DCS:Capture The Flag

1014434938_DCSCTFlogo.png.0d2da03b7f0849ecda35495929117c44.png

This is a script that introduces the multiplayer game style of Capture The Flag to DCS:World. Included is also a pack with 15 missions demonstrating the script. The "flag" is represented by red (for red side) or green (for blue side) flares that are popping out of mid-air every other second. The player takes the flag by flying through the point in the air where the flares are coming from (see picture) and captures the flag by flying through their own "base". In the demo-missions, the bases are marked with armed guard towers but the point where the flag is to be put are a few meters above the tower. You can see who is carrying the flag by the colored flares that are popping out of the flag carrier every other second (see picture). Here's a video where you can see it in-game (sorry for being in Swedish):

Another video from the same event:

Rules:

The rules in the demo-missions is similar to but not really standard CTF rules because I forgot the original rules. Each team has a base where their own flag is that they should protect. See picture of a typical map layout (Mozdok). If you fly through your enemies base you take the flag and then carry it with you until you 1) fly through your own base and your team get one point 2) drop the flag by dying and then your teammates can pick it up or the enemy team can return the flag 3) fire a weapon in which you are penalized by the flag being automatically returned to the enemy base (optional, default on).

1317154143_MozdokCTF.thumb.png.98fe6f2c4affd4d997c1b6bc8204930d.png

(Mozdok - typical mission layout)

1880878618_Takeflag.png.fb47f21c4185257e158bdba54c4171ad.png

(Take the flag by flying where the flares are coming from - capture the flag by flying through this point in your own base with the enemy flag)

1633175776_Flagcarrier.png.dadf61888c3ec761596371794afed6bc.png

(The one who carries the flag is popping flares)

Settings:

- Triple flares: To more easily see the flag, have three flares pop at once instead of just one. Default OFF.

- Return flag when other side captures: If you are carrying the flag and the other team captures your teams flag (takes it to their base) you lose the flag you are carrying and it is returned to the enemy base. Default ON.

- Return flag when firing: If you are carrying the flag and fire any of your weapons the flag you are carrying is returned to the enemy base. Default ON.

- Require own flag for capture: You need to have your own flag in your own base in order to capture the enemy flag. Default OFF.

Sounds:

Sounds are played via the mission editor flags 8001 (someone takes the flag) 8002 (someone captures the flag) and 8003 (someone returned the flag). See the demo-missions for how it's done.

A few notes:

- I need feedback! Please post your experience with this script and the missions and what you do with it.

- There seems to be a server-crashing bug, possibly related to players joining. I need help nailing this one down.

- Preliminary testing indicated that flying the same aircrafts on both sides was the most fun, although A-10 vs Su-25 did work OK. To be able to tell people apart we needed to turn labels on, but it would have been awesome with bright red and blue/green skins for the most popular aircrafts like Su-25 and P-51D.

- A 3D-model of the flag, like a bright orb or something would be awesome but my modeling abilities are limited (hint).

Enjoy!

Ps. Some of my squadmates was sceptical at first but then turned over as you can probably hear in the video :) Ds.

DOWNLOAD LINK (latest)

CTF-pack part 1.zip

CTF-pack part 2.zip

CTF.lua

Edited by RagnarDa
Added link to GitHub

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Very cool! I'll have to give this a try. Looks like fun!

Remember to post your experience! If you can't get it to work properly or don't understand something it might be I left out some vital info or there's a problem with the missions/script. Do post because others are probably having the same issues as you are!

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

That sounds like a pretty damned good idea :)

We'll be trying this with Huey's at the weekend, any chance you could add in a penalty for flying higher than a specified ceiling, say 50 meters?

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That sounds like a pretty damned good idea :)

We'll be trying this with Huey's at the weekend, any chance you could add in a penalty for flying higher than a specified ceiling, say 50 meters?

Will take a look when I can.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

• 9 years later...