sambee99

Any one had a problem with the dcs updater updating itself

mines just stuck on the window with the bar having the green loading flash

i have bit defender but ive disabled it all but i dont know what to do

ive uninstalled it and reinstalled it

no luck

suggestions anyone?

Logs.zip

Got bitdefender too, before DCS updater asked if it could update i just deleted bitdefener since it would never let the updater through even when u made exceptions in firewall options, and then reinstall after,,, no problem now I have to reinstall DCS all together to get it to work again after the updater fails... so pls get the ASK if DCS can update back pls

[sIGPIC]www.vjokers.no[/sIGPIC]

Lately I've been getting this problem too, I also have Bitdefender. The only fix that I have found is to re-download just the updater portion of DCS and keep a backup copy in a separate location. Re-copy the updater to the proper folder in DCS and hit the repair function. It should work fine to update after that. I've had to do this twice now, it has worked both times, but it is a pain. Just make sure your disabling any mods before updating. Hopefully a fix will be published by someone, either bitdefender or eagle dynamics, that allows the two programs to work along side one another.

Obviously not a huge issue, as (apparently) not many people use Bitdefender, but I recently switched to Bitdefender after it scored well in a recent PC Gamer round up, so it might become a greater issue if others do the same.

My question is; why doesn't it happen every time? I do a reinstall, and things work fine, usually just long enough for me to get all my controllers set up again, then BAM! "Updating myself..."

for the updater issues, I think you need to zip up the autoupdater .log files in the dcs main folder.

when it updates itself it's basically the updater updating the updater if I'm not mistaken.

if it's getting stuck, then something isnt letting go of the files, whether a virus suite is blocking it or another program I can't say, I use Unlocker to see if anything is locking files.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm assuming that it's an issue with Bitdefender only because everyone who has commented they have the issue agrees they have Bitdefender as well...

At the very least, the coincidence is enough to, perhaps, warrant an investigation by ED?

The issue itself can be avoided by simply clicking "No" on the warning dialog, but I find it hard to NOT update software when I'm dealing with a reputable company.

Ho c'mon ! I was planning to switch to Bitdefender after my next formatting...

Bitdefender (with Kaspersky) is the best available, between safety and game my choice is easy...

I hope with DCS World 2.0 a new updater will come !

Anyway we NEED a new one !

NO MORE DCS auto start after update, we don't always update for play just after, in fact almost everytime I update its because I have free time where my bandwidth is not used by something else and i just updating for the next time I'll play, the autostart is more annoying than anything else...

Better download speed, I can't use steam version cause of my KA-50 Upgrade (don't want to manually update it at every DCS update) and the actual updater is awfully slow !

Start with a decent speed then goes crazily slow for no reasons ! (won't be surprising if he fight against temps files that accumulate and are never dump or something like this)

And one that will NOT be block by Bitdefender !

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Please, ask Bitdefender for this one. You are their client.

Not yet, not yet :music_whistling:

That's why I'm not sure about why it block because I can't check it so I don't state that it is your fault, just that if a new one come, it will be nice if it is not seen as a false positive by AV like Bitdefender, maybe there is a network feature in the updater that actually match with a backdoor virus and make Bitdefender see it as a threat, idk, not yet learn how AV and their signature system work...

But yeah I guess they should fix the false positive detection on this one...But I'm afraid that it will take a while for them to do it, like everytime we ask a big company to fix compatibility issue with smaller one, they throw it in the ultra long term pending list...

But will it mean that we will get the others updater improvement from ED for 2.0 ? :megalol:

Since 2.0 will probably require to reinstall DCS, a new different launcher won't be a problem I imagine (except the time it will, require to be done)...

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

I've never had Bitdefender list anything as blocked, nor anything detected as a threat, so I can't even say it's being blocked. In fact, DCS has never been mentioned in the Events list in any capacity.

The ONLY reason Bitdefender comes into the conversation is I have yet to see anyone with the updating issue NOT have Bitdefender...

@Demongornot: what is the issue with the current updater? If an update is available, you get a popup if you want to apply it. If you click "yes", it updates DCS and then starts DCS. If you click "no", it just starts DCS. Do you just want to update DCS, but not start it afterwards? Just run the updater from the ED Start Menu entry ...?

And regarding the D/L speed: if it is not a huge update where everyone is eager to apply it, it sometimes can get a tiny bit slowly. I suspect the hour when DCS2 hits the servers, it will probably a bit ... slow. But the usual updates (i.e. the last patches 1.2... dunno 10 up to now 16) were always very quick. For me. Maybe your ISP is the real issue here?

75% of the time I have updated DCS, I did not want it to start itself afterwards indeed !

I have, yesterday after reading your answer update my DCS to the 1.2.16 just for both updating it and testing if it start or not, and well I did not want it to start indeed, only to update even if I also wanted to check, I mainly wanted to update the time I prepare my bed and go sleeping, not wait DCS to load his main menu only to close it...And it started !

And since anyway the updater always start DCS by itself...I simply directly use the updater as a main DCS shortcut, in the rare case where a patch was available before I start the game so I will directly update and play...And anyway even there the main DCS start for nothing since I almost only play on multiplayer...

And with the actual split interface between main menu and game/multiplayer, starting the main DCS for playing online is also a pain, since the main menu close itself for opening the MP, when we play for long on the MP and just want to leave DCS because we have finish playing and sometime we want to shutdown our computer just after, for example if we leave cause we have something important to do, we have not see the time and we are late, or something that can't wait happen, or being ultra tired and want to go to sleep ASAP, this is ultra frustrating to having DCS main menu automatically comeback after we leave the MP...

The Updater always auto start DCS, and it should ONLY be here to update, not to run the game...Or at least after an update ask if we want or not to launch DCS...

And it depend, almost everytime, I update something like one week after the patch is release (Sometime I don't fly for long period) then while updating, sometimes, like this time, I have my maximum DL speed AKA 1.5/6 Mo/s, and sometime it simply goes down to 150Ko/s for no apparent reasons...

This is not at all from me, if I test with any bandwidth speed test website, I get my maximum DL speed, if I launch something else meanwhile to check, I'll also get the maximum DL speed, I have a huge library of game on Steam and this is rare that I have a day without at least one update, most of the time this is 2 or 3 updates per day, sometimes even 5 to 7, and except on extremely rare occasions, it never DL at something else than the maximum DL speed, and as long as DCS have put the updater system, I have almost never get a full patch download at regular/maximum speed...

And since at a certain period I was installing audio mods and that DCS always erase mods to download again every files, having more than 1Go at less than 150Ko/s is painful...

Edited by Demongornot

• 2 months later...

Same here, sick of my download speed dropping to 0.8mb on updates and taking hours when other updates use my normal download speed, yesterdays attempt was a total failure, ruined the working installation somehow, so had to reinstall DCS world from scratch again, and now back to updating it at 0.8mb. And all this is doing is wasting my monthly GB allowance by having to do it twice.