Is it the GPU or CPU?

A. You should be Running LOW or MED Preset, then adjust the Settings below that./

B. 2.8GHz is your Bottleneck.

C. Overclockig it to 3.5 GHz and Disabling the Power Savers so it doesnt throttle back would help.

D. Also Make sure the system isnt throttling anything/

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ethereal these are my details:

CPU: Q9450 3.9 GHz

GPU: GTX680 2G VRAM

System RAM: 8G

Attached the settings for DCS, 3D and the FPS chart.

I have limited to 60 FPS in DCS; I see no reason to be more because all LCD monitors cannot do more than 60 FPS anyway.

The FPS average at 36 it is great IMHO considering the pixels involved.

Probably after I upgrade my old CPU/MB will get to 40-45. This is Benchmark.trk that you have tested for me.

I have tried your track but that one is smoked :)

Thanks again for your valuable input.

240410191_DCSgraphics.png.fcdbcaf16a1c12fcde4338a91279a950.png

1448605556_GTX6803Dsettings.png.bb2c0157b83e6bb4ccbdf5d0985153b4.png

1636529368_4960x1920FPS.thumb.png.90b0cda905f75436dc11c57073a912c9.png

Benargee, to answer your original question: is it the GPU or CPU?

It is both... or maybe none of them.

Your track contains too many light sources in the 3D scene which totally kills the performance. Plus a lot of 3D objects and triangles.

Maybe both CPU and GPU get overwhelmed. None of them shows 100% usage, not even the active CPU core. That is because there are other parameters causing the slowdown. Problem is that they are very hard to measure and record in real time.

My guesses are: RAM-VRAM transfer rate, rendering process latencies, RAM speed...

I have limited to 60 FPS in DCS; I see no reason to be more because all LCD monitors cannot do more than 60 FPS anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270

;)

Agreed in general though, I usually limit to something like 30. More important to have a constant FPS than a maximally high one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Agreed on that track: it won't give any worthwhile information since it's basically made to ensure that any and all computers with bottleneck terribly on the CPU, basically telling us that "yes, it is possible to design situations in the mission editor that no computer will handle well".

attachment.php?attachmentid=78875&stc=1&d=1364341880

(In this case, my machine is as per signature but without the overclocking. Some variability in the exact curve locations is caused by the manual start/stop of frame tracking.)

To get useable information, what we would need is either separate tracks for different types of situations/locations, or a track that within one or two minutes transitions between several such situations. Most especially since it would allow identifying specific issues: for example, if we notice a dip with one configuration but not in another, we can thus find any specific setting that will give our specific computer greater protection against performance thieves. :)

(TSSAA is one of those on my computer, being asked to run MSAA, two screens with Aero PLUS the game window is a bit harsh on a 560Ti, though I do feel it does an admirable job of it. :P )

DAMN!, nice analysis!

I think we should start an "official" Benchmark thread if there isnt already. That way we can get a good idea of what hardware runs this the best, or at what price of hardware is satisfactory.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Call Sign: Pork Chop.

intel I5 4670K @ 3.4GHz - GALAXY GTX 670 2GB @ 1080P - 16GB ( 2X8 ) Corsair DDR3 1600MHz - ASUS VG248QE 1080p

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO Mother Board - Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB(game/boot) - WD 640GB HDD 6.0GB/s - 750w Corsair Power Supply

:yes:Trackir 5 w/ Tclip Pro - :joystick:TM HOTAS Warthog - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G700s Mouse (edit:May19/14) http://wiki.benargee.com/

Here's my results Sorin.

High preset, no TSSAA.

Theen I set Water to Low.

Then I also turn off HDR.

attachment.php?attachmentid=78883&stc=1&d=1364379990

Going to get a few rounds with much lower settings in later, I suspect object tracking is CPU-bombing it during most of that track, but need to test a few more variables first to be sure.

Below is a testrun I'm working on based on a test scenario I've devised that does a little of everything, doing combat in-cockpit A-10C with TGP on, but this here is preliminary only - as you can see there definitely is something that is happening there and I'm looking at figuring out what it is. (I have my suspects, as you will probably guess if you run it. 5 minutes long unfortunately.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=78884&stc=1&d=1364379990

Did a test with this track from you.

My setup:

GTX Titan

i7 3820@ 4,6 GHz

16GB Ram

SSD

Those cluster munitions that get dropped bombards the CPU with objects. Every time the CBU drops, the number of objects goes through the roof. I'm observing over 10000 objects....

And for some reason the the smoke as well, kills my performance. Some parts I'm down in single digits with smoke, and CBU's at the same time.

• 1 year later...