Cluster Bombs and Vertical/Horizontal Offsets

JCamel

I want to set up a cluster bomb so that, with CCIP bombing, the bomblets are centred around the CCIP reticle aim. With the default settings they tend to explode before that point due to their release point.

Do the vertical and horizintal offsets influence this or do they do something else?

Is it just a matter of aiming forward of the target area?

If the telegraph pole takes off after you, it is not a telegraph pole.

Due to wind drift and a number of different influences that you would encounter when using cluster munitions, the bomblets for the most part will not go EXACTLY where you want them to go.

Usually though, it is a good enough approximation of your intended target, and they will hit with a good enough spread to do damage to that target. However, if accuracy is what you are going for, I would personally recommend that you use CCRP for aiming CBU/GBU munitions as it is usually going to result in a much more accurate hit.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

They all seem to fall short of the CCIP centre consistently though? I guess I could just guesstimate an adjust but is there a better way?

If the telegraph pole takes off after you, it is not a telegraph pole.

Change HOF to 700, works perfectly for CBU-97/105.

This! Although you may need to increase it slightly if operating in the mountains to allow the weapon to function properly against targets on steeply sloped terrain.

As for CBU-87/103, their sub-munition footprint is dependant on HOF/RPM settings. Footprint tables here.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Change HOF to 700, works perfectly for CBU-97/105.

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. When the 97/105 were first modelled, the default HOF was off so that the bomblets failed to function properly. An update changed the default to 1800 to give the parachutes time to deploy, the rockets to ignite and the bomblets to fling out correctly. I am pretty sure that setting an HOF of less than 1800 will probably cause th 97/105 to fail. Unless this has been changed in another update.

Do the vertical and horizintal offsets influence this or do they do something else?

The horizontal and vertical offsets are meant to adjust the aimpoint in ordet to correct for HUD and canopy optical errors, and for airframe specific differences. They serve no practical purpose in the simulator, since the HUD and canopy are optically perfect, and the airplane you fly is identical each time you fly it.

In the real jet, those values are not manipulated by the pilot, but rather by the avionics shop under controlled diagnostic conditions, and in accordance with very specific data.

End result: leave values at zero.

You're better off adjusting the Fuzing parameters to acheive the desired weapon effects, or by applying a combat offset. A combat offset is simply estimating the aiming error from the previous pass, and applying an appropriate aiming correction on the next pass.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. When the 97/105 were first modelled, the default HOF was off so that the bomblets failed to function properly. An update changed the default to 1800 to give the parachutes time to deploy, the rockets to ignite and the bomblets to fling out correctly. I am pretty sure that setting an HOF of less than 1800 will probably cause th 97/105 to fail. Unless this has been changed in another update.

The default 1800 ft HOF is an idiot proof option which ensures they weapon will function in any possible situation (mountainous terrain etc).

The weapon will operate correctly with anything over a 700ft HOF on level terrain.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL