[Review] Rel4y's Magnetoresistive Sensor kits for TM Cougar

Rudel_chw

A couple of months ago, I purchased one of these Kits to replace the Pots of my Hotas Cougar, that were starting to present "spiking". This is a video where I show the values that the stick axes were producing with the original Pots:

Of course, I first contacted Guillemot to purchase spares, but the Cougar Stick's Pots are not available anymore. So, upon seeing this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

... I proceeded to contact the user @rel4y and purchased a kit, as the 46 Euro cost seemed reasonable to me, compared with how much would it cost to replace my Cougar with a new Hotas. The kit arrived to my country unharmed, on a bubble wrapped envelope:

zqg0Ubb.jpg

I liked that these replacement sensors came ready to plug 🙂 ... while the original Pots that Guillemot used to sell, required soldering as they came without cables:

G8mZ1TH.jpg

The installation is very straightforward, tough you have to open the stick's base and unscrew the circuit board, like this:

uKs4Ctm.jpg

The new sensors replaced the old pots easily, tough they need a very snug fit to prevent slippage while operating .. on one of the sensors I had to put a "ring" of 3M tape around its axis in order to get the proper fit:

1ULOPgl.jpg

Here we can see both new sensors installed, with their white bases visible:

cyNo6l3.jpg

I took the opportunity to clean my Cougar and also replaced their gimbals with a spare set that I had purchased to the User @xoxen more than a year ago and hadn't had the urge to install until now .. I expected the new gimbals to reduce a bit of the center play that the Cougar has, but unfortunately they had the same play as my older gimbals 😞

g4rUSJl.jpg

Anyway, I reassembled the Cougar and repeated the original analysis of the axes response, that now is like this:

As you can compare with the first video, the results were very good ... each axis now showing smooth progression and no spiking at all ... in fact, I had to remove the reference lines of the display, as it was hiding the response dots 😄

One drawback that I found with the new sensors, is that one of them had an inverted response ... forcing me to activate on DCS the "invert" option for their response curve. No big deal but tought that it should be mentioned.

So, to summarize:

Pros:

- The sensor do work

- Their smoothnes and freedom from spiking are much much better than the OEM pots.

- Reasonable cost at 20 Euros each, not much more higher than the OEM prices, and in fact cheaper if I take into account the shipping cost.

- Plug & Play installation, unlike the OEM pots, that require soldering.

Cons:

- These sensors are hand produced and you may have to wait for their manufacture.

- If the Sensor axis doesnt fit snugly into the gimbal, you may need to add 3M tape around it to get the proper grip.

Conclusion:

A very worthwhile upgrade ... it doesnt solve the center play problem that plagues the Cougar, but once out of center the improved response is very noticeable, particularly during formation flying and refuelling.

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Anyone know where I can get replacement Antenna Elevation & Range POTs?

Finding a Man Range/Uncage pot that functions like the original is very difficult. Your best bet is a guitar pot. The problem is it’s a center detent, 50K ohm pot with push button. They’re no longer made.

The Antenna Elev is a simple 50K ohm, center detent potentiometer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Well, the Antenna Elev is the most problematic. I appreciate the fact that is a simple part, but I have been unsuccessful in finding one. I sure as heck dont know the specs. Can you recommend a place and part #? Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I don't like the fact that you are taking a review thread and using it to ask for help, why couldn't you start your own thread?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you Rudel, for this extensive review :thumbup:

Axis response really looks smooth

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I don't like the fact that you are taking a review thread and using it to ask for help, why couldn't you start your own thread?

I see your point sir, I meant no disrespect. I searched for relevant posts and stumbled on this and another. I didn’t want to start a new thread as I felt there were already relevant existing. I will delete my post, my sincere apologies.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle