[REPORTED]Serious headwind/tailwind bug - F-16 edition

bkthunder

As discovered for the F-5, the F-16 is also plauged by a very serious bug by which its performance (acceleration, speed, fuel flow, engine params) are affected by wind.

Let's clarify one simple fact first:

Wind has no effect on a flying aicraft, except for ground track and ground speed.

Please read up on it, but this is basic knowledge (a nice and easy article here http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/instruments/q0210.shtml).

Therefore wind shouldn't have any effects when it comes to:

- IAS

- Acceleration

- Fuel flow

- Engine parameters

- Mach number

However, ufortunately, in DCS:F-16 (as well as F-5 and maybe others at thsi point...), wind affects all of those parmeters. Please see the track attached.

This is noticeable at any speed / altitude, but for the purpose of the track, the following parameters were used for testing:

Alt: 11.500ft (inside the wind layer)

Wind speed: 97kts (max allowable by dcs) in the layer starting at 6600ft

Test 1:

Engine RPM = 80%

Flying with headwind = Can't sustain flight, speed drops below 140 kts CAS (AoA limiter kicks in at 25 degrees resutling in loss of altitude)

Flying with tailwind: 184 Kts CAS

Test2:

Engine RPM= 90%

Flying with headwind = 408 Kts CAS

Tailwind = 445 Kts CAS

IMO this is extremely high priority.

F-16 wind-engine-bug.trk

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I agree,

Perhaps move to the bug section?

EDIT --

BK can you test the F-18 also? I'm not going to have the time to test for the next 48 hrs.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I agree,

Perhaps move to the bug section?

EDIT --

BK can you test the F-18 also? I'm not going to have the time to test for the next 48 hrs.

Tested, it seems ok along wiht F-15, Mirage, Harrier, F-86 and A-10C

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Tested, it seems ok along wiht F-15, Mirage, Harrier, F-86 and A-10C

Top Work!

giphy.gif

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.