{Inquiry} ATGMS and LWS

arkroyale048

Good day,

With DCS 1.5 and me in the Ka-50, I seem to be blundering more and more into (usually hidden) tank groups. By the time I noticed, there's usually an ATGM on the way or I'm already dead. Back in 1.2; ATGM range means an audio cue from the LWS.

In 1.5 there is no audio cue for ATGMs on the LWS.

Made a mission with a tank and my Ka-50 in order to test. Unfortunately no matter how much I try to get a track, it seems to be not recording correctly. Instead I have a video clip from one of my streams.

http://www.twitch.tv/arkroyale048/v/19853063

As you can see early in the clip; I got launched on by an ATGM (from the Shkval) and there's no cue from the LWS.

- Have confirmed that my LWS is turned on (started the mission with the Ka-50 already started)

- Have confirmed that I do receive an audio cue for others. Had another Ka-50 in multiplayer lase me and I did get the audio cue.

Have discussed this with a fellow Ka-50 player and he says; those ATGMs are supposed to be optically guided anyway and that there shouldn't be any laser ranging.

If the ATGMs are indeed SACLOS then I would have to accept this :) If not please log this in :D

Thanks and regards

what kind of vehicle was it that launched on you? Judging by the video, you were just in range of a wire-guided missile like the TOW, which of course requires no laser.

Russian tanks use laser beam riding missiles. The guidance beam for laser beam riders is much weaker than laser rangefinders or the beam used to guide semi-active laser homing missiles or bombs, so its conceivable that the LWS might not detect it.

In 1.2 ground vehicles used to lase you with the rangefinder even when using wire guided missiles. Maybe for whatever reason they don't do that anymore.

I think they just haven't added some of the features with the 1.5 beta. A lot of the original functions seem to be missing, mainly in regards to the ABRIS. I would assume with the full release this will all be fixed.

In regards to which ATGMs use laser guidance are irrelevant, considering the shooter must know the distance to target by way of laser ranging prior to launching the missile. So you should in fact receive a LWS "range" warning. Especially with tanks shooting main gun rounds, they must first range to target.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

In regards to which ATGMs use laser guidance are irrelevant, considering the shooter must know the distance to target by way of laser ranging prior to launching the missile. So you should in fact receive a LWS "range" warning. Especially with tanks shooting main gun rounds, they must first range to target.

Reaper6

That doesn't apply to wire guided ATGMs though. They don't need to know the distance to the target and the target doesn't get illuminated by anything.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

You still need to determine if the target is within range though, unless the target is stupid close.

You don't need a laser for that. You can do that by using tools like a map, binocs or just by guessing. Don't get too dependent on technology in the field. ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Considering the cost of a TOW IIB missile is upwards of $60k each with a range of 4km. at 4km looking thru the site of a BFV it is nearly impossible at that range to estimate(not that it can't or hasn't been done). And generally if you are using the TOW missile you are in reality attempting to engage targets beyond the range of your main gun(2km AP / 3km HE). So any current vehicles with the capabilities of employing the ATGMs most certainly do have a laser range finder(and is implemented in DCS).

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

You are probably not going to engage helicopters with your cannon past 1km though. It would be very inaccurate fire.

If you know the helicopter you are shooting at has lws I could understand you would try to not use the laser rangefinder. Though I don't think ai takes these kind of things in consideration.

Considering the cost of a TOW IIB missile is upwards of $60k each with a range of 4km. at 4km looking thru the site of a BFV it is nearly impossible at that range to estimate(not that it can't or hasn't been done). And generally if you are using the TOW missile you are in reality attempting to engage targets beyond the range of your main gun(2km AP / 3km HE). So any current vehicles with the capabilities of employing the ATGMs most certainly do have a laser range finder(and is implemented in DCS).

Reaper6

That's right, vehicles usally have them. But usally it's because they need them to provide ranging for the gun in the first place.

In my previous comment I also had ATGMs used by infantry in mind, but that doesn't apply to DCS of course.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think it may be broken unless every Russian armored vehicle never uses their laser...

I created a quick test mission with every Russian armored item in the editor (attached) and flew though the grouping a couple of times. I never get a LWR warning. The few times I managed to make it though without exploding I ran the self test mode on the LWR and although the announcement isn't playing for me the warning lights do come on.

test.miz

Have you tried the “ВКЛ – АВАР” (On-Emergency) switch. “ВКЛ” is normal mode and “АВАР” is emergency mode with doubling all EKRAN messages with VMS sound.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

• ED Team

I've been playing Black Shark since 2009, and I've never gotten "lased" when BMP's of any model launch ATGM's at me. It's why I never stay hovering unmasked for too long, because the only time I spot them is when I see the approaching smoke trail, or when I hear the "whoosh" of a near miss. I get lased all the time when a tank is about to blast me with it's main tank gun though.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head