Su-27 Flight Model Discussion

DarkFire

45 minutes ago, Iriya said:

Not sure about IRL but the flight model of Su-27 makes me feel controlling a brick. I mean, Su-27 loses air speed so quick when I reduce fuel flow which makes easier to stay in formation comparing to other aircraft. If it's correct as it be I'm totally happy with it. On the other hand, the flight model of MiG-29 is excellent thanks to update around 2018. I understand Su-27 is much heavier than MiG-29 and totally different aircraft by any aspect but still.

I haven’t noticed anything unusual in that regard but I guess it depends on how much fuel you have loaded and the payload you’re carrying. I know it seems slow accelerating in the transonic region but that’s a different concern.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

19 hours ago, Iriya said:

Not sure about IRL but the flight model of Su-27 makes me feel controlling a brick. I mean, Su-27 loses air speed so quick when I reduce fuel flow which makes easier to stay in formation comparing to other aircraft. If it's correct as it be I'm totally happy with it. On the other hand, the flight model of MiG-29 is excellent thanks to update around 2018. I understand Su-27 is much heavier than MiG-29 and totally different aircraft by any aspect but still.

Well being heavier should by itself cause it to loose airspeed slower(inertia) when cutting power, so it must be down to drag of the much larger airframe.  

1 minute ago, Seaeagle said:

Well being heavier should by itself cause it to loose airspeed slower(inertia) when cutting power, so it must be down to drag of the much larger airframe.  

It's not weight that you want to look at, but the ballistic coefficient:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

2 hours ago, Exorcet said:

It's not weight that you want to look at, but the ballistic coefficient:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient

Yeah thats what I said 🙂.

How quickly an aircraft at a certain speed and altitude will slow down when cutting power, is down to its mass versus drag. So if the Su-27 looses airspeed quicker than the MiG-29 despite being heavier, then it must be because the airframe of the Su-27 is proportionally more draggy than that of the MiG-29....no? 🙂 . 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Seaeagle said:

Yeah thats what I said 🙂.

How quickly an aircraft at a certain speed and altitude will slow down when cutting power, is down to its mass versus drag. So if the Su-27 looses airspeed quicker than the MiG-29 despite being heavier, then it must be because the airframe of the Su-27 is proportionally more draggy than that of the MiG-29....no? 🙂 . 

You're correct, I just put what you said together and provided the "official" term for it. I guess I should have added that I was agreeing with you, not disagreeing.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I apologise for my post, that concern comes from what I have heard about the handling of drag in the DCS. I've heard someone says missiles in DCS might have too much drag so it might applies the flight model of Su-27 too. I have no data or deep knowledge about fluid mechanics nor aerodynamics so just posted my guess and no meant to comparing flight characteristic Su-27 and MiG-29. 

Edited by Iriya

6 minutes ago, Iriya said:

I apologise for my post, that concern comes from what I have heard about the handling of drag in the DCS. I've heard someone says missiles in DCS might have too much drag so it might applies the flight model of Su-27 too. I have no data or deep knowledge about fluid mechanics nor aerodynamics so just posted my guess and no meant to comparing flight characteristic Su-27 and MiG-29. 

Holy necro thread. Are you carrying stores (missiles) on that Su-27 or flying clean? 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 2 weeks later...

After thinking about it for a while, I realized that the issue of Su-27s performance comes down to its engines:
They provide maximum power very slowly.

If you think about it, the acceleration of an airplane comes down to two forces: drag and thrust (ignoring gravity at the moment). Now I know that in DCS the Flanker can go Mach 2+ even with significant amount of fuel on board, the drag does not change, so it has to be the thrust. It seems that engines are just not quick enough to provide max thrust available.
I can't see anything else causing very slow acceleration of the Su-27 in DCS when its top-speed matches that of an Eagle or Fulcrum.

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro