D

Other than that, I try to navigate using the TAD and waypoints only. EXP 1 mode on the TAD is my favorite for staying oriented. If you need to get to an airfield to land and repair/rearm, go to the CDU and hit NAV -> Divert.

Is there anything in particular you have found difficult about navigating in the A-10C? There are a lot of experienced folks on these forums who could share some tips if you're interested.

...Is there anything in particular you have found difficult about navigating in the A-10C?...

Not especially, I haven't been in the situation yet where I've had to navigate anywhere that I didn't have set on the mission flight plan.

I just realised yesterday that I used the map a couple of times to get the big picture of where I was. It didn't feel right the first time I did it and when I did it again I really felt like I was cheating myself of immersion.

I'll either turn it off or just avoid the map unless im on the ground. Or just start using the airfield diagrams on a tablet or print them out or something

Edited by jeproject

I just realised yesterday that I used the map a couple of times to get the big picture of where I was. It didn't feel right the first time I did it and when I did it again I really felt like I was cheating myself of immersion.

I don't use the map often, but I don't think it's cheating either.

Our level of preparation is simply a joke, unless the mission creator invested a lot of time and effort into creating a briefing that deserves this name.

In Falcon 4.0, I'd usually spend 10 to 30 minutes preparing for a mission (which, of course, is a joke compared to RL mission planning unless they're in a rush), including adjusting load-out for the entire flight, getting the satellite view of the target area and checking known or suspected threats, setting up waypoints to avoid those threats where possible, align me with the target and get me to my desired egress heading.

In most DCS missions, I know virtually nothing about the target area before I'm on top of it. That's why I don't think it's cheating to look at the map at that point in time. Besides, lots of stories from "A-10s over Kosovo" describe that the pilots actually carried maps in their aircraft and looked at them while in the mission area. I don't know if actual maps are still carried today, given the TAD's capabilities, but a map would still help to get more situational awareness IMO.

With the Fog of War option enabled, the DCS map also compensates for the lack of communication. If I could call some kind of JSTARS asset to update me on the position of friendlies and enemies, that would help a lot, but DCS doesn't include it, and it would require ridiculous amounts of time for mission designers to fake some pseudo realistic live intel into missions. The F10 map with "Fog of War" is not perfect, but I think it's actually a fair substitute for all the things that are not (yet) simulated. :smartass:

...With the Fog of War option enabled, the DCS map also compensates for the lack of communication. If I could call some kind of JSTARS asset to update me on the position of friendlies and enemies, that would help a lot, but DCS doesn't include it, and it would require ridiculous amounts of time for mission designers to fake some pseudo realistic live intel into missions. The F10 map with "Fog of War" is not perfect, but I think it's actually a fair substitute for all the things that are not (yet) simulated. :smartass:

I haven't tried that option yet tbh.

I used to have a similar opinion of some of the arma2 map and hud settings depending on my mood and how tired I was. Thanks for your input.

Our level of preparation is simply a joke, unless the mission creator invested a lot of time and effort into creating a briefing that deserves this name.

In most DCS missions, I know virtually nothing about the target area before I'm on top of it.

This guy gets it. Mission designers need to prep us more on missions or else the map is pretty much required.

I use the map as a kind of a simulated fold out map that the pilot would have stuffed next to their seat. Fog of War still seems a little like cheating to me yet since as I understand it, it will show all units in your range, but I do see where it is nice for us virtual pilots since we know nothing about enemy troop locations.