support for HDR

twistking

Is HDR display support planned for DCS?

I think HDR support would be a no brainer for DCS with its PBR and generally high dynamic range.

Of course first of all the devs should improve rendering on SDR, since dynamic range compression still seems to be one of the major problems of the 2.5 release.

(see the rather odd gamma implementation of 2.5: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209340 )

So, have there been any infos in that regard? HDR displays are getting cheaper and i could imagine the next generation of VR pushing HDR for obvious reasons.

Is the current "situation" with dynamic range maybe a sign of ED working internally on a new, flexible LUT to cater for SDR and HDR at the same time?

(remember that before PBR we had the "HDR" tickbox in the options, which would toggle eye adaptation/compression....)

Agree that would be great. The Xbox One X and PS4 games support 4K+HDR. It’s a shame to be behind the technology of consoles!

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

i think it would also give the devs the ability to improve spotting in a natural way, as the whole scene could be rendered more true to life.

less visually merging of aircrafts with the ground and more dynamic range to really work on glinting and similar...

but most importantly it would be important to know, if HDR is planned for the future, since people need to decide, if they want to invest in an HDR display or not.

sorry to self-bump this thread,

but does anyone know if there is HDR support planned for the future?

I'm planning to buy an new monitor and wouldn't choose an HDR capable screen, if not for DCS.

The slight oddities of how DCS renderer handles dynamic range atm, lead me to believe that ED is still iterating on dynamic range, but this is highly speculative of course...

Many games are starting to support HDR and the new series graphics cards, Nvidia 10 and maybe 9 series, support it. So it’s worth plannning for in a new monitor IMO

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

[...] So it’s worth plannning for in a new monitor IMO

well, i it depends. you'll find decent HDR specs in the premium segment only and the line-up of supported titles is still limited.

also implementation with windows is supposed to be hit or miss at the moment.

that said, i'm a big fan of the technology and see huge potential for gaming and especially for simualtors, that aim to realistically recreate the real world.

at this point though, i personally would not want to spend the extra money if it was not for dcs... (i'm not interested in the other titles that currently support hdr...)

Yeah if I was looking at a new monitor it might be a factor depending on the cost

Its reasonable to expect this video standard to become the norm within the next few years. It will be as universal as Full HD is today. Most all current UHD TVs support it.

Note you’ll want to be sure a display supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. It’s not a question of if but when. Flight sims of all games will really benefit from it.

Agree that it would be nice for eagle dynamics to state if HDR is actually in the roadmap for the next years. I usually buy a monitor for at least 7 years. So, would not buy one without HDR at this moment. 7 years is a long time.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

• 2 years later...

Am I correct in assuming that DCS still doesn't support HDR?  I've been playing it on an OLED TV and it looks pretty decent after reducing the gamma setting to 1.4, but in night missions it's necessary to decrease it all the way down to ~1.1 to get rid of weird looking banding in the sky.

Resurrecting a 3 year old request!

no still no HDR here…

Every other game I own has HDR now except DCS and one other combat flight sim. 
Cmon ED, let’s keep up with the times, it’s 2021! 😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...