Saitek X52 Profile vs. In-Game Controls

I've just received a Saitek X52 Pro stick and throttle. I'd like to know whether it's better to map controller buttons within DCS: BS, map them using the Saitek Profile manager, or use a mix of both. I've initially mapped controller buttons whithin DCS: BS, and everything seems to work fine.

I've gleaned a few pointers concerning which functions people use most, and map to their sticks, but it would be great if you could share your controller setups here, also.

Thanks for your time!

C. Patrick

Saitek X52 Pro

TrackIr 5

DcsMax 1.6

Vista Ultimate x64, Intel i7 920, 6GB 3-Channel RAM, 2x EVGA GeForce GTX260 SLI

I'd use the profiler because you can use the mode switch and have different setups.in lomac for example i had modes for nav/landing - combat - emergency.you can map all the keys you need in those situations to your hotas and just switch.

That is pretty much up to your personal preference. The ingame programming is quite quick and accessable.

The profiler needs a little time to get used to, but you can program shifted functions, doubling the possible mappings and it gives you a mode switch as Mist3ri0 posted, which triples your buttons.

You can also bin combinations of keys to a single button in the editor, like instrument-light + ADI/HDI light or even sequences like CommSwitchToGround->OpenCommsMenu->Maintenance->ChangePayload->AT->12xatgm+S8->CommSwitchTo Air.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Hi Guys

Interesting topic regarding SST vs BS config. I have used both Saiteks latest SST drivers (Beta), Taken out any key commands in BS and keyed in commands via the SST and for some reason when using these it causes my PC to crash and does a re-boot. So I have reverted back to doing everything via the setup within BS. Now if any one knows way this happens I would great full.

Kurtz, I have downloaded your profile and will give that a go and see what happens. One thing I have learned is if you are going to use your key commands in BS save your profile it saves a lot of time if you need to install again. Timm

Edited by Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

Now if any one knows way thgis happens I would greatfull.

Theres three things ive changed regarding my X52pro-

1. Im using the updated input.dll that was offered up as tempory fix due to a know bug.

Link- http://files.filefront.com/13879427

In INPUT game was discovered sad mistake. The game does not recognize the key combinations in the case of utilities adjust INPUT various programmable joystick profile joysticks.

For example, this means that when you press the joystick button causing klaviaturnoe combination "Ctrl-C" game sees only a "C".

This is not the system settings INPUT inside game. That is, those who configure tip through the game interface may not have to worry.

We certainly correct this bug in the patch, but now, so you can use native utilities adjust joysticks, we vykladyvaem new library NewInput.dll, which is attached to attachmente.

ATTENTION! The library did not pass the full cycle of testing, so its use is at your own risk.

Installation:

1. Create a backup copy of the original file C: \ Program Files \ 1C \ Eagle Dynamics \ Ka-50 \ bin \ stable \ NewInput.dll (376 Kb)

2. Unzip the new file NewInput.dll (380 Kb) of attachmenta and replace the original.

2. The second fix was supplied by "Slayer" some time back.

-The SaiDOoutput is a service, it is under the services tab of Task manager , not the processes.

-Do yourself a favor and remove the lua-direct_output.dll from your "C:\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\bin\stable\" folder...or wherever you have installed the game.

This should take care of most of your problems

Link- http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=34158&highlight=x52

3. I edited my DCS controller config to remove all DCS asigned input commands except axis commands. eg: if I open my DCS config you only see keyboard commands, and axis. Do this in both "Real" and "Arcade" configs. If you dont do this then your DCS and SST profile may conflict.

Edited by Kurtz
  • Like 1

NewInput.dll (376 Kb)

2. Unzip the new file NewInput.dll (380 Kb) of attachmenta and replace the original.

Hi Kutz,

Thanks for info I had a look at that link, and tell you the honest truth I got a bit lost in all of it. I also took out all the commands in Arcade mode as well just to see if that helps. Touch wood I have started BS and no crashes so far. One thing you mention is take out and replace the "newInput.dll" where can I get a new one ? Mine is some 500kb in size. Timm

Edited by Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

Wow! Thanks!

This is great information that I hadn't stumbled across in my previous forum searches. The use of multiple profiles for flight, targeting, landing, etc. is a great idea that I would have missed.

Thanks for sharing your insights, and a big thanks to Kurtz for providing the profile download and excellent layout picture.

C. Patrick

Saitek X52 Pro

TrackIr 5

DcsMax 1.6

Hi Kutz,

One thing you mention is take out and replace the "newInput.dll" where can I get a new one ? Mine is some 500kb in size. Timm

Ive uploaded the dll to filefront and added a link in my first post. I dont know whether the input DLL was changed in previous releases since the bug was found. So backup your original first, then give it a try.

Also you may notice in my profile that I have the X52clutch disabled as well like BKL has stated. You will need to do this for the clutch button to be functional as in my profile. From memory I think Clutch button is disabled via windows control panel>game controllers. The clutch button is used to switch profiles inflight. A feature I doubt anybody would use, so disable it and use it as a button.

You can try my profile if you like. I use DCS config for AXIS commands, and everything else via SST profile. You need to combine the profile with the DCS controller custom config included for it to work correctly.

Link- http://files.filefront.com/13875735

First, thank you Kurtz for sharing your profile and the excellent layout picture! :thumbup:

In looking at your custom keyboard config file, it looks like you mainly changed the use of the numpad views and some snap views. It also looks like you changed the default "cheat" startup and shutdown keystrokes. I am curious as to why you made the changes. Is it due to your using a non-English keyboard or was there another reason?

All-in-all, a very nice profile. :joystick:

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

First, thank you Kurtz for sharing your profile and the excellent layout picture! :thumbup:

In looking at your custom keyboard config file, it looks like you mainly changed the use of the numpad views and some snap views. It also looks like you changed the default "cheat" startup and shutdown keystrokes. I am curious as to why you made the changes. Is it due to your using a non-English keyboard or was there another reason?

All-in-all, a very nice profile. :joystick:

Thanks Blaster, im glad I could help :)

1. I use TrackIR so ive no need for the view keys. So I cleared them and asigned single push wingman commands(num 0-5) for single play. The batteries are on NUM8-9 because the SST software would not cooperate with commands that combine "ctrl+alt+shift+E"(battery cover)

2. The Mode2 commands are just for night flight startup as im one of those geeks that likes to start his heli manually. I found that when I joined a night mission it would take me a minute or so squinting and trying to turn on my batteries in order to illuminate the pit for startup or NVG request. So in mode2 I can use the Toggles to light up the pit.

3. I dont use the cheat startup these days, but the reason for the keyboard change was that last year when I first purchased the Russian DCS the Saitek SST had issues with "WIN" keyboard combinations. This has since been resolved.

4. I also use Saitek Pedals, so this allowed me to free up the 52pro twist rotation for TrackIR reset. I required some free non conflicting keys to asign my TIR reset within my TIR flight profile. So I cleared Z and X the redundant default rudder keys.

I tried to keep my profile as simple as possible, so I can watch where Im flying rather than looking down at the keyboard. I can also click items in flight useing my trackir and "mouse1" which is on the throttle wheel button.

Anyway im glad you like:)

Thanks Blaster, im glad I could help :)

1. I use TrackIR so ive no need for the view keys. ... I also use it.

2. The Mode2 commands are just for night flight startup as im one of those geeks that likes to start his heli manually ... DCS:BS seems to bring out the geek in us all! :pilotfly:

3 ...issues with "WIN" keyboard combinations. This has since been resolved... understand

4. I also use Saitek Pedals, so this allowed me to free up the 52pro twist rotation for TrackIR reset. ... I see. I had been looking for uses for the twist axis on the stick. :thumbup:

Anyway im glad you like:)

Kurtz, I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I also have gone through the keyboard assignments and unmapped those where I need no keyboard input and replaced some of the longer combinations with one or two-stroke sequences ... makes it easier to assign keys to other uses ;).

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Regards "WIN" combinations as well. There are still none in use in my profiles. Theres a couple more reasons for this-

1. On my operating systems I usually disable the WIN key via the registry because I get annoyed when I accidentally tap it when playing FPS games.

2. My other input is a Cyborg Keyboard, on which I use the extra 12 keys it offers along the side rails. In Cyborg mode the "WIN" key is disabled.

3. The other ive previously mentioned

The only other advise I could give is if you do have a problem getting an SST asignment to work, I suggest go looking through the DCS config for conflicts in both REAL and ARCADE mode parameters. I found many commands had been asigned automatically by DCS to my inputs including pedals/TIR/X52pro. The config I uploaded should should be clean of conflicts.

Regards

Mick

Thanks for everything, Kurtz! I won't make any major changes to my profile, until my TrackIr 5 arrives.

Besides, I'm currently ABRIS and Shkval challenged, so I have some work to do before concentrating on the perfect stick profile.

Saitek X52 Pro

TrackIr 5

DcsMax 1.6

• 10 years later...

Looking for X-52Pro Profile

None of the links here to profiles work. It may be that they're too old. Can some suggest a place to secure a profile for my X52Pro for the F/A18C? I'm not a programmer and don't understand the Saitek software that is supposed to enable ALL 3 MODES. DCS would be the perfect fit for all it can do.

THanks,

Scott

MrScott on Discord (aka eFlight and Smokin1)

PC SPECS: Aorus Master Z390, I9-9900K@5.2Ghz, HC150Pro Cooler, 32GB T-Force 4133 Ram, 1.TB Samsunge 960Pro M.2, (20TB of other data storage in SSD and SATA6 too), EVGA RTX2080Ti KingPin Hybrid 11GB with LN2 BIOS. X-52Pro, Brunner MKII and Rudder Peddles. VR and or 3 55" 4K Displays.

None of the links here to profiles work. It may be that they're too old. Can some suggest a place to secure a profile for my X52Pro for the F/A18C? I'm not a programmer and don't understand the Saitek software that is supposed to enable ALL 3 MODES. DCS would be the perfect fit for all it can do.

THanks,

Scott

You will not be able to use the mode switching w/o the Saitek / Logitech Software, which is utter crap on top.

In case you really need those several modes, you will have to look up on the Logitech website / forum / on youtube how to do it.

Concerning DCS profiles: you'll achieve more, in the end, if you just look at the real life controls of the plane you want to map and replicate that on your setup. You will know what is where by heart, then, and it is pretty quick and easy to begin with.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

You can try my profile if you like. I use DCS config for AXIS commands, and everything else via SST profile. You need to combine the profile with the DCS controller custom config included for it to work correctly.

Link- http://files.filefront.com/13875735

x52prodcs1.jpg

Bad Link

If I have to register I cannot recall the name of the goofy characters.

Edited by MrScott
added

MrScott on Discord (aka eFlight and Smokin1)

PC SPECS: Aorus Master Z390, I9-9900K@5.2Ghz, HC150Pro Cooler, 32GB T-Force 4133 Ram, 1.TB Samsunge 960Pro M.2, (20TB of other data storage in SSD and SATA6 too), EVGA RTX2080Ti KingPin Hybrid 11GB with LN2 BIOS. X-52Pro, Brunner MKII and Rudder Peddles. VR and or 3 55" 4K Displays.