Main Fuel Tanks Failure

Yurgon

I'm currently flying the Spring Tension campaign in 1.2.7.

I keep getting "Main Fuel Tank Pump Failure" from the Voice Message System, and in writing in says "RI65: pumps the main fuel tanks failure" circa 15 minutes into most missions.

It definitely happens with the missions that start ready for take-off, but I think I already witnessed this phenomenon on the cold start missions earlier in the campaign.

In most, but not all, cases, I got a "Icing" warning prior to the Fuel Tank Pumps message.

AFAICT, nothing goes wrong after the message gets displayed. Engines keep running and rotor keeps turning. :)

Did I do something wrong? Is there some kind of fuel system anti-ice that needs to be turned on manually? Or should the message just be ignored for the time being?

I've saved tracks of all campaign missions so far. If required, I can upload a track, but most of them are pretty long and boring and I just want to check whether this is a well known phenomenon before I upload a track.

The screenshot is from mission 8 "Extraction".

Screen_140331_022225.thumb.jpg.6237cb622205f294481f5e63eeb9a945.jpg

The fuel pump failure message is triggered when there is low pressure sensed tough the switch is in the on position. This can have two reasons:

- The pump failed.

- There is no fuel going through the pump any more.

I guess the second option is the cause for the messages you are getting. Result your fuel meter's main tank indication for further information ;)

John

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I don't know if it's me, but in most of the campaign missions I had only barely enough fuel if I used the default settings. A lot of the time I was returning home with the main tanks empty and sometimes even after I got the bingo warning. You can try adding 10 - 20% of fuel if you get this warning often. Performance won't suffer much and you'll have a greater margin for error.

Heh, first time I got this message I was in a steep climb to clear a mountain ridge. You can imagine the panic that ensued - "shitshitshit, my engines are gonna quit in the worst possible moment" - before I troubleshooted the problem and realized the pumps quit because the main tanks were empty ;).

Thanks for all the replies. :thumbup:

I think the main tank being empty sounds like a very plausible explanation, because I often get a Bingo warning towards the end of the Spring Tension campaign missions.

In terms of mission design, I think that's actually a pretty good choice. Other campaigns and missions often start with full tanks even if the flight plan just calls for a short flight. Starting as light as possible sounds reasonable, and so far there's always been enough margin for quite a bit of flight time left. Well, off to the next mission now! :D

Upload a photo with the upper center panel. The one with the fuel pump switches.

It just happened again, so here's the screenshot, and a series of screens from the fuel display (*). I guess it confirms the theory about the tank going empty.

(*) Don't know what any of them mean. I should really get an English Cockpit Mod. :)

mi8_fuel_tank_pump_failure_overhead_panel.thumb.jpg.c225ab28207518675c644cf61adf669c.jpg

mi8_fuel_tank_pump_failure_fuel_gauge.thumb.jpg.a249983843ea7e3ba2f74c71ac15df89.jpg

The first and last position of the rotary are not supposed to show you any indications. The other four are from left to right: sum of fuel in all tanks (СУММА), left (Пл) and right (Ппр) main tanks and the service tank (РАСХ). Your indicator is showing that you have no fuel left in your main tanks and a full service tank. So yes, that confirms the theory ;).

• Like 1

How dare you! :P

I've achieved a certain level of proficiency in the Ka-50 with the original version of the cockpit. But with the Mi-8, it's not helping my campaign progress having to mouse-hover over all the (many, many) buttons all the time -- and there's no hover-translation for the warning and indicator lamps. Guess I'll have to put up with being the "Warmduscher" here. :D

(Huh, what's an adequate translation for that? Wimp?)