HMS reticle "stick to target"

Nefron

So, I'm trying to use the HMS to lock some of the closer targets while maneuvering.

I don't own a Track IR, so I'm using the joystick hat switches to look around. The problem is that the pilots head position is relative to the cockpit, not the ground, so to say. So, I'm faced with the problem of having to chase my target with the reticle while maneuvering the helicopter. In real life this would be way easier of course.

Is there a way I can make my reticle/head stick to a point on the ground instead of moving with the aircraft? Something akin to ground stabilize, but for the head.

With the Shkval slaved to the HMS, look on a target and ground stabilise the shkval. Then fine adjust the shkval on the target and lock, then either use the caonnon or aim rockets via the HUDon the locked target.

In level flight You can also just look via the HMS on a target and then use the cannon. Adjust sight - shoot, re-adjust - shoot.

It takes some practice, but can be quite effective.

This should only be done in a low thread enviroment, otherwise better stick to the Virchs.

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Thanks for the replies, but the solution to my problem proved to be a simple one.

For some reason I thought that I must hold down the designate target button until the Skhval moved to the designated position. The problem was that in this way I used to drag the target designator away as I maneuver.

Apparently, its enough to just tap the button, and Shkval will move to the assigned position, leaving the HMS reticle to move freely in the mean time.

Great, its time for some gun runs!

Fly this kind of simulator without any head tracking device (TIR, Freetrack, FacetrackNoIR) bring just useless pain. :smartass:

It may seem that way to those of us that own a head tracking device, myself included, but people obviously cope just as well without (see above).

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I got my TIR literally yesterday and I've played sim games for over a decade. Painlessly. We really should stop telling people they need a $1000 worth of peripherals to even have hopes of enjoying our hobby. We're already a small enough lot. Sorry for the OT.

I will probably get Track IR somewhere down the road. I think a new stick is in order now.

For now, I'm doing OK with the hat switches and modifiers. Its not that accurate for head movement, but if I need to lock up that tank using HMS only, I'm too close to them anyway.

Anyway, the HMS symbol changes while I'm holding down the button, so that was probably the reason why I though I need to hold it the entire time.

Track IR is entirely worth the cost. It provides a level of immersion no other method of camera manipulation can match, and it frees up your hands and keybindings to fly the helicopter.

It's certainly not -needed- to play the sim, any more than a HOTAS stick or a set of rudder pedals are needed. But it all significantly enhances your ability to effectively fly and fight the aircraft.

We could live without most of our perificals...

I started flight simming without anything but a keyboard and still had fun.

Then I got a simple joystick with only pitch and roll axes, was much better than keyboard and had fun.

Then moved on to get a joystick with throttle and twistrudder, again much better and had fun.

After that I have got a setup with flightsich, throttle quadrant with 6 axes and a bunch of buttons, pedals and TrackIr.

All along getting those equipment I had fun and immersion have grown, but nevetheless I always had fun flying, also i the distant days where I had keyboard only.

So most stuff are nice to have rather than need to have, though I think the complexiveness of sims today requires at least a joystick with a throttle axis and preferable a twist rudder.

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

having fun and kicking ass are two different things....

DCS is a wonderful simulator and you do not need trackir to enjoy it....don't spent the extra $150 if you aren't already addicted to flight sims....

But, if you wish to kick some serious ass with the unmatched situation awareness that head tracking provides in many games, including the Arma series and most racing titles, not to mention every single flight sim that wishes to have my business. You need to consider purchasing or building some kind of head tracking device.

Some do say they have it and don't like it. I feel it to be very important to be able to look around with a more natural feel then what hat switches will allow. I refuse to use padlocks in anygame, in my mind they are a cheap, even though I dont mind servers that do allow others to use them.

When playing WWII birds and dogfighting very complex scissors and such....I feel trackir to provide a level of gameplay that cannot be match without it....in BMS with the HMCS its bad ass....Aim9Xs shooting off the the side is some cool stuff...in BS2, the ability to flight between buildings and look left and right with ease is pricesless....and its something I cant do without headtracking...

Others don't need it...good for them...I'm not going to argue about that, many will say they can do all I just said without it...but I refuse to fly without it anymore....

....a good hotas is $300-$400...add another $200 for a set of pedals.....ridiculous....

....if you already have a joystick or gamepad and wish to take it to the next level without a loan from the bank....get your trackir next....I can play with a gamepad or cheap joystick and trackir better then I can play with a hotas and no headtracking....and I've had to do it, so that statment is no lie...

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

The biggest advantages to TrackIR:

1. Being able to fluidly look around without actively thinking about it (like you would if you have to move a mouse or hat switch). You find yourself looking around a lot more when you don't have to think about doing it.
  2. The position of your own head acts as a relative "compass" so you instinctively know exactly where you are looking (e.g. back right high) despite the narrow field of view.
  3. Being able to free up the hat switch for something like trim.

This thread seems to have gone entirely off topic; it was never about TrackIR... Anyway, glad the OP resolved his issue.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.