[NO BUG] DSC Mig-21 effective ceiling.

DaveRindner

Well according to Wings of Red Star and Wiki MIG-21 has ceiling of 60,000 feet (18,000 meters).

In DCS with empty -21 and 1/3 fuel, I cannot get above 13,000 meters (42,500 feet). Above this alt. my IAS is barely 320 kph. Even with flaps and/or AB I can't get to go faster or higher. Pull in flaps, and it drops.

Obviously I know of no way to have a completely clean -21, i.e. without pylons.

The effective usable ceiling with two R-60 and 400 liter center-line, is around 12,500 meters (around 41,000 feet).

Edited by Cobra847

I usually enter a climb at ~950 km/h, then climb with around 15 m/s to 6000-7000 m (IAS is around 750 km/h by then). Then I engage the afterburner and accelerate to supersonic speed (while climbing). I usually level off at 15000 m with a speed close to mach 2. With that speed I could easily reach 18000 m while cruising >mach 2. Zoom climbing from this altitude took me up to 34000 m once, but there is no way you can fly there. 15000 seems to be a good supersonic cruise altitude for me.

Maintaining a high speed (and thereby a relatively low vertical speed) allows you to easily overcome the drag by a large AOA. Make sure your speed does not fall below 700 km/h or it will take a long time before you reach supersonic speed, especially while climbing a bit.

Another method is zoom climbing, as portman explains in the post above. I prefer my own continuous climb method.

I have used this method with a2a loadouts only...

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

I have used this method with a2a loadouts only...

I think that's reasonable. The only A-G loadout I could see the MiG carrying at 10,000-plus meters is a nuc, and I don't get the sense that mission planners would budget return fuel for a high-altitude MiG-21 nuclear bombing run. :P

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I posted the intercept profile by the book in another thread.

Intercept profile by the book: Accelerate after start to reach 950 km/h TAS by 1000 m. Maintain TAS until 10,000 m. Accelerate to 1200 km/h IAS and maintain until M1.9, which is then used for the rest of the climb.

The acceleration at 10,000 feels slow as molasses initially, but once past 1000 km/h the engine can breathe happily again and things start happening.

Reheat from the get-go.

Cheers,

/Fred

Edited by effte
IAS after acceleration at 10k, not TAS.