Crash on exit

Metal Hawk

I have this problem for as long as I can remember. Whenever I exit any mission (multi and single player) I get an error message that dcs has crashed.

Problem Event Name: BEX64

Application Name: dcs.exe

Application Version: 1.2.6.20768

Application Timestamp: 528babc0

Fault Module Name: MSVCR80.dll

Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.8428

It happens when the game exits the missions and tries to go the dcs menu.

I suspect it's the headtracker dll. I think that it started when I made my first freetrack. Also I vaguely remember that it appeared when I moved dcs in a second partition from the C:\ drive it was before (although I can't say for sure that it actually matters in which drive dcs is installed). I also think that the headtracker.dll must be used in order for the crash to occur. If it is just in the dcs folder and not being used by freetrack it doesn't crash. I have this behavior in both windows 7 and windows 8 64bit.

Most of the times when I click the error message to close it, the DCS world continues like nothing happened. But there are some times that it completely crash to desktop. On multiplayer or single missions in single player this is not a big problem. But if your are playing a campaign, a crash like that will make you lose your progress and force you to replay a mission you already won.

I have tried to run with administrator privileges but it made no difference.

I have all 64bit MS VC Redistributables. The only one missing was the 2013 one which is now installed. I can't install world in C:\ because there is no space. I have already said that I ran everything as administrator. And I have tried the repair with no difference (The DCS world works fine. It's headtracker.dll as far as I can tell that causes the troubles). As for UAC and EDP (which by the way is set to: "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.") I see no reason why I should disable security features that are causing me no trouble at all (headtracker would be the first). Maybe the developers can have another look at the headtracker.dll code.

I am within the games specs. I have installed everything in the link you suggested. I also should have mentioned that I have no mods (not even skins). The DCS world runs fine. The crashes appear only when headtracker.dll is being used and only on exiting a mission. If I run a mission without using freetrack everything is fine. I am really surprised that not many people who use freetrack have come upon this problem. I have a preaty clean system with updated software, drivers and virus definitions.

• ED Team
I am within the games specs. I have installed everything in the link you suggested. I also should have mentioned that I have no mods (not even skins). The DCS world runs fine. The crashes appear only when headtracker.dll is being used and only on exiting a mission. If I run a mission without using freetrack everything is fine. I am really surprised that not many people who use freetrack have come upon this problem. I have a preaty clean system with updated software, drivers and virus definitions.

Well there lies the issue, I havent seen many have an issue, so if you dont use free track you dont have this crash? 100% of the time?

When you moved your DCS did you do a fresh install or did you just copy it?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Well there lies the issue, I havent seen many have an issue, so if you dont use free track you dont have this crash? 100% of the time?

When you moved your DCS did you do a fresh install or did you just copy it?

As many times as I tested it without using freetrack + headtracker.dll it gave me no crash. The second it's being used the crash appears. But this is just an observation from someone who knows nothing about programing. So I can't give any more help to pinpoint the problem.

It was a clean install. Nothing was moved from windows 7 to windows 8 installation. By the way, windows 7 was only the world with the free Su25T and in windows 8 the crash appears to all the modules. So it's not module related.

I am sorry but, unless you are willing donate to me the amount of money trackir requires, this does not help me at all. You really think people turn to freetrack and other free alternatives because they like the hassle? You really think we didn't consider trackir our selves? Why should I spend money and do a complete re-install of my OS along with all my software when everything (except this) is working flawlessly?

Nope , Yes i have a trackir 5 and it was only 200 euros and i'm sure you pick one up on ebay for less. The real probelm is that some programs are

only running rigth with one version of the MS C++ Runtimes and the combo

DCS and freetrack may has this probelm. The only simpel way to find out

is a reinstall of the os or you take the painful way of deinstalling bit by bit the C++ runtime and find out that 90 % of your programs are not working after. BTW I done once the hard way. never again.

• ED Team

I am sure there are others running freetrack, you just need to explore the forums and see if there are any fixes or work around or else I would think we would see more people with issues. I agree with you, you shouldnt have to have the best of everything to enjoy DCS World.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Nope , Yes i have a trackir 5 and it was only 200 euros and i'm sure you pick one up on ebay for less.

You do realize that there are countries in eurozone where people make 300€ per month or less, right? You really think that a gadget (and from what I read in various forums a very fragile one) that costs 2/3 of a monthly salary is a viable option? My freetrack cost me 2€ and a free cap from a supermarket that gave them away for free for advertisement reasons.

The real probelm is that some programs are

only running rigth with one version of the MS C++ Runtimes and the combo

DCS and freetrack may has this probelm.

And that is why I made this post. To inform the developers that there is a programming issue so that they are aware about it's existence and have a look at it.

The only simpel way to find out

is a reinstall of the os or you take the painful way of deinstalling bit by bit the C++ runtime and find out that 90 % of your programs are not working after. BTW I done once the hard way. never again.

As I said it occurred in windows 7 and then in windows 8. Installing a whole new version of windows isn't good enough? (DCS world was one of the first programs installed and the problem was there).

I am sure there are others running freetrack, you just need to explore the forums and see if there are any fixes or work around or else I would think we would see more people with issues. I agree with you, you shouldnt have to have the best of everything to enjoy DCS World.

There is at least one member in this forum who has the same problem: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=111262.

I did ask him to try and remove headtracker.dll to confirm that this was the culprit but he didn't answer. That is why I made this post in DCS World bugs section.

Metal Hawk nobody is saying you have to spend 2/3 of your income , but you can try to save a few euro per month. Sure it wasn't made to jump on it. But back to your problem. The last update on Freetrack was made 1 year before

windows 7 was release. It was maybe working with Vista, but Vista and W7 are like day and night. Them 2 os are totaly diffrent under the hood .Just looked at the list of supported Games/Sims not a word about DCS . The only up to date version i can find is FreetrackNoIr. and that's writen in Delhpi 7 (somewhat outdated) and thats the main problem. So you may contact the Devs of Freetrack and see if they have a fix for your problem. I think ED is too busy with thier own stuff and has no time to fix 3rd party problems.

Metal Hawk nobody is saying you have to spend 2/3 of your income , but you can try to save a few euro per month. Sure it wasn't made to jump on it.

hawk4base, you yourself told me few posts above to buy trackir.

Now you have fund your problem . Dump freetrack and buy a trackir then it will work after a clean OS install.

Nope , Yes i have a trackir 5 and it was only 200 euros and i'm sure you pick one up on ebay for less.

So there is at least one person who is telling me to give a big amount of my income for a gaming gadget. And by suggesting to me to start saving "a few euro per month" is a clear insult to my intelligence. I do save "a few euro per month" but they are for covering important needs that human beings can't do without.

Sure ED is not obligated to fix other peoples/companies programming issues, but, headtracker.dll was made possible because ED released their headtracking API. So they have at least a small amount of knowledge and connection to it already. And you try to make me look like I took a gun and put it in the heads of the developers and demanded to fix my problem here and now. When all I did was just informing the developers, in their official forum, in their dedicated subsection for BUGS for it's existence. The source code for both freetrack and the headtracker.dll are, as far as I know, open source. If an ED programmer can have a look at the code in his/her own free time and see that a fix is only a handful of code lines for him/her why do you want to prevent this from happening and helping others that are not as fortunate as you to be able to buy what they want? Please let ED decide if they can or can't fix problems like this.

Edited by Metal Hawk
Correcrion of some typos.

Metal Hawk I think we leave the Money bit behind us , its only a wast of your and my time, but if you need that sorted out PM me. As you say Freetrack is open source and ED only release a API , changing a few lines of code sounds simple but it's far away form simple .Changing one line on a complex code causes more problems down the road , one bug is fixed and ten new bugs pop up . A API is only a interface for I/O between Software to Software or/and Hardware to Software. The Devs of Freetrack have may a older version of the API but due to changes in the OS it may doesn't work any more. If a APP try's to write in to the mem at one register in Win XP or Vista it works ,but in W7 and W8 this part of mem is may reserved for a other process you will get a error.The person was tasked with the API is may not more working in ED or has other tasks by now.So it's really down to the boys / girls programming freetrack to find the problem and fix it.

Unless you are officially an ED employee which will make what you said an official ED position in this matter, I will kindly ignore your assumptions about what ED can or can not fix or your assumptions about whose job it is to fix this or not. Unless you wrote or have access to the ED API for headtracking, how can you be so sure that the code responsible isn't in the API it self.

And the reason why I made this post in ED forums is because the message informing be about the crash says that "DCS has stop working". If the message said that "freetrack has stop working" I would have posted in freetack's forums. So, please let an ED programmer judge for him/her self if he/she can to anything regarding this problem.

You have shared your opinion and I have read it carefully. It just so happens that it didn't help me with this specific problem.

Unless you are officially an ED employee which will make what you said an official ED position in this matter, I will kindly ignore your assumptions about what ED can or can not fix or your assumptions about whose job it is to fix this or not. Unless you wrote or have access to the ED API for headtracking, how can you be so sure that the code responsible isn't in the API it self.

No I'm Not

API is free for download on the Forum see Wags post

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73665&page=10

Souce code for freetrackNoIr

https://github.com/sthalik/facetracknoir

• 10 months later...

Any fix found?

My DCS is now crashing on exit whether i am running the FT software or not.

It's manageable but frustrating...

Edited by FONS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System

CPU: i7 4790K GPU: Asus GTX 970 4Gb MOBO: Asus Z97 PRO RAM: 16Gb OS: Win10 x64

• 9 months later...
Hello, i got this issue (DCS stop running, on exit with MSVCR80.dll failled module) after migration on Windows 10 (everything's fine with Win7)

Reinstall the Redistributed Files from Microsoft web page. Some have had better results deleting them and then reinstalling.

Found Here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/DownloadResults.aspx?q=redistributable%20package

Get all of them2008 to current they are all needed for the sim. DirectX should be OK. but if you want to be sure reinstall it also, that has been done by many with your issue.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.