DCS World 2.1.1 and DLCs Now Available on Steam

kushoon

Hi,

Might sound like noob questions but I did not fully understand this. The announcement says:

"In order to install DCS World 2.1.1, please select to install the openalpha version from your Steam Library / Properties / BETAS window. From the “select the beta you would like to opt into:” drop down, please select the openalpha – Public alpha versions (2.x).

As part of the DCS World 2.1.1 release, we are also making available the DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range map. As DCS World 2.1.1 does NOT include the Caucasus map, the NEVADA map is a required DLC purchase to use DCS World 2.1.1"

1) Does this mean another DCS version will be installed alongside the DCS 1.5 version that I currently have?

2) Will all the aircrafts that I have in 1.5 be ported to 2.1 or will I have to use the Steam keys to activate them separately in 2.1?

3) Will I be able to play both DCS 1.5 and DCS 2.1?

4) What happens when they are merged in 2.5? How will they be merged

Thanks for any clarity on the questions!!

Hi kushoon,

I'll try to give you some answers to your questions:

1) No. You need to choose which of the beta/ early access versions you want to have installed. To change a version you first need to navigate to your steam library. In the list on the left hand side you look for DCS and right click on it with your mouse. In the menu that opens, choose "Properties" at the bottom. This should open a new window with some tabs on the top, one of which should be labeled "BETAS" (somewhere on the right side). On that page you should see a drop-down menu at the top left. When you click on it you can choose the version you want to use. After you selected one Steam should start to download the needed data. See the attached screen shot.

2) I don't know that, havn't tried it yet.

3) Yes and no. Steam seems not to allow the to have multiple versions in parallel, at least to my knowledge. You need to select a version you want to play and needed files will then be downloaded and installen (see 1). However, you can change whenever you want.

4) That depends. If you select the "NONE - Opt out of all beta programms" option, you will stay at the newest stable version and patches will be installed as you have set it up. Typically each version would receive its own patches, at least from what I've experianced from other games. Then, depending on how ED wants to handle it, either they stop the branch and you need to change again to the "NONE - Opt out of all beta programms" to get the newest stable. Or they might merge the branches, which basically means they do that change for you. From your end both ways should look like the regualr installation of a patch. What happens to you modules I don't know. However, I assume since they are connected to your account you will find them in DCS as usual. Maybe you need to activate them, but this I don't know; which shouldn't be too difficult since Steam shows you all your keys for your games when you are in a games and open the Steam overlay.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers.

SteamBetas.png.270712038a34e57eb3da9146b73a0336.png

Hi kushoon,

I'll try to give you some answers to your questions:

1) No. You need to choose which of the beta/ early access versions you want to have installed. To change a version you first need to navigate to your steam library. In the list on the left hand side you look for DCS and right click on it with your mouse. In the menu that opens, choose "Properties" at the bottom. This should open a new window with some tabs on the top, one of which should be labeled "BETAS" (somewhere on the right side). On that page you should see a drop-down menu at the top left. When you click on it you can choose the version you want to use. After you selected one Steam should start to download the needed data. See the attached screen shot.

2) I don't know that, havn't tried it yet.

3) Yes and no. Steam seems not to allow the to have multiple versions in parallel, at least to my knowledge. You need to select a version you want to play and needed files will then be downloaded and installen (see 1). However, you can change whenever you want.

4) That depends. If you select the "NONE - Opt out of all beta programms" option, you will stay at the newest stable version and patches will be installed as you have set it up. Typically each version would receive its own patches, at least from what I've experianced from other games. Then, depending on how ED wants to handle it, either they stop the branch and you need to change again to the "NONE - Opt out of all beta programms" to get the newest stable. Or they might merge the branches, which basically means they do that change for you. From your end both ways should look like the regualr installation of a patch. What happens to you modules I don't know. However, I assume since they are connected to your account you will find them in DCS as usual. Maybe you need to activate them, but this I don't know; which shouldn't be too difficult since Steam shows you all your keys for your games when you are in a games and open the Steam overlay.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers.

Hi Arsonist, Thanks a lot for taking the time and replying to the questions. I am really eager to play on the NTTR map (makes for some really cool short films and aerobatic shots). You have already answered all of my questions but there seems to be some confusion about whether the modules like Mig-21, F-5, Mig-15, Mi-8 that I already own in DCS 1.5 will also be moved to DCS 2.1 if I chose the Open Alpha option or will I need to re-activate using the Steam Keys.

Thanks a lot!!

Edited by kushoon
Incomplete

Hi kushoon,

I'm not sure if you can get NTTR to work on Steam already. I guess you can only use the modules which are provided via Steam. Just a guess.

However, it would be strange since I thought that DCS 2.x only supports the new terrain technology and not the old one.

I'm sorry, for the keys I have no answer, because I didn't try any of the DCS beta options via Steam, yet.

EDIT:

I was not paying attention, NTTR is now available on Steam as DLC. Completely missed that...

Thus it shoukld work.

Fly save!

Edited by Arsonist
Not paying attention...

Hi kushoon,

I've tried it now briefly and can give you some information on the keys.

The only thing you need to do is to switch to the open-alpha, as described above (assuming you have already purchased NTTR).

Steam keeps all your installed modules, as you had before switching. There was no question for activation or something similar - all seems to be handled internally.

I started the mission editor, put an A-10 C on the ramp at Nellis and was able to play.

Plain and simple.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Question,

Ok now DCS NTTR is available on steam, so does this mean both maps, the caucuses and nttr can be played on the same version of the game.

or as I understand, steam will by default install the dcs 1.5 version with the caucases map only unless you manually opt-in to the alpha version which only includes the NTTR map

Question,

Ok now DCS NTTR is available on steam, so does this mean both maps, the caucuses and nttr can be played on the same version of the game.

or as I understand, steam will by default install the dcs 1.5 version with the caucases map only unless you manually opt-in to the alpha version which only includes the NTTR map

No still 2 versions are required.

If you opt in to the alpha version, your 1.5 install on steam will be overwritten.

Hi I have opted into the DCS 2.0 Alpha on Steam, I had to use a activation key for all my modules as the Alpha loaded up the first time, however it did not ask me for a NTTR activation key, now its telling me I have to buy it, I already own it, does any one know how to get this working as there is no module manger in the steam version of DCS 2 for me to add it in from in the game.