What to Buy

Hi All

I recently installed DCS World and have to say I was blown away. Now there is a sale and want to know if it would be better buying FC3 or just the single module planes.

Does FC3 use the DCS World Graphics etc, as i have started downloading some great mods for it.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Hi,

There is only one thing you need to know before buying modules: FC3 aircraft systems are simplified (in the same way they are in the Su-25T), while single modules have fully clickable cockpits and detailed systems.

A lot of fun can be had with FC3 planes, but this is also true for single modules (which may take longer to master, however).

Just take advantage of the sale to buy what you're interested in!

Does FC3 use the DCS World Graphics etc, as i have started downloading some great mods for it.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

FC3 will be installed into DCS:World, so all in one game.

i would recommend buying FC3 + one other modul you may like just because of the plane in it.

i.e.:

- you have rudderpedals: get a chopper or piston engine

- you want to see the maximum DCS can offer atm? go for mig-21 or A-10C

just beware:

A-10A, F-15C, Su-27 and Su-25 are INCLUDED in FC3, so not needed to buy seperatly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Do you mean the single module FC3 planes, ie. F-15C, Su-27, A-10A, and Su-25? I'd say get the FC3 package versus buying the FC3 planes individually. It's only $12 and you get the Su-33 and Mig-29 as well.

Yes, they use the exact same graphics engine and game engine as all DCS World modules.

It depends on your experience, time available to dedicate to the hobby, and of course interest.

The FC3 module is an easy(er) way to start. A10C is the most complex and detailed module. For the fun of just flying, doing circuits and aerobatics, I would recommend the P51 (but you have the civilian version for free already). If you're a chopperhead, your options are also good, just pick one!!

As I was telling a friend the other day, new to DCS, keep in mind that if you're not ready to read a lot, be it manuals, this forums and other sources, you'll be wasting your money. The learning curve is always steep... And you'll need to play around with the mission editor.

Cheers guys for the help. Just this minute bought FC3 to start. I have always liked the more technical side of flight specialy the fighter jets and this will help me get back into it a little quicker. Used IL-2 a lot with all the new mods available and FSX etc. Had the original Lock On so had some idea.

If funds allow, I am going to look down the list and see what else might tempt me. Like a kid in a candy shop.

Once again, thanks for the replies. Much appreciated

Steve

Must be super exciting to discover DCS World now with so many choices!

Back in 2009 we only had the <most excellent> Black Shark, and were waiting like starving dogs for any news on the A-10C.

To me, flight simming doesn't get boring with time, but instead only more exciting and intriguing. :)

Must be super exciting to discover DCS World now with so many choices!

Back in 2009 we only had the <most excellent> Black Shark, and were waiting like starving dogs for any news on the A-10C.

To me, flight simming doesn't get boring with time, but instead only more exciting and intriguing. :)

Like this comment.

I also have been around since the start. So yes, things have never been so good for simmers. I'm actually building a cockpit because of how impressed I am. It's worth doing now.

The F-86 is a good starter plane on the study sim side. The systems are much more simple than anything on a more modern plane or chopper. And given the jet engine, you don't have to worry about things like mixture and radiator settings like you would with a prop plane. Honestly, it's a better trainer than the trainer planes currently on offer. Content for it is a little light though, it lacks a campaign and has only a few single missions. Training for it is also largely limited to what you can find on youtube. But as said, it's a simple plane. Getting it in the air and firing the weapons is all fairly straight forwards.

DCS enviroment works at best with modern era jets: for example you have modern era tanks, vehicles and bulding in the game.

FC3 will give more planes to pilot, an easy learning curve, and a lot of fun. If you played FC past edition you'll get that with FC3 but nothing more.

Single plane modules will give you a very complex game and you'll spent a lot of time on learning it. I'm getting a lot of fun from it too!

If you have a budget allowing you to go after more than 1 module I suggerst:

FC3 (to get more jets you'll quickly enjoy);

BS2 (to get a chopper and a complex module to go after)

A-10C (to get a complex and challenging module to go after)

CA (to enter the ground armor warfare point of view witha mess of options).