Rearming AI ground/air units?

Spades_Neil

M818, Kamaz, Ural etc. And Warehouses, FARPs and Airfields, if their faction matches yours and they are not neutral.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Actually it should be enough to have it close and it has your coalition... Though I noticed problems with reloading AI sometimes.

In Combined Arms it works like that.

I set up AI (Artillery, mortars) usually in groups that have their own ammo truck.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Some units have onboard ammo storage, so the crew "disembarks" and "reloads" the tubes (externally, takes a couple of minutes). After the onboard supply is gone they need to rearm, completely.

Shagrat

Some units have onboard ammo storage, so the crew "disembarks" and "reloads" the tubes (externally, takes a couple of minutes). After the onboard supply is gone they need to rearm, completely.

Also the reload process differs depending on how the unit operates. The Bradley is a good example, it has 7 TOWs onboard with 2 in the launcher. After it fires the two it has to stop and reload the missiles into the launcher. Generally only the IR sam units are like this, all other sams require a warehouse to rearm once missiles are expended.

Reaming time depends on what is being rearmed and how many items need to be re-added.

Machine guns and auto-cannons tend to rearm the entire magazine in one counter, so the rearm process for that can take a long time.

Missiles and tank shells tend to be rearmed one at a time so the total rearm time is scaled directly with the amount of ammunition needed to rearm. Size matters so it takes something like 30 minutes per missile for a S-300 and Patriot while a smaller sam site like SA-6 takes 10 minutes per missile.

Some missiles are rearmed in "packs" where multiple missiles are reloaded at the same time. An example of this is the SA-15 TOR which has 8 missiles loaded into 2 packs of 4. The rearm time is the same regardless if it fired 1 to 4 missiles. Once it fires the 5th the rearm time doubles as it needs to replace the other pack.

Annoyingly there isn't any scripting control or information over rearming behavior other than if a unit is within range of a warehouse. I have feature requests submitted to rectify it. The big problem is once a unit starts to rearm the AI can't stop it until the process is finished. So as you can imagine it is a little annoying to deal with depending on what you are doing.

Also ships don't rearm. Period.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

@grimes, interesting feedback.

As an add-on to what you explained, what kind of warehouses can be used?

And what is the range the warehouse needs to be close to the rearming units? And does the range apply for the group or unit? If group, does the whole group need to be in range?

I know of the trucks, but there are many trucks. Which trucks for which coalition?

Been diving into the dcs code, and it seems there are more truck types that can be used...

Having these questions already for a long time...

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Its measured for each unit. .

Airbase *should* be from the coordinates given via airbase functions, but I don't know for sure. Also the coordinate may not match perfectly with the circle shown in the editor. I know it was a problem once with Groom Lake. Maybe I should recheck all the bases.

Coalition is all that matters. As long as it is the same one, it can rearm. These are the last checked values as of sometime last summer. Values are in meters. For the ground units it doesn't matter if it is a normal unit or static object. The "Tanks" are fuel tanks, at preset DCS does not distinguish the type of storage for a given warehouse.

local warehouseDef = {
	['airbase'] = 2000,
	['FARP'] = 200,
	['.Ammunition depot'] = 200,
	['Tank'] = 200,
	['Tank 2'] = 200,
	['Tank 3'] = 200,
	['Warehouse'] = 200,
	['Ural-375'] = 200,
	['Ural-375 PBU'] = 200,
	['Ural-4320-31'] = 200,
	['Ural-4320T'] = 200,
	['Gaz-3308'] = 200,
	['Gaz-66'] = 200,
	['M 818'] = 200,
}

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

@grimes +1. Thanks! It us clear now. Ib was under the impression the max distance for trucks was 150, but now it is 200.

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]