DCS Radio Mod/VOIP Implementation

Lennoxonnell

49 members have voted

1. 1. DCS Radio Mod/VOIP Implementation

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea

Now I'm sure you've all heard of VATSIM for FSX, where there are actual ATCs and what not. I think this is awesome, it really increases the realism in my opinion (obviously some people don't want to deal with all that and that's fine).

I think it would be awesome if there was something like that for DCS. Now, it doesn't have to be the whole 9 yards with actual ATCs, but at least being able to communicate with other aircraft via your aircraft radios would be sick. Obviously there are/were mods for this (TARS), but lets face it, you could never get EVERYONE into TS and connected to TARS. I think it would be cool if there was a community where you HAVE to be connected to TARS to play on their server(s). It would greatly reduce the whole on-final-approach-and-some-oblivious-guy-pulls-onto-the-active thing, for sure, but also allow different units to work together on the fly, by simply tuning into a frequency (i.e. UH-1s tasked with transport into a hot LZ could request hog cover).

But let's take it a step further: Full implementation of VOIP via radios into DCS World.

Obviously that would be a hard thing to do. It would likely take quite some time. But i'm willing to wait. In my opinion, VOIP would catapult this game into this century, alongside the new engine, of course. Also, with multicrew on the way, it would make some sense to implement VOIP.

What are your guys' opinions? Would this be a viable thing to do? Or would it be a waste of time?

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.7ghz | GTX 960 | 16gb Crucial Ballistix

F/A-18C | Ka-50 | FC3 | A-10C | P-51D | UH-1H

Youtube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IIRC 476th use TARS (Is that like victor radio - the Dan Hampton radio?)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I agree, it is something that DCS is lacking.

The work that Aries has done is outstanding, but I believe there needs to be an official solution. Aries does have its limitations, for one it's great for a group like the 476 who all are on one teamspeak but its usefulness on pub servers is limited.

Perhaps ED could bring towsim onboard and work towards an official voice comm. Just a thought.

Now I'm sure you've all heard of VATSIM for FSX, where there are actual ATCs and what not. I think this is awesome, it really increases the realism in my opinion (obviously some people don't want to deal with all that and that's fine).

I think it would be awesome if there was something like that for DCS. Now, it doesn't have to be the whole 9 yards with actual ATCs, but at least being able to communicate with other aircraft via your aircraft radios would be sick. Obviously there are/were mods for this (TARS), but lets face it, you could never get EVERYONE into TS and connected to TARS. I think it would be cool if there was a community where you HAVE to be connected to TARS to play on their server(s). It would greatly reduce the whole on-final-approach-and-some-oblivious-guy-pulls-onto-the-active thing, for sure, but also allow different units to work together on the fly, by simply tuning into a frequency (i.e. UH-1s tasked with transport into a hot LZ could request hog cover).

But let's take it a step further: Full implementation of VOIP via radios into DCS World.

Obviously that would be a hard thing to do. It would likely take quite some time. But i'm willing to wait. In my opinion, VOIP would catapult this game into this century, alongside the new engine, of course. Also, with multicrew on the way, it would make some sense to implement VOIP.

What are your guys' opinions? Would this be a viable thing to do? Or would it be a waste of time?

+1 :thumbup:

Check out Aries too. That's what we're using in RAF Air.

That would be this.

It's being done (and rather well, I might add), though it isn't directly part of DCSW. :thumbup:

Four posts up.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Can not agree more, whilst I am a user of Aries Radio, finding other users of the radio system (and walking them thought the install) can be tough. A vanilla solution would be the real way forward... Surely they can afford to add Towsim to the team!?

Edit: WHETHER HE WANTS TO JOIN OR NOT!