DCS Auto Updater stopped working due to Windows incompatibility

I have a serious Problem and I searched the Forum but couldn´t find something regarding the Problem I have.

I fired DCS up an hour ago and the updater begun to search for an update an got stuck. I rebooted my machine and since then, every time I try to start the updater a message appears telling me, that the application is not compatible with the Windows version I´m running.

I tried of course compatibility mode and what not. I can start DCS itsel, but without an working updater it´s kind of useless.

I would be very grateful if some kind Sir has an Idea what happened and what to do...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bitSP1

Win7 Intelcore i5 2500k

GTX760

8GB DDR3

Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed!!!

Did something crazy but it worked out.

I found a auto-updater exe in the temp folder. With this exe I replaced the original in the DCS World/bin folder and now everything seems to be allright again. Strange thing though....

Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed!!!

Having the same problem. For me its Bitdefender thats causing the issue,

If the updater would prompt me before updating i would have a chance to disable my antivirus before proceeding. For now, im copying the update.exe from another install.

You can download the Updater by itself here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 weeks later...

I too am having a problem updating. I have attempted to follow the instructions in the 'update, revert, repair' thread and encounter a compatibility problem with the CMD prompt.

Following the advice exactly as given I encounter a problem when trying to use to perform a repair as below:

Repairing DCS World:

In the Command Prompt Window,

Type: DCS_Updater.exe repair

Press Enter

After entering the syntax I get the following message:

"'DCS_Updater.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

I have previously found that if I have not used DCS world for a week or two and I try to launch the program it hangs on the updater. Eventually this causes me to perform a reboot of my entire system. In the past I have uninstalled the whole DCS World program including modules and re-downloaded everything from scratch.

Also, trying again with the DCS World desktop Icon I get the following new warning:

The version of this of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running.......

I am running a non-steam version. This is W7 64bit. I have no issues running DCS on high settings so this is not a spec problem as I can see it. If I go into the DCS folder I can launch DCS no problem. Its the updating that seems to be the problem.

Are there any alternatives to downloading the whole lot again?

Thank you!

Edited by JP8

I too am having a problem updating. I have attempted to follow the instructions in the 'update, revert, repair' thread and encounter a compatibility problem with the CMD prompt.

Following the advice exactly as given I encounter a problem when trying to use to perform a repair as below:

Repairing DCS World:

In the Command Prompt Window,

Type: DCS_Updater.exe repair

Press Enter

After entering the syntax I get the following message:

"'DCS_Updater.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

I have previously found that if I have not used DCS world for a week or two and I try to launch the program it hangs on the updater. Eventually this causes me to perform a reboot of my entire system. In the past I have uninstalled the whole DCS World program including modules and re-downloaded everything from scratch.

Also, trying again with the DCS World desktop Icon I get the following new warning:

The version of this of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running.......

I am running a non-steam version. This is W7 64bit. I have no issues running DCS on high settings so this is not a spec problem as I can see it. If I go into the DCS folder I can launch DCS no problem. Its the updating that seems to be the problem.

Are there any alternatives to downloading the whole lot again?

Thank you!

Check command prompts current active folder and make sure you are in the DCS/Bin Folder.

You cant just " Start, Run, CMD, DCS_Updater.exe repair"

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that I cannot simply open CMD and throw a random string at it.

I can confirm that I have opened the command prompt manually (WinKey + R) and pointed to the DCS World main folder and I have also opened the prompt within the DCS/Bin itself. Either way the CMD prompt is looking at the right folder.

I can also confirm that I copied the syntax from the guide exactly.

So it looks like this:

E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin>

I now enter the following:

DCS_Updater.exe repair

After hitting enter I see a message titled as follows:

Unsupported 16-bit Application

Also, if I now close the command prompt and go back to my desktop DCS world Icon which I would normally use to launch the program and which also does an update check I see the following new warning:

E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Chech your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Edited by JP8

• ED Team

have you tried disabling your antivirus when you try to update?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi BIGNEWY

Ordinarily the updater works fine with the antivirus running. However, I have turned off the security since but I still get the incompatibility messages as stated above.

So just to put some context to this, I hadn't used DCS world for a week and a half. Yesterday I went to use it and the updater froze. The anti virus was on (as it always is) but I have previously updated successfully with it on. The hang caused me to reboot my PC. Now when trying to launch the updater with the icon I see a compatibility warning. If I try to do it via the command prompt I get a similar message.

This has happened twice before and the only common factor in it is if i had not used DCS World for a while. In both of those cases I had to uninstall everything and download it from the server. After a brand new installation it would then update as normal.

But I can open and operate DCS world without any problems from the launcher within the DCS world folder. So it is the updater that is not working properly, if that makes sense.

Edited by JP8

• ED Team

Understood,

did you try http://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ and downloading the latest updater?

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm back.....

Yes that worked. The new updater immediately connected and downloaded so thanks for that.

Just a quick question though (and this might sound stupid)....I ran the new updater from my desktop and i noticed that it placed the downloaded files there too. I simply cut and pasted them to the DCS world folder and replaced any previous versions. Was this a wise thing to do or have I likely created problems?

Thanks again.

• ED Team

Glad you have it working. :)

In answer to your question, I am not sure, I have always run the updater from inside the dcs directory.