1.2.7 update deleted all settings and logbook

AlpineYoda

My DCS version was automatically updated to 1.2.7 per the usual process and is working just fine overall. However, all my custom tuning of my HOTAS setup was reset and required re-customizing, my display settings were all reset to stock, and my log book was deleted. I'm still working through it, looking for other stuff that was deleted or reset. So, two questions....

Why did this update do this (and is there an archive of my settings and logbook that I can use to repair it)? No other update ever reset everything like this.

Beyond the HOTAS settings, display settings, and log book, has anyone seen anything else get messed up? I'd like to repair everything else "on the ground" rather than discover more problems halfway through a mission.

Is there any way to recover the log book? I don't care about my records, but my young son flies from time to time and is really sad this went away.

Instrument and multi-engine rated pilot

SAR pilot with US Air Force Auxillary / Civil Air Patrol, Colorado Wing

Check {username}\Saved Games\DCS\ folder for your previous settings.

But I recommend that do not directly copy entire folder into new one. You may lost some new features of some modules. Examine and move them carefully.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Just chiming in to say exactly the same has happened to me. I loaded up DCSW today to find that all my created missions are gone, my settings (including all of my control mappings!) were reset to default, and my logbook is gone too.

To say that I'm unhappy would be an understatement.

Just chiming in to say exactly the same has happened to me. I loaded up DCSW today to find that all my created missions are gone, my settings (including all of my control mappings!) were reset to default, and my logbook is gone too.

To say that I'm unhappy would be an understatement.

As said above, check your Saved Games folder.

Also, if anyone with this issue has been changing the name/location of your saved games folder by altering the paths in the desktop shortcut (using the -w switch), this no longer works and DCS will have created a new saved games folder with the default name.

Edited by cichlidfan
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

As said above, check your Saved Games folder.

Also, if anyone with this issue has been changing the name/location of your saved games folder by altering the paths in the desktop shortcut (using the -w switch), this no longer works and DCS will have created a new saved games folder with the default name.

I had already checked before posting, thanks.

I changed nothing. My logbook has reset, my config has reset, and my mission are gone. :(

edit: I should mention that I'm using the Steam version.

Edited by KesMonkey

Nope. Old logbook is gone. All hours, kills, medals, campaigns, everything.

I even did a global search of all my hard drives for any file titled *logbook*.* and the only thing that showed up was the current log with 2 hours of time on it.

And, since the prior post said he was using Steam, I will note that I am NOT using Steam. So it must fail both ways.

Hey,

same happened to me when I did the 1.2.7 ups from last week.

Funny thing was, like half of my mappings were gone, some remained AND some axis had very strange values that I have never used or configures as I have fixed values for my stick like 5% dead on all but rudder, that got 8% dead zone and all have 15% degression set as well, those values were in general set to 3% DeadZone and 10% Degression.

Most of the buttons were remapped also to defaults... took me like an hour to fix it since I own all modules and needed to do this on 2 independent PC's as well.

No biggy, just wanted to let u know it seems to be not seldom to happen.

Files and Folders are ALL in default locations btw.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• ED Team

broken Input mappings is smth different, and is possible.

the case of everything (logbook, missions, settings) gone away is a different beast: it should not be possible. The only possible cause so far is when game starts to use a different Saved Games folder. This will happen if the game is started under a different user account or, when -w switch was used in dcs_updater.exe command line - as of 1.2.7, the updater does not support this switch.

The preferred way to switch saved games folder is to use dcs_variant.txt file:

the game will use Saved Games\DCS.xxx\ folder, where xxx is a text from dcs_variant.txt file from the game installation folder.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

I sent the "me" file as requested.

The whole thing just got stranger -- I went into the new logbook using Notepad++ to edit the flight hours, kills, deaths, etc like I have done dozens of times before (who among us hasn't deleted a death or two now and then?)

Based on ballpark numbers, I edited Flight hours, landings, kill ratio, deaths, ejections, etc to numbers that I thought were reasonable.

Then I reloaded DCS and found that my logbook was reset to zero again. As well as the progress I had made in a campaign over the last couple of nights -- the campaign that I was a couple of missions into was listed as inactive.

So..... I guess I won't be editing the logbook anymore......

• ED Team

The log file is too recent to tell anything, but:

Based on ballpark numbers, I edited Flight hours, landings, kill ratio, deaths, ejections, etc to numbers that I thought were reasonable.

Then I reloaded DCS and found that my logbook was reset to zero again. As well as the progress I had made in a campaign over the last couple of nights -- the campaign that I was a couple of missions into was listed as inactive.

It means that you've made a Lua-syntax error, and it rendered the file invalid. That's why it was "reset to zero".

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.