Cougar and Win 7 64bit wont play :(

Hi,

thanks for writing all that stuff down in detail!

Yes, I too went through all that in the recent days, and that because my Cougar didn't work correctly after plugging it from the old XP system to the new x64 Win7 PC. The Cougar error simply appears as following: some buttons won't work anymore. My ultimate test is: open Windows Notepad and push the bad buttons - Cougar has to send characters. But the bad buttons don't. However, the Foxy "Logical Flag Viewer" indicates the bad buttons when pushed. So they must be sending something, but I do not overlook, where the decoding happens and where it fails.

Of course I tried all the known and less known buttons in the CCP, downloaded Jagstangs files into the stick again and again, but it wouldn't work at all. No change.

I'm desperate - what can I try?

Thank you very much!

Ailer

• 4 weeks later...
but it wouldn't work at all. No change

I think we can (have to) wait for the next Fix.

I try it now for many times, and i lost

[EDIT]

For cougar on Windows 7 64 bit follow the instructions on this site:

http://www.cubpilotshangar.net/page105.html

[EDIT]:

many thanks, after reading this tutorial for 3 times it works now !

G R E A T

Edited by Fenek

Reload can save Live :megalol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to reinstall Windows7 and ended up with the same issue even though I had no problems in the prior install with the HOTAS working. After finding and reading through this thread none of the recommendations worked likewise. However I was able to resolve the issue this way.

Check your device manager to see what state the Hotas drivers are in...on my system the drivers where not being recognized. I do recall when I installed the HOTAS in the past, I would be prompted twice for the device drivers to load...this has not happened on my current install....even though the install software detects the cougar when I plug it in to complete the install.

Anyway, in your device manager, under each HOTAS device, right click and choose to update the driver. Then choose to search for the driver and proceed. As to where to search, in my case I pointed the search to scan the whole drive...luckily it found it. I repeated this for the IN and the OUT and whalla...after drivers where found and loaded, the control panel worked and I now have the HOTAS back...I hope this works for you as well.

PS...the driver install used was the 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1...found on thrustmaster website.

I just had to reinstall Windows7 and ended up with the same issue even though I had no problems in the prior install with the HOTAS working. After finding and reading through this thread none of the recommendations worked likewise. However I was able to resolve the issue this way.

Check your device manager to see what state the Hotas drivers are in...on my system the drivers where not being recognized. I do recall when I installed the HOTAS in the past, I would be prompted twice for the device drivers to load...this has not happened on my current install....even though the install software detects the cougar when I plug it in to complete the install.

Anyway, in your device manager, under each HOTAS device, right click and choose to update the driver. Then choose to search for the driver and proceed. As to where to search, in my case I pointed the search to scan the whole drive...luckily it found it. I repeated this for the IN and the OUT and whalla...after drivers where found and loaded, the control panel worked and I now have the HOTAS back...I hope this works for you as well.

PS...the driver install used was the 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1...found on thrustmaster website.

Tried that many times and it still doesn't work. Going to return it, try another cougar or get a video card. I'll make up my mind once I get there.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Hmmm...perhaps it's defective?

Could be, but this is the 2nd one and they both did the same thing. Who knows, both could of been bad.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

• 4 months later...

"Windows7 64bit" ALL versions and "Foxy" install instructions that work!!

"Windows7/Vista 64bit" ALL versions and "Cougar / Foxy" install instructions that work!!

Fixes "STTubeDevice203.dll, reinstall and try again" problem.

Disable "UAC" in windows should always be done, is a PITA anyway. Go to "Control Panel" and in "User Accounts' click "Change user account controls. Slide the bar to "never notifify" then click "OK".

Installation Instructions:

For 64 bits OS download the following driver:

DOWNLOAD>>

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/pc/hotas/exe/HOTASCOUGAR/2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1.exe

1. Unplug your HOTAS Cougar joystick.

2. These drivers where designed for Windows Vista, but if you install them on your Windows 7 in Compatibility mode with "Vista SP2". You can do this by right clicking on the icon of the driver and chose Properties. There, on the second tab from left to right, called "Compatibility", check the box called "Run this program in compatibility mode with" and, from the drop-box found below, chose "Windows Vista SP2".

3. Follow the instructions on the screen , with install completed you will now have to find and install a file called "STTubeDevice203.dll"

4. Look in your folder at location "C:\HOTAS\drivers" and find "STTubeDevice203.dll" file. Then copied and pasted the "STTubeDevice203.dll" file into "C:\Windows\SysWow64" folder.

5. You are now ready to use your Hotas Cougar.

Enjoy!

Edited by VF-51_Cobraj

Regards,

Cobraj

Commander - Air Group 51

airgroup51.net

Yes Cougar working here under win7 x64. Use the file 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1.exe found here http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=50&cid=1 and install it in Vista SP1 Compatibility mode with administrator rights. You may also want to shut off UAC for the install..

Out

Worked for my Win7 64bit Home Premium. I was getting the STTubeDevice203.dll not found error, and re-installing normally failed. but it was fixed when I used the Vista SP1 compatibility mode, and ran as administrator.

JETSKI

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok Next Question?

Windows 8.1!!

I'd tried all of the options for installation that would work for W7 but I got A big no! This is what's pop-uped;

The device is not connected, unrecogized

or not installed properly.

ERROR 14

Unable to write to device

Here comes the wired part, in Foxy I can use my cougar in Quick View and I can edit the files.

In Control Panel gaming Options I can see that the cougar is there and I can

Calibrate it also!!!

But CCP doen't work or he can't see him WTF

P.S.

In W7 it works fine I haven't got any problems with it.

Didn't really had a problem with Win 8 but after switching to a new computer and going to 8.1 i had a lot of problems to get my Cougar connected/recognised. I had the same problem as you mention.

After a few tries (uninstalling/re-installing), it finally kicked in and it worked but up to this moment i have no clue why it behaved that way.

On a sidenote: In Windows 8 i had problem with my CH rudder pedals when the computer came out of sleep. I had to to use the CH Control Manager and rescan for the pedals to make them work again when the computer came out of sleep mode. Now with 8.1 i don't have this problem, they work all the time but CH Control Manager will not detect my pedals at all...it's like they are not connected?

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Found this somewhere else, and it works for me. I have Win7 / HOTAS Cougar but this allows me to use Vista settings.. I think..

1- HOTAS unplugged

2- Install 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1 drivers (the Windows Vista 64 bits version)

3- Plugged the HOTAS when asket to.

4- Got the DATA IN adn DATA OUT driver problem as mentioned on the first post.

5- Went to START -> CONTROL PANEL -> VIEW DEVICES AND PRINTERS

6- Right click on THRUSTMASTER HOTAS COUGAR and select PROPERTIES

7- Go to HARDWARE, select DATA IN and click PROPERTIES

8- Go to DRIVER IN and click un UPDATE DRIVER button

9- Select BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE

10- Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS" using the BROWSE button and click NEXT

11- Windows finds the DATA IN drivers

12- Repeat step 8 to 11 but with DRIVER OUT.

13- Done, now the DRIVER IN and DRIVER OUT are installed and working properly, no more "hardware problem" with the Cougar and everythiong working fine, including Foxy.

• 1 year later...

What a F...NG pain in the .SS to install this piece of S..T! I remember the old days when I bought the cougar it was a hell of a mess trying to install it. Recently I installed TARGET software because I saw a YouTube video and wanted to give it a try (being used to Foxy) but since the install of TARGET, my cougar started to give me strange error messages not able to load this and that blabla. Uninstalled TARGET, still not solved. Even got freakin' windows message on startup asking to launch startup repair or start normally (possibly due to hardware change). Jeezus Christ man, uninstalled the cougar and related crap using Revo uninstaller to clean up all mess. Found this thread after trying to reinstall and getting the dll message. So lots of blabla and to come to the point, or what worked for me:

A combination of all posts here! Damn this piece of hardware but unfortunately, die hard simmers like us need it so there is no way to ditch it! We're stuck with it! Furthermore, to learn how to program the thing you either need to be an engineer who's good at programming, or something needs to be wrong with your brain.

What worked for me (quick no-crap-rant-rage-lines):

* Uninstalled Foxy, thrustmaster and residual crap using Revo Uninstaller (free) and manually deleted entire HOTAS folder (after backing-up my "profiles" and "files" folder!!)

* Disabled UAC

* computer restart

* I used compatibility mode (Vista SP2, admin rights) in 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1

* Connected Cougar when asked while watching IN and OUT drivers being installed by Windows

* Computer restart

* F.....g STTubeDevice203.dll message appeared again upon windows start

* Copied the STTubeDevice203.dll (located in: HOTAS\drivers folder) into "C:\Windows\SysWOW64"

* Computer restart followed by black screen asking to start windows normally or launch startup repair (possible hardware change is the cause)

* Normal startup selected

* Piece of s..t works now (HOTAS control panel)

* Installed Foxy

* Put my backup files back ("files" and "profiles" folders)

My rig:

My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/mWdlQk

PC Specs: Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz | GeForce RTX 2060Super 8GB | Iiyama Black Hawk G-Master 75Hz dual monitors |16 GB RAM | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth mobo | Saitek PRO Combat Rudder Pedals | TM HOTAS Cougar | TrackIR5 | Win10x64

• 1 month later...
What a F...NG pain in the .SS to install this piece of S..T! I remember the old days when I bought the cougar it was a hell of a mess trying to install it. Recently I installed TARGET software because I saw a YouTube video and wanted to give it a try (being used to Foxy) but since the install of TARGET, my cougar started to give me strange error messages not able to load this and that blabla. Uninstalled TARGET, still not solved. Even got freakin' windows message on startup asking to launch startup repair or start normally (possibly due to hardware change). Jeezus Christ man, uninstalled the cougar and related crap using Revo uninstaller to clean up all mess. Found this thread after trying to reinstall and getting the dll message. So lots of blabla and to come to the point, or what worked for me:

A combination of all posts here! Damn this piece of hardware but unfortunately, die hard simmers like us need it so there is no way to ditch it! We're stuck with it! Furthermore, to learn how to program the thing you either need to be an engineer who's good at programming, or something needs to be wrong with your brain.

What worked for me (quick no-crap-rant-rage-lines):

* Uninstalled Foxy, thrustmaster and residual crap using Revo Uninstaller (free) and manually deleted entire HOTAS folder (after backing-up my "profiles" and "files" folder!!)

* Disabled UAC

* computer restart

* I used compatibility mode (Vista SP2, admin rights) in 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1

* Connected Cougar when asked while watching IN and OUT drivers being installed by Windows

* Computer restart

* F.....g STTubeDevice203.dll message appeared again upon windows start

* Copied the STTubeDevice203.dll (located in: HOTAS\drivers folder) into "C:\Windows\SysWOW64"

* Computer restart followed by black screen asking to start windows normally or launch startup repair (possible hardware change is the cause)

* Normal startup selected

* Piece of s..t works now (HOTAS control panel)

* Installed Foxy

* Put my backup files back ("files" and "profiles" folders)

Did the same for me in Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Now that thing works like a charm under Win10 xD

I had previously installed the Windows 98SE/ME/2K/XP 3_HCO_2004.exe 6,4MB

This causes a lot of issues...

Then i swapped over to the Vista Drivers 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1.exe 48 MB :D

Now it works!

DCS: Black Shark 1 orig. DVD, Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, Combined Arms, A-10C, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy, WWII Assets Pack

RiG: i7 7700k@5GHz watercooled, 16GB DDR@4133MHz, Asus Maximus IX Apex, 2x 240GB M.2 SSDs @ RAID0, Asus ROG Strix 1070OC 8GB @1950MHz, 34" Asus Curved UWQHD 100Hz, 24"Samsung TFT, HTC Vive, 2x8" LCDs@TM CougarMFDs, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek PCDash2, Belkin N52te Nostromo, Logitech G900, G910 + G933 Snow, TrackIR5

CS: Hawkeye

Yes in Windows 10 it is plug-and-play

hm, not in mine.. have to use the Vista Drivers to get it 100% work

DCS: Black Shark 1 orig. DVD, Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, Combined Arms, A-10C, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy, WWII Assets Pack

RiG: i7 7700k@5GHz watercooled, 16GB DDR@4133MHz, Asus Maximus IX Apex, 2x 240GB M.2 SSDs @ RAID0, Asus ROG Strix 1070OC 8GB @1950MHz, 34" Asus Curved UWQHD 100Hz, 24"Samsung TFT, HTC Vive, 2x8" LCDs@TM CougarMFDs, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek PCDash2, Belkin N52te Nostromo, Logitech G900, G910 + G933 Snow, TrackIR5

CS: Hawkeye