About graphic engine of DCS

MaximumG

(Poor English sorry~! Im from east Asia)

I am user of DCS A10C and FC3.

I like your products and I am satisfied.

BUT

My PC spec is not so bad, but frames are not smooth.

Especially with many smoke effects, the frame drops a lot.

ex) CBU explosion effect !!! It drops to almost 3~5 FPS.

Why? What is the reason?

I am not a game designer but as I know smoke effects are made with shader.

shader 1.0~shader 3.0

Think about battle-field 3 and 4 Or unreal touerment UT3 engines.

These games use a lot of smoke effects, but there is no frame drops.

And the heat-blur effect is same.

It's very simple and basic effect like students learn at some computer class of academy or schools.

But the effect hit frame drop.

I don't get it. Why????

Pleaes Please fix this!!!

(Poor English sorry~! Im from east Asia)

Think about battle-field 3 and 4 Or unreal touerment UT3 engines.

These games use a lot of smoke effects, but there is no frame drops.

This Isnt BF3, or BF4, or any FPS.

What's the total Area of the Largest map in BF3/4?

-No Where near the size of the Current DCS Map.

What's the Max Polygon count of BF3/4's Jet Models?

-No Where near the polygon count of DCS's Primary Aircraft.

What's the level of Physics Calculations in the Flight Models on the BF3/4 Aircraft.

-No where near the level being processed in DCS.

Dont compare GFX Engines designed for 2 different Genres.

Having said that, there's things in the works that will hopefully fix most of the FPS problems.

-Moving from DX9 to DX11 being one of them (hence the Link I posted before).

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

vga amd 6970

And that's the "problem".

Wait for the EDGE. It should give you some boost in FPS. AMD is handicapped by current DCS engine beeing DX9 only.

Having said that, something along R9 280x or GTX 770 is really needed for full enjoyment (60FPS+) in maxed out 1080p display.

What's the level of Physics Calculations in the Flight Models on the BF3/4 Aircraft.

Having said that, there's things in the works that will hopefully fix most of the FPS problems.

But smoke is same smoke. And hit-blur effect is not realated with huge battle zone or aircraft polygone count.

Why smoke and hit-blure drops FPS? I don't get it.

Do you know quake3?

In quake3 20 peaple multiplay, 20 rocket launcher fly with huge smoke. but there are not any frame drop at today PC system.

This quake 3 was developed almost 13 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!

But smoke is same smoke. And hit-blur effect is not realated with huge battle zone or aircraft polygone count.

Why smoke and hit-blure drops FPS? I don't get it.

Do you know quake3?

In quake3 20 peaple multiplay, 20 rocket launcher fly with huge smoke. but there are not any frame drop at today PC system.

This quake 3 was developed almost 13 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!

intel i5 2500k over clocked to 5.0ghz

ram 16g

vga amd 6970

win7

First:

AMD right now has no interest in Fixing Driver Performance Issues with DX9 Titles Dating Back to Catalyst 11.x Through Cat 13.12, AMD GPU Users as a whole notice lower FPS than nVidia. It takes alot of Tweaking and lower settings to get decent FPS.

Second:

Please Note, BF3, BF4, and the Newer Engines for Unreal etc all Use DX11, and at the least DX10. Why? Because they support A LOT of features that remove CPU Workload, GPU Workload and Bandwidth. which Results in Better FPS, Specifically over anything Running a DX9 Engine.

Third:

Quake 3 from 13 Years ago does not have anywhere Near the Polygon count of even ONE DCS:A-10C Model in it's entire Rendered Environment. Polygons Use GPU Power. Stop Comparing Smoke Effects in DCS To Smoke Effects in a game that's 10+ years old w/ a Polygon Count lower than my Cholesterol Level.

Fourth.

Do You know How Many Objects are Rendered in the DCS World Environment?,

I Suggest you look at the Object Count in the FPS/Object Data Next time you Fly,

DCS Renders anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000+ Object Models at any given time depending on your settings.

Dont try to Compare that to ANY First Person Shooter, None of them come close.

A Couple Million Polygons and 20,000+ Object DX9 DrawCalls can put a workload on the CPU and GPU that can make it react harshly to the simplest of things Including but not Limited to:

-Spawned Objects from a Cluster Bomb

-Smoke effects that react to Lighting

-Global changes to Lighting Effects

Etc Etc.

And Finally:

What Settings are You Using?,

Because I Am Running DCSW Across 3x 1080p Screens, w/ 2 Extra Screens for the MFCD Displays on a Single HD7950. at a Fluid 30 FPS Locked (locked to 30 to avoid VSYNC Issues). 6300x1080 (5760x1080 For 3 Displays and 2 Smaller Displays Running 540x540.)

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

And that all on 1 core except sound. Does it tell something? Yes, it does.

First:

Second:

Please Note, BF3, BF4, and the Newer Engines for Unreal etc all Use DX11, and at the least DX10. Why? Because they support A LOT of features that remove CPU Workload, GPU Workload and Bandwidth. which Results in Better FPS, Specifically over anything Running a DX9 Engine.

Fourth.

Do You know How Many Objects are Rendered in the DCS World Environment?,

I Suggest you look at the Object Count in the FPS/Object Data Next time you Fly,

DCS Renders anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000+ Object Models at any given time depending on your settings.

Dont try to Compare that to ANY First Person Shooter, None of them come close.

A Couple Million Polygons and 20,000+ Object DX9 DrawCalls can put a workload on the CPU and GPU that can make it react harshly to the simplest of things Including but not Limited to:

-Spawned Objects from a Cluster Bomb

-Smoke effects that react to Lighting

-Global changes to Lighting Effects

The other question is if we need super detailed every vehicle with every wire and screw modelled if we see them from long distance in 90% cases?

It is nice ED models in such detail but hey, they've forgotten about performance.

I really hope newer engine will make drastic performance up together with quality of image.:thumbup:

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

And that all on 1 core except sound. Does it tell something? Yes, it does.

The other question is if we need super detailed every vehicle with every wire and screw modelled if we see them from long distance in 90% cases?

It is nice ED models in such detail but hey, they've forgotten about performance.

I really hope newer engine will make drastic performance up together with quality of image.:thumbup:

The Models have Lower LODs that the engine replaces the Top Level model with at specific Distances.

And the Main process running on a Single Thread is Hardly the problem.

And the Main process running on a Single Thread is Hardly the problem.

:) So if keeping so huge process on one core, while leaving 3 of them free (in 4 core system) is hardly a problem, so what isn't in terms of getting better performance?

Maybe I don't get it right - but for me keeping almost everything on 1 core is a bit odd when we have so heavy app. I hope future design will use all cores, they are not for nice look and stats.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

No need to keep fanboy glasses on. We all understand that current graphic engine is way outdated and needs to be replaced, good thing is that ED knows this and indeed "the fix" is coming "soon". Performance at the moment is horrible but we all can hope/assume that when we get new engine things are starting to run smoothly. Only way to get good fps now is having really beefy computer and even then there is times when old engine just can't handle the load, not your computer.

Btw. 30fps is horrible, that's console bad.

There was sole smoke/fire tweak mod that reduced amount of effects which might be usefull to OP.