essential joystick button assignments

luckyluca

any suggestions?

I'm coming back to dcs after many years and currently have a thrustmaster t16000m so a limited amount of buttons avail ( but could easily setup alt buttons using xjoypad ).

I just bought the huey sabre and fc3 and will need a bit of help deciding what goes on the stick and what assignments will remain on the keyboard.

Thanks

L

Simultools

• 4 weeks later...

I can only speak for the Huey, but the buttons I use the most are force trim, autopilot, flex sight up/down, arm up/down, arm select, rocket select, gunner AI control, and kneeboard. Oh, and the trigger of course! I'm still fine tuning the controls though. Also, I have zoom in/out mapped to one of my hats. Very useful until I get a TrackIR.

• 2 months later...

For huey you need to assign pilot trimmer, trim reset, pilot ICS trigger, pilot radio trigger

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

If you read the FAQ section

It’s important to understand that when a curve is set, it helps with control around the neutral position of the device, but amplifies your inputs away from the neutral position, making it less precise. Therefore it’s important to re-trim the helicopter controls (“T” key) when the stick is away from center to re-set the in-game neutral position and place the flat part of the input curve to the currently trimmed position of the device.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I use the trimmer reset button when doing auto rotations.

With the Huey trimmed for forward flight it is very slow to respond to the pitch up needed to control speed in the auto rotation. When trimmer is reset it reacts quicker and with more pitch control.

Yes, like I said Pilot Trimmer (T key) is probably the most used function. But still cannot see what Trim reset is good for.

Well you can't tell the stick current trim position except by looking at the controls indicator. This is immersion killer, therefore, I think, that trim reset is used to neutralise trim so that on takeoffs you get to put that controller into the sweet left and aft position.

Can you trim to that position after forward flight without looking at controls indicator?

I understand your concerns now.

For the 1st takeoff, it is already at neutral, so easy to set trim to hover position. The transitions from hover (or takeoff) to cruise and back to hover, I do them according to the aircraft behavior and reactions to my inputs. And for a takeoff after landing, the controls are already at the hover position.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't say I use trim reset much in the Huey, but it's handy to have at times, especially if your weight is changing significantly during a landing.

The MI-8's yaw autopilot is able to trim your pedals, and being careless with it can lead to a loss of control authority. Trim reset is incredibly handy in those situations. It's the fastest way to get your helicopter's tail rotor responding to your inputs again.

I have trim and trim reset bound to the same joystick button, and use a modifier button to select between the two.

With the MI-8 I also use a modifier button to choose between pressing the wheel brakes and locking them on.

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.

• 4 months later...
For huey you need to assign pilot trimmer, trim reset, pilot ICS trigger, pilot radio trigger

I see this a lot, that Pilot ICS and pilot radio trigger should be easilly available but am not clear on how they are different than just hitting \

Further confusing is that I read one of these (I forget which) is used on the real thing to communicate with the internal crew, which as far as I know does not have any practical use in game. Or does it?

Appreciate any info on this one, as I am constantly baffled at the options I see when it comes to radios (especially when I have the Transmit -Interphone selector switch on 3, hit \ then radio a tower and watch the selector move on its own to 2 for some reason)

I see this a lot, that Pilot ICS and pilot radio trigger should be easilly available but am not clear on how they are different than just hitting \

Further confusing is that I read one of these (I forget which) is used on the real thing to communicate with the internal crew, which as far as I know does not have any practical use in game. Or does it?

Appreciate any info on this one, as I am constantly baffled at the options I see when it comes to radios (especially when I have the Transmit -Interphone selector switch on 3, hit \ then radio a tower and watch the selector move on its own to 2 for some reason)

I agree, It's pointless having the radio key bind to a joystick button when you still need a free hand to make the choices such as F2, F3, F4, F5, F10, etc

Having to use the \ key is no different to having to press the F1-F10 keys IMO

I use a Warthog Joystick with an extension for my cyclic for the Huey, i always trim and reset trim, the reset trim is very important on flight maneuvers especially on landing approaches and tricky turns as well as Auto rotations. As an example - with my setup it becomes very apparent that the cyclic needs to be centered for landings because in a lot of cases if you dont reset your trim you will run out of nose up axis and find it very hard to slow and flare for a good landing. I use the Weapons Release button to trim and the Master Mode Control button to reset trim.

Edited by Strut

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

indeed pilot ICS (internal intercom) trigger is useless. I only set the radio trigger. Re-trimming is necessary as there are no stability augmentation FCS installed, and in general I trim nose down and pull back when necessary. Its like a horse.

• 1 year later...