Where to put predownloaded files to update?

Roadsweeper

I haven't played DCS for a while and decided to have another go since I have time, and obviously need to update DCS World. I downloaded the 4 bin files and the exe while I was at work (with my slow connection takes best part of a day), and ran it when I came home. Tells me I should use the auto update rather than put a new installation over the exsisting one.

OK, easy enough, run the updater, and heres the problem, it verified the files, then a got a brief message up saying searching for pre-downloaded files, then goes ahead and starts downloading the new update, all 4.5GB of it.

Ive already downloaded the files, but for the life of me I cant figure out WHERE to put the bin files so it finds them and updates from them instead of redownloading the whole lot again. Tried putting them in the root directory of DCS World and tried the /bin folder where the updater is.

Can anyone point me to the directory it looks in when it says "searching for pre-downloaded files" to save me downloading the whole damn lot again. Tried googling it and searching ED forums but no luck.

Thanks!!

The exe and the bins just need to be in the same folder when you install the sim. You can and should delete the old ver. you have on your system. Hope I am understanding you right.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Don't forget that it is probably downloading updating the entire content of modules you have as they do not form part of the DCS World package.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yeah I think you are right Viper, by the looks of it its all the modules updating too, I was going on the assumption they were all similar size to the Huey at 350mb ish, the A10 and the KA50 are well over a gig each, then theres the Huey, su25, p51, FW190 etc, I guess that could well add up to 4.5Gb. :(

Guess I'll have to wait another day to download all that, thnx for the help anyways :)

The autoupdater is also able to use files from another installation of DCS, if one exists (a beta install for example), and that might be what that message was referring to.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Possible to 'help' the autoupdater finding the beta files? Or should it be clever enough to find an open beta installation on the same (non c:\) drive as the 'main' installation?

With other words - can I 'force' the autoupdater to use open beta files or would that be useless?

Current DL is 'somewhat slow'...