Is there both localizer AND beacon tone for ILS

mooshim

cf. page 150

Not sure how (or whether, for that matter) to interpret the ILS tone.

I hear a low tone and a few miles from approach a repeated high tone.

Are they both from the same source? do they simply indicate on glidescope?

Could someone in the know help me out?

Just curious.

Thx

~Moosh

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"

I know on IRL planes the marker beacon at 4-7 miles is 400hz continuous Morse code tone, 3500ft is 1,300hz, and 1000ft is 3000hz. The localizer (left/right deviation) is received up to 25 miles EOR, up to 2000ft alt. The LOC has a three-letter designator transmitted at intervals to identify each LOC on AM VHF carrier. Glideslope has no aural tones, and gives you up/down deviation. The GS channels is selected depending on what LOC channel is selected, so no ID tones have to be transmitted. So if your VHF radio is off then the tones you hear are more than likely an EOR indication for the Marker beacon. That is just IRL though, not sure about in game as it is still downloading on steam for me. Getting it because im curious how many of the avionics systems work compared to what I work on. From the videos Ive seen the Pod looks almost identical to the sniper pod I work with. Hope this answered your question and I didnt confuse you too much. :thumbup:

Hope this answered your question and I didnt confuse you too much. :thumbup:

Does that post come with footnotes? :D

Not a bad post (for your first try ;) )...

One more post like that, my head is going to explode.

Anyway... Welcome, Sir!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"

To slightly simplify the first post (which is right on, just not so easy for someone that may not understand the concepts): you will get a repeating morse code tones identifying the station (ILS in this case) you have tuned, and as you get close to the runway you will get an outer, middle and inner beacon (can't remember if it has all three in A-10C, I know it does in MS Flight sim) tone to let you know you are X distance from the threshold of the runway. They are primarily to let you know you're getting close to the runway and how close. Hope that clarifies it a little.

What I want to know is: Is there a way to turn the damn ID off on the ILS? Once I identify the station I don't want to listen to it anymore. No military guys I fly with do that so I can't imagine that they did when they flew single-seaters.

What I want to know is: Is there a way to turn the damn ID off on the ILS? Once I identify the station I don't want to listen to it anymore. No military guys I fly with do that so I can't imagine that they did when they flew single-seaters.

Theoretically you can change the ILS volume or disable the morse code completely. In practice there is a bug that prevents you to do so, so until they fix the bug you will have to listen to the code.

Then what do the needles I can unstow in the ADI do?

Command steering bars. The ILS course deviation indicators tell you where the center of the ILS beam is. Command steering bars are a flight director, trying to tell you how to pitch and bank in order to find the center of the ILS beam.

My concern is that the ILS ADI needles do not work yet rendering ILS useless.

The yellow steering bars (flight director) are not working correctly but you can still do an ILS using the raw gs and loc data from ADI and HSI with steering bars stowed. More difficult but still very doable.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/