F-15C manual - strange indications of HSI Course Arrow & Course Window

LJQCN101

One of my buddies found this pic in the manual which is quite odd:

1z36s15.jpg

How could the Course Arrow and the number indicated in the Course Selector Window irrelevant to each other? ;)

Edited by LJQCN101

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

Are you mixing the course with bearing? The bearing arrow shows where location point (i.e. waypoint) is. The course tells from what direction you are supposed to approach that location point.

Edited by ZaltysZ

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

Are you mixing the course with bearing? The bearing arrow shows where location point (i.e. waypoint) is. The course tells from what direction you are supposed to approach that location point.

No I'm not. I'm talking about the number indicated in the window at the upper right corner, which should be 045 according to where the Course Arrow points at. I'm wondering why it shows 289.

Edit: The window is called "Course Selector Window", ref. T.O.1F-15A-1. Just a note for my side.

ekrrqq.jpg

Edited by LJQCN101

The indicated course shown in the course window in the upper right is manually set to the desired course/approach (set it to runway heading, etc.).

The course shown by the needles in the instrument itself show the current course you are flying.

if you want to approach from a specific heading, fly in such a way as to align the actual course (needles) to the desired course (window).

The course shown by the needles...

Guess you mean the Course Arrow. Well actually it doesn't show the current course you are flying, but still the manually selected course set by the Course Set Knob. In DCS F-15C, it is automatically set by game, and is better illustrated in DCS A-10C.;)

What's really interesting is that the numerical readout of "45" appears in the original LOMAC 1.x HSI image. The image, otherwise identical, was altered to diaplay "289" in the 2.x manual and continues in the current 3.0 manual.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

when you lay out a flight plan in the mission editor, the legs of that route have a distance and course ---- that course is what appears in the window

the course deviation indicator is also referencing that planned course - your aircraft relative to the flightpath

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

just want know, why the read-out of the course window is "289", not "045"?

And " in the original LOMAC 1.x HSI image", that is right ,or not?

Or , it was just a mistake!!!

THANKS!

It's a mistake...should be 045.

Course selector window and course arrow should read the same.

Edited by fitness88

when you lay out a flight plan in the mission editor, the legs of that route have a distance and course ---- that course is what appears in the window

True in FC3. The Course Arrow is automatically set according to the currently selected waypoint and the corresponding course (in NAV Mode). While IRL you have to manually rotate the Course Arrow by simply turning the Course Set Knob to set a required course in NAV Mode, a certain radial in TCN Mode, or a localizer course in NAV/ILS and TCN/ILS Mode.

What's really interesting is that the numerical readout of "45" appears in the original LOMAC 1.x HSI image. The image, otherwise identical, was altered to diaplay "289" in the 2.x manual and continues in the current 3.0 manual.

Well that's really funny. Hope ED can give us a good reason.:D