How does the pilot communicate in RL?

Arcto10

Hey,

Probably a stupid question, but how does the pilot communicate via radio in real life? Is it PTT or voice activated system?

I have seen on the HOTAS there is a weird paddle like think at the bottom below the pinki switch, is this the PTT button?

Thanks!

/n00b questions

technology_174a_004.jpg

If you notice at the top of the right throttle lever, there is a 4 way switch for the pilots left thumb to actuate.

This is the mic switch. It provides PTT capabilities for 4 separate radios (VHF FM, VHF AM, UHF and INTERCOMM). The pilot simply presses the direction for which radio he wants to key up on

• Like 1

Follow on question, what is the black lever near where the stick connects to the base? Next to the grey pinki switch in this pic:

http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/images/technology_174a_003.jpg

I believe it's called "Paddle Switch".

As far as I can tell it has no function in DCS A-10C because it's not mapped by default and there is no command starting with "Paddle" in the entirety of the Controls menu and nothing like "HOTAS Paddle $whatever" in the HOTAS section of the Controls menu.

However, the manual does include the term "paddle" a few times. The first occurrence is in the chapter on starting the A-10 in the section "Enable Stability Augmentation System (SAS)" and says:

1. Confirm YAW and PITCH SAS L and R switches are engaged. Position the disengage switch left and watch YAW SAS disengage. Position to the right watch YAW SAS disengage.

2. Engage all SAS and anti-skid. Press the paddle switch on the control stick to confirm all SAS and Anti-skid disengage. Engage all SAS for remainder of flight.

That leads me to believe that in the real aircraft, its function is to disengage SAS and Anti-skid.

The paddle switch is spring-loaded, so I assume that the disengage will only happen while the switch is being pressed in, making it a temporary override.

But that's really just a guess on my part.

The paddle switch, as modeled on the TM:WH does not exist in the real A-10C; it is found on the F-16, however. In the F-16, I'm pretty sure it overrides the autopilot/TFR.

The A-10C's paddle switch is not on the stick grip, but rather below it. It disengages the SAS and Anti-Skid systems until manually reengaged.

Yep. The SAS and A/S switches are spring loaded to the disengaged position, and magnetically held in the engaged position. The paddle switch releases the solenoids, returns the switches to the spring loaded position and disengages the affected systems.

Also, to the OP, the mic switch only has three functional axes in the real jet:

MIC AFT - Transmit VHF FM

MIC DN - Transmit UHF

MIC FWD - Per the Intercom rotary; VHF - VHF AM; INT - Intercom; all other positions inoperative.

MIC UP has no function.

Yep. The SAS and A/S switches are spring loaded to the disengaged position, and magnetically held in the engaged position. The paddle switch releases the solenoids, returns the switches to the spring loaded position and disengages the affected systems.

Also, to the OP, the mic switch only has three functional axes in the real jet:

MIC AFT - Transmit VHF FM

MIC DN - Transmit UHF

MIC FWD - Per the Intercom rotary; VHF - VHF AM; INT - Intercom; all other positions inoperative.

MIC UP has no function.

For the A-10C modeled in DCS you are correct but mic up actually does have a function in A-10Cs (LARS V12 TCTO).