Weapon info

LoyalNine

Is there somewhere that goes into further detail about the different weapon loadouts in BS? The manual does not go into much detail at all on this topic and was looking for another source...

Thanks!

L9

[sIGPIC]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/16th_Relic/16th-sig.jpg[/sIGPIC]

AMD 965BE, 8GB RAM, ATI5750, Track IR4,TM MFD's, CH FS,PT,PP

"You can take my CH setup when you pry it from my dead, cold hands..."

yeah I guess I should have explained that a bit better... For instance this:

12 ATGM; 2 B8; 2А42 (12 ATGM “Vikhr”, 2 S-8 rocket launchers, cannon) [F2] – 12 ATGM; 2 UB-13; 2А42 (12 ATGM “Vikhr”, 2 S-13 rocket launchers, cannon) [F3] – 12 ATGM; 2 UPK-23; 2А42 (12 ATGM “Vikhr”, 2 UPK-23 gunpods, cannon) [F4] – 12 ATGM; 2 KMGU (Anti tank); 2А42 (12 ATGM “Vikhr”, 2 KMGU with anti tanks
I want to know for instance what is a B8, how is it different from a UB-13 -- what does it look like (aside from changing the loadout and looking out the window). What targets is each used for... ect. Something with some pictures and explaination of each weapon would be helpful rather than just listing them out. I could be installing a thermo nuclear bomb to my belly for all I know.

I know the basics but thats about it... Thnaks very much for the reply.

L9

Edited by LoyalNine

[sIGPIC]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/16th_Relic/16th-sig.jpg[/sIGPIC]

I agree, even though I have a good sense of what the different weapons do, it would be nice with a real life description of when different weapons are used and which is preferred in different situations on the Ka-50 of course.

not so helpful...

Well I agree that all this info is in the ingame encyclopaedia, how is it not helpful to point that out?

Or is the OP really saying "ya know, I can't be arsed looking around for this info, can someone else do the work and post it here for me?" Maybe so, maybe not. I hope not.

It would be nice if all this info was in a summarised, offline form but someone's gotta do the work. To my knowledge it's not been done.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

The rockets are typically labeled according to diameter.

The B-8 is an 80mm rocket with various warheads, used as airborne artillery typically to destroy troops, light vehicles, and damage buildings. Other options are delivery of smoke markers and illumination flares.

The UB-13 is a 130mm rocket launcher whose main purpose is to destroy hardened targets such as aircraft shelters, bunkers, etc.

The Vikhr, as you know, is an ATGM; it features a tandem warhead for defeating explosive type armor, as well as a fragmentation belt enabling it to be used against soft targets and troops. It also features a proximity fuze for air to air work.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The rockets are typically labeled according to diameter.

The B-8 is an 80mm rocket with various warheads, used as airborne artillery typically to destroy troops, light vehicles, and damage buildings. Other options are delivery of smoke markers and illumination flares.

The UB-13 is a 130mm rocket launcher whose main purpose is to destroy hardened targets such as aircraft shelters, bunkers, etc.

The Vikhr, as you know, is an ATGM; it features a tandem warhead for defeating explosive type armor, as well as a fragmentation belt enabling it to be used against soft targets and troops. It also features a proximity fuze for air to air work.

Is more detailed information about the Vikhr classified or is it possible to find some more information on how the missile works in greater detail (Wiki etc. doesn't help much)? (Where does ED get their information about the weapons when they model them in the game?)

ED worked with Kamov, so I would speculate that this is their source.

What else would you like to know about how this missile works?

I can for starters tell you that the laser detectors are in the tail and the missile flies while trying to maintain position inside a laser-projected grid.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yeah the encyclopedia is not so helpful for Ka-50 weapon performance combat employment info. I'll try to help clear some stuff up.

30mm Cannon (2A42)

Thisis the cannon mounted on the Ka-50 and is loaded with 240 HE and 220 AP rounds for soft and armored targets respectively. It has low (250 rpm) and high (550 rpm) rates of fire and is typically good for a range from 800 m to 3000 m. Personally I consider this weapon to be second only to the Vikhr missiles for combat effectiveness and range. Use HE on trucks, infantry, AAA emplacements and AP on light and medium armor.

550L External Fuel Tank (Fuel Tank)

Not exactly a weapon but increases the fuel load by 1100L for each pair added (compare internal fuel is 1,870L at 100%).

Vikhr Anti-Tank Missile (ATGM)

The longest ranged and heaviest hitting weapon in the normal inventory the Vikhr is fired in singles or in pairs and is laser guided from the Ka-50 onto the target. Range is generally 800m to 7km depending on altitude and speed. The Vikhr has fusing for ground targets (contact), air-to-air (proximity, late), and air-to-air head on (proximity, early) engagements.

S-8 Rocket Launcher Pod (B8)

The S-8 is a 80mm general purpose rocket carried in the B-series rocket pods at 20 rockets in each pod. Use salvos of 25% (med) or 50% (high) against area soft targets such as trucks, light armor, infantry, and fixed AAA positions. The range is 800m to about 2500m, less than the cannon.

S-13 Rocket Launcher Pod (UB13)

The S-8 is a 130mm general purpose rocket carried in the B-series rocket pods at only 5 rockets in each pod. The range of these should be greater than the S-8 slightly. The blast is larger but you have one-fourth as many.

UPK-23 Gun Pod (UPK-23)

The UB-13 is a fixed cannon pod loaded with 23mm rounds (240 rounds each pod) which have a high rate of fire. Probably best for convoy busting light armored or soft targets, close range air-to-air engagements, and attacking infantry.

KMGU Dispensers (KMGU (X) )

The KMGU dispensers are loaded with submunitions of either anti-tank or GP/HE variety (96 I think) that gravity drop out over a couple seconds for a "carpet" effect bombing run. The dispensers themselves are containers and do not fall themselves but have doors that open on the bottom of the dispenser. Low rate of fire setting dispenses one at a time and med/high dispenses both 1.5 seconds after button press. The KMGU is very effective if you manage to hit the target but requires overflight of the target area. The automated WCS does not altitude restrict dispenser release.

Freefall Aerial Bomb 250lb / 500lb (FAB-250 / FAB-500)

The 250 and 500-pound bombs are unguided freefall HE munitions that require release parameter calculation or intuition on the part of the pilot. I believe the bombs will drop as singles in the low setting and in pairs for med/high. The automated WCS restricts weapon release beflow 200m radar altitude.

EDIT: Got triple-ninja'd.

Edited by Frederf
  • Like 2

Well I agree that all this info is in the ingame encyclopaedia, how is it not helpful to point that out?

Or is the OP really saying "ya know, I can't be arsed looking around for this info, can someone else do the work and post it here for me?" Maybe so, maybe not. I hope not.

It would be nice if all this info was in a summarised, offline form but someone's gotta do the work. To my knowledge it's not been done.

:cry: Oh crap "Ingame Encyclopedia"!!!? I never even thought of that... I for some reason completely overlooked that. I thought he meant "encyclopedia" as in online encyclopedia - like Britannica. Which was, like I said - not so helpful.

This however is very helpful. Exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Edited by LoyalNine
Because I need to get hooked on phonics - my spelling sucks.

S-13 Rocket Launcher Pod (UB13)

The S-8 is a 80mm general purpose rocket carried in the B-series rocket pods at only 5 rockets in each pod. The range of these should be greater than the S-8 slightly. The blast is larger but you have one-fourth as many.

You got 2 little mistakes here since you write S-8 again instead of S-13 and they are 130mm not 80mm , other than that avery nice list!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-14 Tomcat

Rest in Peace

(and hopefully get reborn in DCS!)

(Dream came true about 10 years later, now the Apache please :lol:)

ED worked with Kamov, so I would speculate that this is their source.

What else would you like to know about how this missile works?

I can for starters tell you that the laser detectors are in the tail and the missile flies while trying to maintain position inside a laser-projected grid.

Ah, so the Vihkrs dont use a single fixed laser beam point to guide them to the target but use something like a grid pattern that is overlayed onto the target instead ?

I never knew that, I thought it was merely a single beam that layed a fixed point onto the target and the missile followed that single beam, never knew about the grid.

Its true that you learn something new everday :thumbup:

Ah, so the Vihkrs dont use a single fixed laser beam point to guide them to the target but use something like a grid pattern that is overlayed onto the target instead ?

It is only overlays on the target because the target happens to be in the way. The Vikhr is NOT looking at the target, it is looking at the helicopter to see the grid.

I never knew that, I thought it was merely a single beam that layed a fixed point onto the target and the missile followed that single beam, never knew about the grid.

Its true that you learn something new everday :thumbup:

Yup, the Vikhr is a beam-rider, not semi-active laser like the hellfire (which looks for a reflection of a laser spot from the target)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]