Joystick "Black Mamba" from VKB FSC Europe

Maybe you need different type of sprints, instead of more springs , springs with variable tension.

AFAIK the WH springs only compress down from the Ball Joint , the Mamba from what i gather on the net , uses two separate axes for X and Y meaning that each spring compresses and stretches depending on the directions of movement.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my order a few days ago :

What I particularly like with that stick is that it clearly aims for a very high level of precision, efficiency and longevity with a scalable solution tailored to a range of different requirements (stick interchangeability, extender, combined rudder pedals, etc.).

(and it's a perfect fit with the Su-27 :thumbup:)

I'd like to add that the VKB team has been very helpful, available and efficient in every way. It was a great experience.

thats the way to go!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'd like to know if any of you is using a complex configuration with the Black Mamba, and, for example, using the selector switch (BVR/NAV/VIS) as a mode selector (and thus modifying every other button and hats accordingly)?

Would you use a printable reference layout? (A4 or A5)

Or even a tablet-ready reference image?

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Hi there,

I'd like to know if any of you is using a complex configuration with the Black Mamba, and, for example, using the selector switch (BVR/NAV/VIS) as a mode selector

I tried to, but it modifies the entire keyboard along with the joystick in DCS.

Hi Harle,

I didn't try a full three modes configuration myself.

I only tested a configuration using the momentary SHIFT function on a selector position (S1). Then I assigned a Shift button to the physical layer so that it activates a logical (virtual) button previously defined (in the logical layer tab).

Not a fast method but it seems to work without any issue as the device uses virtual buttons (up to 128 with the NJoy32 PRO controller).

I've just checked the result with the VKB button tester.

What configuration did you use?

(I'm not sure I'm doing it the right way.)

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Once I set it the way I wanted it to, I completely forgot about all those physical-logical stuff and how it works together. I just set BVR and VIS to be permanent press and designate them as modificators in DCS. I'd like to set them as modificators within the joystick only, regardless of the game, but have no idea how to do that.

Here's my current profile.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7103911/my%20default%20mamba.cfg

Edited by Harle

Thanks for sharing your profile.

I have completed a 3 MODES configuration using the 3-position slide switch (as modifiers).

It does not modify the PoV hat and the encoder inputs except for the button.

ZULls8f.jpg

I've used the VKB button tester as a visual reference and configured the three modes separated in three groups of two rows.

MODE 1 --> buttons 1 to 15 (button 15 is the encoder button - 16 is not used)

MODE 2 --> buttons 17 to 31

MODE 3 --> buttons 33 to 47

For example, the trigger (button 1) changes to button 17 in MODE 2 (VIS) and button 33 in MODE 3 (BVR).

One important thing is to define the maximum number of logical buttons in the Global tab:

58fTFmF.jpg

Here's the logical layer:

tsFB6LN.jpg

The last logical button (#47) is the encoder push button (configured in the reference #55).

You can define the logical button on any reference you want.

As you can see, I have many grayed out references because I kept a clear visual reference based on the button tester layout.

I did not modify the PoV, so it triggers the same commands in each MODE.

The encoder (buttons 13 and 14) kept sending the signals in the three modes. It may be how it's encoded, because if you don't assign a new logical button to each push button in each mode, they don't send any input in the new modes.

I hope this description can help you in your configuration, but keep in mind that I own the Black Mamba PRO and I don't have as many buttons/rotaries/... as you have on the joystick base.

>>> my 3 modes config file (experimental) <<<

(it behaves like a joystick with 30 buttons, 1 PoV and 1 encoder with two inputs (L/R))

Edited by Bourrinopathe

Thanks, Bourrinopathe!

Very informative. Too bad VKB didn't incorporate a similar layout description in their manual. However, you didn't mention what type of button you assigned to BVR/VIS-switch. Is it а simple button, switch, generator... or whatever?

I don't think I'll have a chance to take a look at you profile this week.

Edited by Harle

@Burnett:

Hi,

The firmware versions can be downloaded from their FTP (as well as the documentation and softwares)

>>> Mamba firmware <<<

(the recent v1.59A firmware you can see in the screenshots has been directly provided by VKB - I don't know when they'll upload it on the ftp)

(don't hesitate to contact VKB)

@Harle:

My pleasure ;)

The modifiers are mapped as : SHIFT --> momentary (without "track as button").

DbGMfjb.jpg

The lack of documentation is VKB's weak point. Otherwise the hardware is top notch. Same goes for the software even if the Device Config software isn't particularly intuitive (to say the least).

Among other things, I still have to test the macros feature, though…

Edited by Bourrinopathe

The lack of documentation is VKB's weak point. Otherwise the hardware is top notch. Same goes for the software even if the Device Config software isn't particularly intuitive (to say the least).

Well yeah, they are a bit short on staff.

As for the macros. I remember reading on their russian forum in tech support section, that there are some issues with macroses. It wasn't their priority task at the moment. So I'm not sure if they got around to fixing them yet.

Thanks for the info on the macros.

I managed to map one on a button but I couldn't find any way to record/define that macro anywhere.

Fortunately, I don't think that's a major feature many simmers would use.

So far, the Black Mamba has been a perfect match to fly the Su-27 with the default profile and the correct mapping within DCS.

For a non-EU customer:

Fat Black Mamba: $350

Black Mamba PRO: $300

(please verify the prices with VKB)

You will have to add the taxes and shipping cost. Afaik, it should be shipped using a DHL international parcel.

• 2 months later...

How to contact ВКБ

Hi,

You can contact VKB for a purchase or to gather any information, on their forum:

>>> VKB forum - order section <<<

Or, you can send an email (in english) to sales_en at the same domain address (vkb-sim.pro).

Both are perfectly active.

Black Mamba MkIII (Soon™)

Great news:

The Black Mamba MkIII is nearing the production phase (expected availability around July-August).

>>> VKB news <<<

You can step in line to get yours by contacting VKB and joining the waiting list.

I am now what, two years? on their waiting list. Ridiculous, if you ask me ...

What a bummer :(

I also used their english website to join the Fat BM waiting list probably two years ago.

I had to shake the tree to finally buy my BM Pro. VKB is a tiny company and they're not big on (english) communication, although it's been improved recently (sales_en email address (above)).

As I got mine from the eastern market, I may have been lucky with the available units though.

(I'm about to buy the T-Rudder MkII and I'll see how it goes)

Don't hesitate to contact them directly if you're still interested (even on their Russian forums).

(As a related side note, I've just bought the new T-Rudder pedals MkII and everything is progressing smoothly.

I should be able to test the pedals in a week or so.)

@Weta43:

"I'm using a VKB Black Mamba"

How is it?

Here's what I thought about it.

Now, a few months later: I still love it. I really like the feeling with the axis transitions, the precision (absolutely no variation with the 0,3% deadzone since), the smoothness and the gimbal build quality.

My only gripes are with the 3-position slide switch and the pinky (both of average quality and probably doomed to fail) - the hats and buttons are fine.

The red button on the left could be a bit cumbersome as the stick is not designed for the big hands (I wear L gloves). The transition from the thumb rest position is not smooth (at least for me) (nothing too uncomfortable though). I use it on a custom heavy stand like a lateral mini-stick.

Also, you can modify the stick tension with different springs

I have no experience with the Warthog, so I can't compare.

ВКБ is working on the MkIII and the Su-35-like compatible stick is still in the to-do list.

All I can say is it's a delight to fly the Su-27 with that wonder ;)

(and a resin/high quality plastic Su-35-like stick with high quality hats and buttons would make that stick near perfect) :music_whistling:

Edited by Bourrinopathe

This: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rapidproto/mechanisms/chpt6.html

In josytick/pedal are used negative or convex cam.

In Bauer Gimbal: http://avia-sim.ru/forum/files/p108_142.jpg

In Slaw F-16 pedal: http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=111946&d=1422124298

In MFG Cross Wind pedal (the piece that looks like a butterfly: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/tu4V8YE9n80/maxresdefault.jpg

In VKB T-Rudder Mk II pedal (can be used both side, one soft for helicopter, other with noticeable center): http://flightsimcontrols.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/1838902b921de479d7949ef4ee4376ea-400x300.jpg

Edited by Sokol1_br