DCS Mirage 2000C Discussion

Bluedrake42

Latest test. The flight model still is a SFM, the EFM is still pre-alpha at this moment and not available for testing.

Have we any chance to see a day the famous "snake" hud symbology for guns ? The current symbology seem to be completely fantasy comparing the real Mirage 2000...

I think you already know the problem, but i re-post videos for readers that don't know...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have we any chance to see a day the famous "snake" hud symbology for guns ? The current symbology seem to be completely fantasy comparing the real Mirage 2000...

I think you already know the problem, but i re-post videos for readers that don't know...

Yes, you will see the gun-snake, but that symbology is not fantasy. It is the actual gun symbology that is missing the most obvious element: the snake.

All the symbols in the HUD are actual symbols used by the real aircraft. We do not know how many of them actually work, so we have to go by description alone and videos. In the specific case of the air-to-air gunsight there are two missing elements: the gun-snake and the radar-guided aiming point. Those are a bit complex to develop so they are a bit late, but you will have them eventually.

guns2.jpg

This is the gunsight of the -5MK2 and you can see the elements that are in the video, but of course your eyes are drawn to the snake.

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Yes, you will see the gun-snake, but that symbology is not fantasy. It is the actual gun symbology that is missing the most obvious element: the snake.

All the symbols in the HUD are actual symbols used by the real aircraft. We do not know how many of them actually work, so we have to go by description alone and videos. In the specific case of the air-to-air gunsight there are two missing elements: the gun-snake and the radar-guided aiming point. Those are a bit complex to develop so they are a bit late, but you will have them eventually.

Eventually ? (arg, i die)... I have no doubt that is hard to implement (many ballistics and vector projections/conversion) but, PLEASE !! do it :p

Eventually ? (arg, i die)... I have no doubt that is hard to implement (many ballistics and vector projections/conversion) but, PLEASE !! do it :p

Oh, we are going to do it. Eventually just means that I cannot give you a date.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

guns2.jpg

This is the gunsight of the -5MK2 and you can see the elements that are in the video, but of course your eyes are drawn to the snake.

I'm not sure, but i think you misinterpreted the image... As you can see in this video

the cross at the top of the snake is static, and i guess the quad-circle (in the image) is in fact fixed to the cross (so, is also static) but [NDR: <strike>you made it moving like a dynamic reticle</strike>].... However, i admit that there are many variants, and the good symbology is not easy to guess without any real pilot to told us WHAT is actually the real symbology of the 2000C.

There is another one here, where we can see this famous "dynamic reticle" along the "snake" http://s146.photobucket.com/user/sampaix/media/thk_f-16_intercepted_by_epa_m20001.jpg.html

EDIT: I rewatched the movie, the quad-circle is not moving... what is moving is a strange large cross reticle (temporary reticle ?)... Sorry for my bad eyes.

Edited by sedenion

Oh, we are going to do it. Eventually just means that I cannot give you a date.

;)

The word eventually is a bad friend for french language.

It is close to "éventuellement" which means "maybe" in french, whereas eventually actually* means "à terme, finallement"

* and "actually" is another bad friend also ^^

/french silliness off

Awesome work as usual, really looking forward this beauty.

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

;)

The word eventually is a bad friend for french language.

It is close to "éventuellement" which means "maybe" in french, whereas eventually actually* means "à terme, finallement"

I learned somethin today :D I effectively understands "eventually" as "eventuellement".

* and "actually" is another bad friend also ^^

yes... actually => réellement => really... actuellement => currently

outch...

I'm not sure, but i think you misinterpreted the image... As you can see in this video
the cross at the top of the snake is static, and i guess the quad-circle (in the image) is in fact fixed to the cross (so, is also static) but [NDR: <strike>you made it moving like a dynamic reticle</strike>].... However, i admit that there are many variants, and the good symbology is not easy to guess without any real pilot to told us WHAT is actually the real symbology of the 2000C.

There is another one here, where we can see this famous "dynamic reticle" along the "snake" http://s146.photobucket.com/user/sampaix/media/thk_f-16_intercepted_by_epa_m20001.jpg.html

EDIT: I rewatched the movie, the quad-circle is not moving... what is moving is a strange large cross reticle (temporary reticle ?)... Sorry for my bad eyes.

That reticle is the radar directed one. It has a dynamic arc that shows the range to the target. In your image you can see that the range is small.

The one in the video is the gyro stabilized one. It does not use radar. The open circle is a visual reminder of that. The true sight is the cross with the dot in the center.

At least that is the info we currently have.

The cross on top represents the position of just fired shell at 200 meters from the aircraft. The snake covers a distance between 200 to 1000 meters.

Edited by Zeus67

IS that a viggen on screen?

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

guns2.jpg

A lot of clutter in that HUD! Is it possible to unclutter? I.e. Remove pitch ladder and other unnecessary symbols?

EDIT: Sorry if OT

Edited by Svend_Dellepude
Overwhelmed by guilt.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

I wonder what SPOT, RDR JTX, DCY, A5EL, AAG, BE, TAC, and JET mean.

If you find ther french words i will translate it into german for you :)

| I9 9900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO] |16 GB DDR4 HyperX 3466 MHz | SSD EVO 840 1 TB | MSI 2080TI GAMING X TRIO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560 X 1440 | TRACK IR 5 | THERMALTAKE CORE X9 | HOTAS WARTHOG |MFG CROSSWIND|

Guys, don't look too much into it: the picture is from the HUD cam of a M 2000-5F, so not comparable to what we'll get from Razbam ;)

If you find ther french words i will translate it into german for you :)

Wrong idea, the 2000-5F HUD is in English. OTOH, the 2000C's HUD is in French: then you'll be able to use your translating skills ;)

Anyway:

RDR radar

BE BullsEye (bearing / distance)

ASEL (yes it's an S not a 5) Selected (capture) Altitude

F18 SPOT duplicate alert from EW MFD (F-18 radar painting detected)

AAG Air-to-Air Guns (mode)

TAC Tacan (air-to-air, inactive on the picture, no distance displayed below)

++

Az'

spacer.png

So does the gunsight predict lead on target, or just shell ballistics?

The snake is shells ballistic. With radar lock you have a point on the snake at target range.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The gun snake is a classic. I remember it from Falcon 4 add well. I recall it was quite convenient.

AFAIK F4 never had proper ballistics, but maybe that doesn't change anything. Always liked the funnel better though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.