Top of nose vent? What is it for?

Capt_Haddock

You know the vent on the top of the nose.

phoca_thumb_l_BORCEA%20362.jpg

Can't find any info on all my books on the MiG-21... I'm sure you guys must know.

• What is it for?
  • Why is it completely open at the back?
  • Wouldn't it create some awful turbulence in front of the canopy?
  • What is the bottle inside for?

Many sleepless nights... ;)

Help appreciated.

It's an Alcohol tank that's used in conjunction to keep the Radar electronics cooled down.

• Like 1

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

One of my teachers worked in FiAF with MiG's. He told us that the alcohol was delivered from Russia in barrels and also came with a small denaturing agent container. The agent was supposed to be mixed into the alcohol to prevent drinking it. Then one beautiful day SOMEONE ACTUALLY DID IT!!!

That someone had to visit a liquor store the same day...

Wow! Awesome stories. Thanks a lot guys!

So why is the alcohol tank inside an open vent? I mean, the back of the compartment is open to the elements and you can actually see the bottle from the cockpit. What's meant to come out of there? Some bleed from the engine intake to cool down the alcohol tank?

Whole compartment is sealed inside so no air is circulating between radar/avionics cooling system and cockpit.

Alcohol bottle is accessible through open part, so that technician can pour the liquid in the bottle between the flights.

Your image shows unsecured and lifted cover usually seen when technicians perform detailed checks or some repairs (and ARC channels setup IIRC) inside the compartment.

Power through superb knowledge, training and teamwork.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's an Alcohol tank that's used in conjunction to keep the Radar electronics cooled down.

I heard, from a former GDR MiG pilot, that this alcoholic mixture was also used to de-ice the windshield?

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

Alcohol bottle is accessible through open part, so that technician can pour the liquid in the bottle between the flights....

This shot shows better what I mean (It's a Lancer, but still). The bottle is clearly visible from the cockpit.

mig2105.jpg

Is this the service access you mention?

And wouldn't that open space create some unnecessary turbulence?

Thanks!

Compartment with alcohol bottle sits upon and bit behind the radar. Cover is aerodynamic shape. Opening allows quick access and additional alcohol bottle cooling with with cool air stream. Alcohol won't freeze at any altitude (atmosphere temperature) since it is almost clear (Google alcohol freezing point). No significant air turbulence is present. In fact, it might have some benefits to free vortexes generation helping creating the airflow with more potential energy towards the vertical tail. This is simple and effective cooling solution, typical for Soviet designs which are usually very practical and simple.

Try to find some good close-up images or cutaways to see how this cover is shaped and how the fuselage near the cover opening is counter-shaped. This is important since the neighbouring surfaces "add" to each other in a complex way. Clean shapes are usually not good for the airplanes aerodynamics, except in case of sailplanes and alike plane types.

Power through superb knowledge, training and teamwork.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]