A2G radar?

ok, ive been thinking of this for a while now.

in any of the ground pounding planes, how do you actually seek a target?

EG:

you are given a general area in which targets lie, but not exact so you have to find them yourself, so how would you find them? is the only way to visually see them?

rekoal

How do you guys get close enough to these sam sites? I've tried to lock a Mav-D once they shoot. But im still too far away. The IR on the D doesnt even see the launcher. It picks up the smoke and Sam coming at me really well...lol... but i cant seem to get a lock on the launcher before i have to turn and evade the incoming sam. I've tried high and low altitude. Some of these sams (Buk and Tor?) just out-range the Mav-D. Any tips on how to get closer? Especially in open areas....

OK once you get the mud spike put it on your 3 or 9 o-clock until you can get a visual on it.

Once you spot it use the terrain to memorize its location so if you look away you can quickly reaquire it visually.

Make sure you have your ECM turned on! This will reduce the range that the SAM system can get a good lock on you. This will allow you to get closer to the system before it can launch on you.

Turn onto the target and visually aquire it through your hud(Using your terrain ques to find it quickly). Slew your mavrick piper and lock onto the target or ground stabilize near the target. Return to level flight and look at the Mavricks TV display.

Finnish locking onto the target using the crosshairs. Flashing crosshairs tells you are locked onto the target. Once your locked on fire your Mavrick and break away from the target releasing chaff and flares along the way.

Hope this helps Best Regards.

Lockon 1.2 Beta Test Team

Thanks Drone... that does help...

I have noticed ground targets are easier to pick up visually rather than scanning with the TV using IR. TIR is also a big help to pick up the target visually. At first i was cruising along direct to the spike scanning side to side, up and down using the TV with K or D's only... needless to say.. doesnt work so well..lol

Is there an ECM indicator in the A-10 cockpit? I cant seem to find it.... I've also been told the ECM pod on the A-10 only lasts about a minute for ECM protection before it shuts down on its own. Is this accurate?

Thanks again...

The ecm indicator in the a10 is just to the right of your right thigh. there are 8 small light indicators.

They (4)will be lit Yellow when ECM is in standby

They (4)will be lit Green when ECM is active

ECM will continously function while it is in the Active mode unless it is damamaged.

Lockon 1.2 Beta Test Team

Nice description Drone. Thank you!

I have been doing almost what you describe except for turning on the music. I've realized beaming the target helps but didn't really think about ECM. Pretty obvious though.

Things are a lot easier if you're in mountains. I get really brave with dodging missiles when I have some mountains to hide behind. I love to make them use up all their missiles then just boldly fly straight at them and waste them!

signature.jpg

---------- Click here for details ----------

Abit AV8 MB, AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1.5 GB DDR, GeForce 6600GT/256MB AGP,

CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals/Throttle Quad/DT225 Trackball, TIR4

The ecm indicator in the a10 is just to the right of your right thigh. there are 8 small light indicators.

They (4)will be lit Yellow when ECM is in standby

They (4)will be lit Green when ECM is active

ECM will continously function while it is in the Active mode unless it is damamaged.

Excellent.. .thanks bud...

:thumbup:

I've also been told the ECM pod on the A-10 only lasts about a minute for ECM protection before it shuts down on its own. Is this accurate?

Thanks again...

Who ever told you this is getting the ECM confused with the "Prichal" and "Klen-PS" laser designators of the Su-25K and Su-25T which automatically switch off to prevent damage by overheating (approx 1 minutes use)

As was said before, The ECM runs continuously until damaged (or switched off). I would suggest you use ECM sparingly, especially on Multiplayer when fighters are about. It throws up a big “I am here sign” to them and you might be killed by a friendly or by a HOJ shot.

ok, ive been thinking of this for a while now.

in any of the ground pounding planes, how do you actually seek a target?

EG:

you are given a general area in which targets lie, but not exact so you have to find them yourself, so how would you find them? is the only way to visually see them?

rekoal

You mentioned any of the ground pounding planes- the T frog is a bad-azz SEAD plane when it comes to the missile systems like Tungs, OSA and larger. That fantas pod is the ultimate fuzzbuster!

It ain't so hot for short range gun systems because by the time they spike you- you are right on top of them. Since the T is about as agile as your average iceberg :joystick: - you might like to make one run to lock down the area of the threat, then make another run to actually kill it. The Vikhr's, 29T's, and 25ML's are great as long as you know where the unit actually is.

It can be left on, and it really needs a few minutes to heat up to operating use (i.e. unlike ECM you cant turn it on and it instantly works). I don't think this is modelled though, and to be honest I have not noticed any really difference with being shot at with it on or off.

Remember though, the A-10 was not designed and is not used for SEAD, so by putting it up agains a Kub, you are at a big disdvantage. Use ground masking, ECM, countermeasures and beaming the best you can to creep up to the target, then pop up over the terriagn, fire and run, get into a position that will hopefully mean the missile has no direct route to get you (easy in hills, hard on the plains).

Another great tip is to configure your mouse to control the TDC cursor. This gives you very precise control of the target piper, and allows you to designate in at least 1/5th the time in takes with the hat etc.

With advanced haze, and zoomed out cockipt, you can see small specs of black in the distant, these are units shimmering in sunlight etc. You can use this to roughly know where units are. Beware of units in the field on their own - likely to be some kind of air defence.

The lamp can be left on. It only protects you 25 deg left/right in the rear quarter however ... and it is quite effective.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yeah the ir jammer works, have a look at the SU25T trainning tracks, its the first time I've noticed IR jammers modeled in a sim since LB2. The trick to finding targets is a good reccon, unfortunately in lockon we can't do this but in F4 I do a reccon and record the grid coordinates for the target. Then I'd setup one of my waypoints with that grid and fly to it. In lockon I keep my eyes scanning for the sign of ground targets- they show up as black dots from a distance and in some graphics modes blink on and off. From there I use Mav Ds and ground stabilise to get a visual ID. The D with full zoom will give you a clear enough ID of SAMs and AAA in a convoy. They stand out as they are a different shape to the other vehicles.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Another great tip is to configure your mouse to control the TDC cursor. This gives you very precise control of the target piper, and allows you to designate in at least 1/5th the time in takes with the hat etc.

Can you elaborate EXCACTLY how YOU do this in Lock On, I can get it to work, and it is more precise on small movements, using the mouse (if you have 3 hands), but it has some strange movement characteristics when used on the mini joystick (in mouse mode) on my CH throttle compared to using script in CH software.

(Edited somewhat, for my lack of grammar skills)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Zuki" Resident mud mover

CH HOTAS untill it breaks(for life)!

Not affiliated with any "squad":thumbup: