how to bomb statics targets with INS - tutorial for noobs

blast

HI everyone,

I am looking for a tutorial that explain how to bomb a static target (factory, bridge) using the ins system (and not the laser marking).

I read carefully the Zeus post on this forum which talk about this topic, but im completely lost.

I think a video tutorial would be very welcome!

:music_whistling:

Thanks for your help

If you wait a little you will find a training mission dedicated to that.

Fixed that for you ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Fixed that for you ;)

It makes more sense.

I actually found this video posted on this forum.

I am now able to align the ins and to enter the coordinates of a new target with the PREP function. But after flying 80km to the enter coordinates, the drift (error) is very important. What am I missing ?

It makes more sense.

I actually found this video posted on this forum.

I am now able to align the ins and to enter the coordinates of a new target with the PREP function. But after flying 80km to the enter coordinates, the drift (error) is very important. What am I missing ?

This: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=168390 ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

This is a test mission that I made for 2.0.3. I was trying to solve a problem that somebody had using IP Bombing. It is a by the book mission.

First, if you intent to use the INS for bombing a static target it is of utmost importance to plan the mission very careful before starting the flight.

In this test mission I have to bomb the bridge by Hoover Dam.

1st. I detailed a flight plan:

Nevada%20IP%20Bombing%20Test%2001_zps3yv9udvr.png

2nd. I selected a Waypoint as my IP (Initial Point) and calculated the Offset towards my target:

Nevada%20IP%20Bombing%20Test%2000_zpsfwvxdenv.png

3rd. I checked the terrain elevation around the target. This is a very important step, if done wrong you will miss the target altogether.

Nevada%20IP%20Bombing%20Test%2002_zpsis1kd5xk.png

Nevada%20IP%20Bombing%20Test%2004_zps25qofpqu.png

Nevada%20IP%20Bombing%20Test%2003_zpsnj0q4qqy.png

Nevada%20IP%20Bombing%20Test%2005_zpsvrdusjpi.png

4th. Now that I have determined the true terrain elevation of my target, I make my final calculations:

Nevada%20IP%20Bombing%20Test%2006_zpsfuavosxr.png

Remember that ΔAlt is NOT the target altitude but the difference between the IP altitude and the target altitude. In this case ΔAlt is -1995 ft. IP altitude (Waypoint 3) is 3553 ft. Bridge Span altitude was determined to be 1558 ft. ΔAlt = IP Alt - Tgt Alt = 3553 - 1558 = 1995.

Since the bridge span is at a lower altitude than the IP, then the result must be a negative number so ΔAlt = -1995ft.

5th Climb into the cockpit.

After the INS is aligned, you need to select the waypoint that is the IP in the PCN for editing.

a. Click on PREP

b. Use the numeric keypad to input the waypoint number. For this sample it is 03.

c. Click the paramater knob until it is at ΔAlt.

d. Enter the ΔAlt value, in feet or meters. In this sample it was entered in feet.

e. Click the parameter knob until it is at Rho/Theta (ρ/θ).

f. Enter the Rho (distance) value in nautical miles.

g. Enter the Theta (true bearing) value in degrees.

Continue with the rest of your checklist and start the flight.

6. When you are on route towards the Waypoint selected as the IP, you must:

a. Select the bomb you are going to use.

b. Select the fuzing you want to use.

c. Click Master Arm ON to put the system in AG mode. The system will check that the waypoint has a valid BAD coordinate. If it does, the PI option will appear in the PCA.

d. Select the PI option in the PCA. This will mark the waypoint as an IP. The radar will attempt to enter into TAS mode.

e. Fly the aircraft towards the IP (Waypoint).

f. When near the IP do an INS position update if needed.

g. When you overfly the IP the following happens:

- The system will give you steer commands towards the BAD (target position).

- The FPM will show a couple of "wings" that indicate steering error.

- A target cross will appear over the BAD position. It should be over the target.

h. Fly towards the cross, trying to keep the FPM wings level.

i. Press the trigger when the release cue appear on the HUD. Keep the trigger pressed.

j. The release cue will move towards the center of the FPM. Keep the trigger pressed.

k. A bomb will be automatically released as soon as the release cue crosses the FPM center and if you have kept the trigger pressed the whole time.

l. Release the trigger as soon as the cue disappears.

Nevada%20IP%20Bombing%20Test%2007_zps8cdzqrp0.png

BULLSEYE!!

Nevada%20IP%20Bombing%20Test%2009_zpsg61skepj.png

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

As promised here's the brief tutorial video:

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

1. From the F10 map. You place the mouse cursor above the point and read on the top left corner the coordinates/elevation. Preferable set your map to show imperial units.

2. You already know it because it is one of your waypoints and should be situated on an object from scenery (A bridge a tower, etc). This is part of mission preparation. In the example made by Zeus it was the Antena of the TACAN station near Boulder City. He placed the diamond near it and not on top because there are some bugs about F10 map - Mission editor Map coordinates translation... I think.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

1. from the F10 map. You place cursor above the point and read on the top left corner the elevation. preferable set your map to show imperial units.

this is so inconvenient

what if there's no F10 map at all ????

can I set BAD point coordinates same as IP ? with same elevation ?

2. You already know it because it is one of your waypoints and should be situated on an object from scenery (A bridge a tower, etc). This is part of mission preparation.

ok, never tried it, but once I will

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Normally you have a millitary map :D

@Zeus

Just thinking... What if the errors we see with the maps are related to Elevation? What if we choose a waypoint situated on flat surface? Would the errors disappear?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

ok, so there's no way to bomb on coordinates then. if JTAC is telling me coordinates of target - I can't enter them for BAD position. cause BAD is not coords, but a delta from IP point. and if you set range between IP and BAD, for example, to 0.1nm, the system just won't have enough time to guide me and provide a bombing solution. am I right ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

from another thread:

This is great! I was able to use JTAC coordinates as the IP and the JTAC successfully guided the GBU-12 to the intended destination. However, I am wondering why this approach requires an offset waypoint? Because having to setup an offset (even though it is just a value of about 0,001 degree) to get it to work, fells kinda wrong? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to complain, I am just interested into the "why". Thanks

I can't understand how he managed to get a bombing solution for IP instead of BAD ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't understand

1) how do you know BAD coordinates/elevation ?

By planning before starting the flight. Just like it is done in real life.

This is the link to the planning stage: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2930367&postcount=11

2) how do you know the right point to perform INS update ?

Because during the planning stage I choose a specific building, in this case a TACAN station, with a known Lat/Lon/Altitude value.

Same thing is done in a real life mission briefing.

this is so inconvenient

what if there's no F10 map at all ????

There always is a map. No bombing mission starts without one. Not even in real life.

In a real life mission briefing they will provide you with a list of known geographical points to check for in order to recognize that you are in the right place.

It is very easy to get lost in the air. In WWII a B-17 flying towards Germany got lost and landed in Norway. Yeah, the navigator not only missed a country but nearly missed the entire continent.

With modern navigational aids it is harder but not impossible.

can I set BAD point coordinates same as IP ?

No, you cannot. By definition the IP (Initial Point) is the point from where your bombing run starts. The IP can never be in the same spot where the target is.

If you try, the system will declare it an invalid BAD coordinate and will disable INS bombing.

with same elevation ?

Yes. The BAD can have the same elevation as the IP.

ok, so there's no way to bomb on coordinates then. if JTAC is telling me coordinates of target - I can't enter them for BAD position. cause BAD is not coords, but a delta from IP point. and if you set range between IP and BAD, for example, to 0.1nm, the system just won't have enough time to guide me and provide a bombing solution. am I right ?

You are correct. I'll explain below.

from another thread:

I can't understand how he managed to get a bombing solution for IP instead of BAD ?

He didn't.

This is great! I was able to use JTAC coordinates as the IP and the JTAC successfully guided the GBU-12 to the intended destination. However, I am wondering why this approach requires an offset waypoint? Because having to setup an offset (even though it is just a value of about 0,001 degree) to get it to work, fells kinda wrong? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to complain, I am just interested into the "why". Thanks
He created a flight plan that had the JTAC position as a waypoint. When the JTAC gave him range and bearing to the target, he could enter those as the BAD and the system engaged.

In other words he planned his attack run before he flew the mission.

From your statements I am guessing that what you are trying to do is use the M-2000C for CAS. That is you will loiter over the battlefield and will engage in targets of opportunity.

Unfortunately this is the wrong aircraft to do that. It was never designed with CAS in mind and the AG capability is secondary to its main purpose: intercept and destroy enemy bombers.

This is the type of aircraft that requires a lot of planning before a bombing mission starts with flight plans, known defense mapping, initial point, extraction point, SAR areas, etc. This is not an aircraft that you tell the pilot "Go there and wait for FAC instructions", like the A-10.

In AG mode, this is the type of aircraft that your squadron commander comes and tells you: "Tomorrow we will support the 10th armored division in their counter attack. Here are the details."

This is why you will always have all the target information at hand before you even start the flight. This is why you will always have the F10 map. This is why you will always know the target elevation in case you have to do an INS bombing run.

@ ZHeN:

It's simple in fact: the "IP" (+BAD) process is not intended to be used with a JTAC in a CAS scenario.

Rather than trying to make it work at all cost, I would use other (simpler) modes in CAS scenario, such as CCIP or CCRP normal modes (depending on weapon) using the JTAC-given coordinates to create a BUT (not a BAD) and simply using it (as DEST) as a reference for my bombing run.

The IP" (+BAD) process is intended to be used for AI mission, with full preparation (including knowing IP and target locations) before climbing in the aircraft.

spacer.png

what's BUT ?

The waypoint.

from another thread:

He just set a BAD with the lowest offset value as possible

so for instance he entered that the bad was 1 meter east and 1meter north of IP, and because he's using JTAC the difference of impact point doesn't appear (guided bomb)