Black Shark Radio Comm question

Rob8861

Hi Folks,

I have a question regarding the radio comm in Black Shark.

in the later missions of the Operation Medvedev campaign, the person on the radio tells me that if needed I have two "on calls" airborne units i can use: on call SAS and on call SEAD, and they are available via the \ and F10 commands.

However, I have no freaking clue what it really does. when I invoke the command, nothing happens, I get no response from them whatsoever. I also have no clue what SAS or SEAD is , beside the fact that one is SU-25 and the other is Mig-24. :smartass:

can anyone please explain to me how to properly use this feature. I am pretty good at flying the BS so I didn't really need their help, but it would be nice to know/learn how to properly command them.

Thank you,

While you might not get the detailed explanation you require about specific aspects of the Radio and Communications with JTAC, SEAD, SAS etc, I would highly recommend reviewing the Flight Manual first.

This is where you will find the most accurate and detailed information required to utilize the Radio(s) and their Frequencies. Then once you have a good understanding of each (and might already answer your currently posted questions, you can still come back here to get specific answers to specific remaining questions.

It's just a thought. I usually start there. If and when I have exhausted that to get the information I need, then I come to the forums (which is often !!).

Happy Flights friend.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Hi again Rob8861

I apologize for my earlier response. The manual wouldn't specifically help you. I'm not sure why I didn't comprehend your post when I first read it.

That said ... while the Manual can tell you How to Input information in the various Radios ... such as Radio Frequencies etc, Isegrim is also correct in that the Mission(s) you are flying, whether Single Player or Multi-player, will usually outline the Resources in the Beginning Notes along with the Required Radio Frequencies to contact those resources.

Again, having the information/frequencies is one thing; inputting it into the correct radio is another. I am currently trying to figure this out for myself ... with minimal success so far.

I know what needs to be done ... I'm just not very good at it !

But don't feel so badly ... I have landed at a FARP I created ... and still can't get Fuel or Ammo ... regardless what procedure I follow (i.e. door open/closed; radio switched to UHF2 or Ground Crew; Engines Running/Not Running ..i.e. shut down etc etc).

SnowTiger:joystick:

The f10 commands are different than other radio options. They trigger events that are customly defined in the mission editor. In this case they probably tell the sas and sead flights to leave their holding points and move in to attack their targets. Many times you will also get a message when you do this so you know that something actually happened but I guess in this case the mission creator didn't bother.

SAS: British Special Air Service? Rather unlikely, but I haven't finished the campaign yet so I don't know.

My guess would be that it's "CAS" instead of "SAS", which would translate to "Close Air Support".

SEAD is "Suppression of Enemy Air Defense".

When you're into military and/or aviation, you gotta love your TLAs (and four letter acronyms. And five letter acronyms. Well, any kind of acronym, really :D).

I have a question regarding the radio comm in Black Shark.

In the later missions of the Operation Medvedev campaign, the person on the radio tells me that if needed I have two "on calls" airborne units i can use:

on call CAS and on call SEAD, and they are available via the \ and F10 commands.

However, I have no freaking clue what it really does. when I invoke the command, nothing happens, I get no response from them whatsoever. I also have no clue what CAS or SEAD is , beside the fact that one is SU-25 and the other is Mig-24. :smartass:

can anyone please explain to me how to properly use this feature.

Thank you,

Had a look at missions in mission editor:

- To contact an of those SEAD, CAS flights using real radio settings you will need to tune your radio to 127.5mhz am in your Blackshark, by default the radio is on 124.0mhz am.

- Ralt\, F10 to call via radio, F1 - F4 (most probable) to call each specific flight available.

- SEAD flight is called it attempts to attack some SA-9 and SA-13 radar guided missile launchers, it may be successfull and it may not, Current AI behavour I have seen in other missions is very flawed or gives up an runs under any sort of threat.

- What ever that SEAD flight accomplishes, there is no feedback messages of any sort programmed in mission to say that: it is confirming you request, aborting mission due to being fired upon, is running in, Launching the missles, egressing out of area, splash one, Returning to base.

- CAS flight is tasked with taking out some T-72 tank columns - same again no direct feedback messages programmed as to what it is doing.

However if you are on there 127.5 frequency, you may very well get radio feedback on what they are doing, not sure.

To check what the SEAD and CAS flight are up to, you can park you ka50 out of harms way, go to the F10 map, and click on their flight and then press F2 to jump to their camera view, If they launch a missile, press F6 to follow the missile in with the camera to see if hits the target.

Cheers, Ian

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Hi again Rob8861

But don't feel so badly ... I have landed at a FARP I created ... and still can't get Fuel or Ammo ... regardless what procedure I follow (i.e. door open/closed; radio switched to UHF2 or Ground Crew; Engines Running/Not Running ..i.e. shut down etc etc).

Sounds like you have not set utility vehicles at your farp.

- Farp / airfield can't be neutral or enemy, must be in control by your faction.

- You will need one of the utility vehicles listed from each resource class below for each type of service you wish to have at your farp, and they must be placed within a 90 meters radius of farp.

- [RUSSIAN_FARP] = {

groundCrew = {

[RESOURCE_AMMO] = { "URAL_4320_B", "SetkaKP" },

[RESOURCE_FUEL] = { "URAL_ATZ-10", "ATZ-10", "ATZ-60", "GSM Rus"},

[RESOURCE_ELEC_POWER] = {"Zil_APA-80", "URAL-APA" },

ATC = {

[RESOURCE_ATC] = { "Zil_SKP-11", "KP_UG" }},

FARP = {

[RESOURCE_NIGHT_ILLUMINATION] = { "Zil_SKP-11" }}

[WESTERN_FARP] = {

groundCrew = {

[RESOURCE_AMMO] = { "M-818" },

[RESOURCE_FUEL] = { "HEMTT", "GSM Rus" },

[RESOURCE_ELEC_POWER] = { "M-818" }},

ATC = {

[RESOURCE_ATC] = { "HMMWV_M1025", "KP_UG" }},

FARP = {

[RESOURCE_NIGHT_ILLUMINATION] = { "HMMWV_M1025" }

When farp, airbase setup properly, you only have to open your cockpit door on landing to talk to ground crew (you can go through the intercom via switching the radio position if you want)

Rearm, refuel - Don't need to shut down or stop engines (just leave her idling).

Repair - You do need to stop the engines / rotor blades (I just cut the fuel flow via the two red levers next to your left hand and turn off the fuel pumps on the right panel(, when repaired you have to enable the APU , turn on fuel cut off valve and Fuel pump for left engine, set engine selecter for starter, ignite left Motor and watch left engine rpm until it reaches approx 40-50 and then repeat for the Right engine, once both engines above 40-50 turn off APU.

Cheers, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all your kind responses. I tuned my radio to 127.5mhz and then hit / F10 and got a response from the units. they basically replied back with "pushing to target blah blah" :)

you have to remember to tune back otherwise, you lose your radio comm with your wingman.

cheers

SAS: British Special Air Service? Rather unlikely, but I haven't finished the campaign yet so I don't know.

My guess would be that it's "CAS" instead of "SAS", which would translate to "Close Air Support".

SEAD is "Suppression of Enemy Air Defense".

When you're into military and/or aviation, you gotta love your TLAs (and four letter acronyms. And five letter acronyms. Well, any kind of acronym, really :D).

Thanks Yurgon, that's helpful