Bay of Hogs - New Huey Campaign

SFC Tako

Hi, everyone!

The Huey was the first DCS-aircraft I bought and I felt it needed another campaign. The thing is, I pretty much gave up on the Huey after they killed the troop embarking system.

But then after having flown Mustangs and Sabres for a very extended period of time, I just had to try the Huey again...and then I realized what a great machine it is!!!

And that's what this campaign is all about - flying a great machine. Look for it in the "user files" section - there are two versions of it, made for whether you have Starway's Vietnam Mod or not. They can also be installed together if you like, but they are exactly the same except one of them is made to use Starway's Vietnam terrain files (with season set to "fall", thus enabling the jungle files) and the other just to use plain vanilla summer scenery.

And that's it really - no other differences.

Forward thanks to upuaut (brazilian Huey artist), Beefdork (slovenian Huey artist) and finally one of my old favourite artists, nhenley85 (Sandy camo for the P-51).

Yes, I've stolen their beautiful work and added som roundels, tail-fins and the like...like the semi-pro I am!

I hope they feel honoured (and not robbed). After all, I'm VERY picky about whom I steal from ;)

Have fun :joystick:

EDIT: I did not steal upuat's brazilian Huey...I changed my mind actually and stole the original Belsimtek french Huey for the Free Cubans. Well well, not that it matters much now ;)

Edited by SFC Tako

Tako,

Looks like this one's gonna be fun.

Got small prob though.

Got as far as jeep on bridge. Took it out but, despite your warning, got too close and killed myself.

Now when I redo the mission I'm not actuating any triggers.

No pass on blue smoke, or any feedback on way points.

I'm sure I'm passing blue smoke test (90 - 105 kts under 30 ft).

Any ideas?

Tried complete reinstall.

Thanks very much for this Campaign.

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

First thought: NO NO NO - this is NOT happening!

Second thought: Did you just press SHIFT+R to restart mission?

Doing SHIFT+R is no good, I'm afraid. Now please let me know that you managed to restart the mission the oldschool way through getting out and in again with all the menus. Or else I'll go nuts :doh:

EDIT:

Third thought: If you've even reinstalled the campaign and restarted the campaign...and the triggers won't trigger. THEN I really can't say what the problem is.

Anyone else with this problem or a solution to it? Feel free to help. All feedback is appreciated.

FINAL EDIT: Read your post again - you're going TOO SLOW through the smoke! To get this stupid speed test squared away (yes, I admit it) - come in at 80 feet or so, DIVE IN through the smoke. Right after the smoke is the trigger zone. You need to be below 30ft-ish and above 110mph there. CHECK THIS, HERE'S HOW I SOLVED IT!

Edited by SFC Tako

Tako, Relax!

Always restart via menus.

I've been thru smoke successfully a few times, identically to your vid.

Since mission failure though, no go.

I'll mess around with it a bit. Then maybe hit it with my shoe.

Just had a thought. I've been fast forwarding the troop embarking segment cuz music drives me nuts. Wonder if that's a prob.

Will keep ya posted.

Thanks again.

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

My Man!

Back in business.

Not sure if it was the fast forward or I wasn't going fast enough.

Anyway, power lines fly under comin up.

Thanks.

JUST CHOPPERS

@Andrew u.k.

@gabuzomeu

Thank you

You don't know how much kind words and appreciation means to me :)

This whole campaign-making-process actually just sprung up from me trying out the Huey again and testing a few stupid stunts...which lead me to saving a stupid-stunt mission...which after a few days led me to add some more stuff into it, like "let's make it look like a proper mission"...and so on. Also, I'd say pretty much NOBODY will finish this campaign without crashing or getting whacked at least a couple of times. But do not despair, think of it as an 80s action movie with yourself starring as a passionate latino war hero, fighting the good fight ;)

The whole story sort of took shape after I had finished mission #2...but then I also thought I'd better introduce people to the "poor man's gunship"-routine before going to Cuba. So I made a "training" mission (mission #1)...and the snowball began rolling!

You'll probably experiance a lot of things that aren't very nice to handle, but think positive, try to be latin or something. I didn't really mean to get carried away with a full campaign at first, but hey - "these things happen y'know"... :music_whistling:

EDIT: The weather! Yeah, that mission editor isn't so bad after all. I'm far from an expert, but you can create pretty cool looking surroundings (and moods in a way) in the mission editor. Apart from that, as I've totally given up on any working embark/disembark-function in a near future (or far future for that matter)...well I just went bananas and did everything the "hardcoded" way with triggers/activations. 'Cause nobody's gonna mess up my Huey experience! ;)

Edited by SFC Tako

I see no install directions. Does this get put in my Huey campaign folder?

MJ

msi Z170A MB, i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz, 32GB DDR4

GeForce GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

Acer Predator Z271, 650w PSU, Corsair Carbon500R, MS FFB 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can't complete the first part of the first mission- fly fast below 30' thru the blue smoke. Made three runs and they all looked pretty good (a little shaky from Mothers day festivities). No smoke after second run. I tried to attach a track, but got a message that I don't have a security token?!

Please advise.

Thank You,

MJ

I can't complete the first part of the first mission- fly fast below 30' thru the blue smoke. Made three runs and they all looked pretty good (a little shaky from Mothers day festivities). No smoke after second run. I tried to attach a track, but got a message that I don't have a security token?!

Please advise.

Thank You,

MJ

Had same issue. Just get faster and lower. It works.

JUST CHOPPERS

I must not be fast enough, I'm definitely low enough. I'll keep trying.

MJ

Tako, got question regarding Mission 2. Please see spoiler.

Mission 2: took out AAA's and 4 Migs. Landed on green marker, waited 5 minutes. Nothing happened. No further orders??

JUST CHOPPERS

@Chic

That's weird, never happened to me. Now the question is, WHAT "stopped" the mission? Did you get the explicit order to land there? Right beside the knocked out AAA, I mean.

Anyways, I'll check tonight on exactly what needs to be done. If nothing else, land as close as possible to the AAA, nose just a few feet away from it.

You can check how I do it here:

COMPARE THIS! @18:15

UPDATE: I checked on it now - having been ordered to land at the knocked out AAA, there are three conditions that must be met to start "repair and load" of the AAA-piece.

1. Speed must be less than 1m/s (you must be parked)

2. Altitude must be below 20m (you must be parked on the ground, NOT on the AAA itself)

3. You must be within 100 feet (35m) of the knocked out AAA

Please let me know if you still can't get things rolling or if I've misunderstood the whole problem.

ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM? Don't feel ashamed of letting me know. If I've done a mediocre job on this mission - now's the time to correct things.

Edited by SFC Tako

Tako, I watched the Vid.

I assumed that Mission 2 was over at that point Obviously NOT.

It's possible that I missed the order to transport the artillery cuz I was in F2 external view mode for a while.

Will go it again.

Thaks

Edited by Chic

JUST CHOPPERS

AH! :thumbup:

Well alrighty then - good feedback. See there's one thing that lurks in the back of my mind when I'm making missions: Will people get things?

So this was good info, this point and the very start with the blue smoke - these are points that I've might not been very clear on. But then again, just how clear should I be? I learned in the army to be uber-clear on things...but in civilian life, some people take offense when you're being uber-clear. Like "Hey I get that, do you think I'm stupid?!" and all that ;)

Well, good luck and keep me posted!

Edited by SFC Tako

• 1 month later...